Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Ross Rebagliati quits as liberal candidate in BC Reply with quote

( so much for the snowboarder turned politician , but its almost sad to lose him as a liberal candidate as he was a gaffe machine )

Ross Rebagliati’s Liberal candidacy goes up in smoke

Stephen Wicary

Globe and Mail Update

Posted on Friday, November 19, 2010 6:18PM EST

Olympic gold medalist Ross Rebagliati doesn’t think his snowboard can compete with Stockwell Day’s Jet Ski in the next federal election.

“For personal and family reasons, it is with regret that I must step down as the Liberal candidate in Okanagan–Coquihalla,” Mr. Rebagliati said in a news release Friday. “I remain steadfast in my support for the Liberal Party of Canada and our Leader Michael Ignatieff, but the time has come for me to focus on new life challenges.”

Mr. Rebagliati is as famous for testing positive for marijuana, having his gold taken away and then later reinstated, as he is for winning the first-ever gold medal for snowboarding in the 1998 Nagano Olympics.

He announced in October, 2009, that he was seeking the Liberal nod in the B.C. Interior riding. He faced stiff competition, however, since the seat has been held since 2000 by Mr. Day – the Treasury Board President who once conducted a news conference in a wetsuit having arrived by personal water craft.

Mr. Rebagliati’s musings about the future of the monarchy had caused the Liberals some grief in February, but he and the Liberal Leader shared ambition to engage more young people in politics.

“I am sorry to lose Ross as a candidate, but I am thankful to have him as a friend,” Mr. Ignatieff said in the Liberal news release. “Political life can be very demanding, especially when you have a young family. I will fondly remember the time we spent together this summer in the Okanagan on the Liberal Express and all the visits to British Columbia where Ross’s support and dedication were always appreciated.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....le1806814/
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee this is a great loss for the Liberals... NOT! The stoner realized going up against Day was idiotic... Plain and simple.
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross might have had a chance against a backbencher in a tight riding, but against Day he was sure to lose. The fact he didn't have enough political knowhow to realize that was what made it clear to me that he's not cut out for politics.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
Gee this is a great loss for the Liberals... NOT! The stoner realized going up against Day was idiotic... Plain and simple.

i think ross , simply realised this was all going no where and didn't want to be part of losing or have his ego damaged . this way he gets to leave withit actually losing the election . although the conservatives may miss him as a candidate due to all the rediclous things he had to say . and likely not the last liberal candidate to quit either

Jump to: