Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sofia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Are Buddhists and Hindus Pagan? Reply with quote

They are not monotheistic religions. But not normally classed as Pagan. Is Pagan only European religions?

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they're pagans. Hinduism is an umbrella term for a number of religions in India including vedic Hinduism, yogic Hinduism, Vaishnavism etc. There are over 300 million deities in Hinduism and one "supreme spirit", Brahman. Buddhism is very similar to Hinduism except that it rejects the eternal soul, so one can be an atheist and a Buddhist. They do share beliefs such as Karma and rebirth.
don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potan wrote:
Yes, they're pagans. Hinduism is an umbrella term for a number of religions in India including vedic Hinduism, yogic Hinduism, Vaishnavism etc. There are over 300 million deities in Hinduism and one "supreme spirit", Brahman. Buddhism is very similar to Hinduism except that it rejects the eternal soul, so one can be an atheist and a Buddhist. They do share beliefs such as Karma and rebirth.

Actually this isn't entirely accurate...

On a side note - here is a question - if there is no soul - what goes on to reincarnate?
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don muntean wrote:
potan wrote:

On a side note - here is a question - if there is no soul - what goes on to reincarnate?

Their conception of human beings is not dualistic like in Christianity, there is no soul separate from the body. Its hard to explain on here because a lot of Hindu beliefs don't make any sense. For example, Hindus don't seem to understand the law of non-contradiction. For a Hindu, you can believe two contradictory truths at the same time, which does not mesh well with how logic has been understood in the west since the time of Aristotle. I'm speaking from personal experience when I say that a Hindu or a Buddhist can be an atheist. I've met several who claim to be atheist and believe in Hindu doctrine at the same time.
don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potan wrote:
don muntean wrote:
potan wrote:

Their conception of human beings is not dualistic like in Christianity, there is no soul separate from the body. Its hard to explain on here because a lot of Hindu beliefs don't make any sense. For example, Hindus don't seem to understand the law of non-contradiction. For a Hindu, you can believe two contradictory truths at the same time, which does not mesh well with how logic has been understood in the west since the time of Aristotle. I'm speaking from personal experience when I say that a Hindu or a Buddhist can be an atheist. I've met several who claim to be atheist and believe in Hindu doctrine at the same time.

Potan you should study before posting - as you have this all wrong!

" Hindus don't seem to understand the law of non-contradiction. For a Hindu, you can believe two contradictory truths at the same time"

R:

Actually ALL religions have contradictory beliefs - not just hindus. You could post some examples of what you think are contradictions...

In the sense of Buddhists - they do not believe in an individual soul - they have a concept called 'skanda' or a personality imprint - that 'imprint' is what goes on - like a cookie cutter 'soul'.

In order to understand why Buddhists believe what they do - you need to understand the times that Buddha appeared in [as well as what preceded him].

I was a Hindu for nearly 20 years and i never met one Hindu that is atheist - some are impersonal monists - but not atheists in the real sense of the term.

This is not my path anymore so I don't like to discuss it. That said, please don't post misinformation about Hinduism.

Jump to: