Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: PM's 'political trouble' prompted D-Day invite Reply with quote

WikiLeaks strikes again!

"Prime Minister Stephen Harper's "political troubles" prompted the French government to extend to him a last-minute invitation to attend the D-Day commemoration last year, according to a diplomatic cable published by the renegade WikiLeaks website."

Gee, and here I thought it may have been because both Great Britain and Canada played huge roles in the liberation of France and Europe from Hitler and the Nazis?

France feeling sorry for another nation...Is it me or do that seem a bit oxy-moronic?
HowieDoin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the 'inferiority complex' that Americans think we have....is this why many of us ensure that we have a Canadian flag or pin on our luggage, backpack, shirt, etc when we travel abroad? ....So that we are NOT mistaken for Americans?....Doesnt sound like something that someone who doesnt feel good about themselves would do.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have difficulty believing this. After all, Canada took one of the three beach-heads on D-Day. How can our country be bumped in favour of eastern European nations?

Come on, there's more to this ... The French may be impossibly arrogant and insensitive, but not inviting Canada would be the diplomatic equivalent of putting a finger in our eye.
Willg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents were in Paris last summer and they hinted that the French don't seem to give credit to some of the countries that helped liberate them. Of course, I myself haven't visited, just relating the general impression that they got from visiting some of the sites.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

France has been playing with Canada, under cover, since Pearson's day, and de Gaulle's famous "Vive le Quebec libre" speech. (At least Pearson had the self-respect to kick him out of the country.)

They helped finance separatism, and their official policy was "non interference, and non indifference." I probably means something in French, but what it really meant in practice is that they'd do whatever they could, without being embarrassed, to help Quebec break up Canada.

At the time of the last referendum, Parizeau clearly had the backing of France, who essentially were lined up to recognize the new state the second they got 50%+1 vote. Otherwise, the referendum would have been a referendum. It might have led to negotiations, nothing more. (I suspect that's why Chretien almost got caught flat-footed.)

And it hasn't really stopped.

But how do you ignore the country that provided such a major part of the invading force? That, in itself, would be a diplomatic incident. And why would Poland -- which certainly suffered far more grievously than the French in that era -- have a seat? (At least Poland showed some fight.)

Jump to: