Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Guergis vows to run as Independent Reply with quote

( i laugh at how she still claims she is innocent of everything , does that include the fake letters to editor , the airport temper tantrum and her husbands impaired / drug charge . she still fails to realise her life had become a joke and that she was no longer an acceptable mp for this government . and that she had become so much of an elitist she was out of touch with reality )

cbc.ca, Updated: September 16, 2010 6:47 PM
Guergis vows to run as Independent

MP Helena Guergis says she will run as an "independent conservative" in the next federal election after being dropped as the official Conservative Party candidate in the central Ontario riding of Simcoe-Grey.

In an interview Thursday on CBC-TV's Power & Politicswith Evan Solomon, Guergis insisted she is a conservative and "always will be" but feels her constituents have told her they want her as their representative in Ottawa.

"They’re very upset," she said. "They’re angered that their opinion, their vote, at this point has not mattered, and they have told me very clearly that they will support me as an Independent."

Guergis now sits as an Independent MP after she resigned her junior cabinet post and was kicked out of the Conservative caucus by Prime Minister Stephen Harper in April, then removed as the Tory candidate in her riding.

In July, the RCMP cleared the former cabinet minister of unspecified allegations forwarded to the force by the prime minister.

The Mounties informed Guergis and her husband, former Tory MP Rahim Jaffer, that it had concluded its investigation and found there was no evidence of criminal wrongdoing by either of them.

She reiterated she would vote with the government on Tory backbencher Candice Hoeppner's private member's bill to repeal the long-gun registry but would examine other House votes on a case-by-case basis.

Leitch expected to seek nomination

Guergis's comments come ahead of an expected Simcoe-Grey candidacy announcement this weekend by Kellie Leitch, a pediatric surgeon and well-known Conservative Party backer in Ontario.

Collingwood Mayor Chris Carrier has already announced he is seeking the party's nomination in the riding.

Leitch's anticipated candidacy shows the Tories are fielding an "ultimate insider" in the riding, said Tom Flanagan, a University of Calgary professor who previously served as Harper's chief of staff.

"They're not going to give Helena a free ride," Flanagan told Solomon.

Guergis wants 'conversation' with PM

During her interview on Thursday, Guergis sounded a conciliatory note when asked if she feels she deserves an apology from the prime minister, saying she believes it is in the party's and her community's best interests to "mend those fences."

"I think we just need to have a conversation," she said in reference to the prime minister. "I do believe that there are some people around him who may have advised him incorrectly on things."

But Guergis said she has had no contact with the Prime Minister's Office since the RCMP cleared her. But she said she has had several conversations with Conservative MPs and officials who have expressed "concern" the party has set a "precedent" in her case.

"What I find very interesting from those conversations is that they have highlighted that this is something that has happened to me … where someone has said a lot of terrible things about me," she said.

"It's been proven to not be true. To have no substance whatsoever to allegations, it could happen to them. So there is concern that, you know, we might be setting a precedent here as we go forward."

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-sto.....d=25602882
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rightly or wrongly so,
You need to do what you can to purge yourself of the negative soundbytes within your party.

Ms. Guergis found herself in the news far too often for the wrong reasons, in a way she became the Conservative version of Carolyn Parish, and that in itself is reason enough for the Conservatives to want her out of the caucus.
plantguy

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is: will she split the vote and give the seat to the Liberals?
hatrock

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: No.

But, if soft NDP and Greens see an opportunity to take down a Conservative, they may rally behind the Liberal.

Helena Guergis (CON)
30,897 (55.05%)

Andrea Matrosovs (LIB)
12,099 (21.56%)

Katy Austin (NDP)
6,288 (11.20%)

Peter Ellis (GRN)
5,684 (10.13%)

Peter Vander Zaag (CHP)
1,018 (1.81%)

Caley McKibbin (LTN)
143 (0.25%)

I think the party should have let her stand for nomination and let the riding members sort it out.
SmartCon

votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatrock wrote:
Short answer: No.

But, if soft NDP and Greens see an opportunity to take down a Conservative, they may rally behind the Liberal.

Helena Guergis (CON)
30,897 (55.05%)

Andrea Matrosovs (LIB)
12,099 (21.56%)

Katy Austin (NDP)
6,288 (11.20%)

Peter Ellis (GRN)
5,684 (10.13%)

Peter Vander Zaag (CHP)
1,018 (1.81%)

Caley McKibbin (LTN)
143 (0.25%)

I think the party should have let her stand for nomination and let the riding members sort it out.

Completely agree with your last statement.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plantguy wrote:
The question is: will she split the vote and give the seat to the Liberals?

bizare as it sounds i actually think she will take alot of the liberal votes , as thats what happened when former tory Bill Casey ran as in independent in a similar rural type riding in Nova Scotia , the liberals fell to under 10 % when he ran as an independent . although thats just my sense of things and i don't have any polls to back that up .
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday, September 17, 2010 11:10 AM

Tory riding announcement to slam door on Guergis return
Daniel Leblanc

A wide array of Conservative supporters are gathering in the riding of Simcoe-Grey on Saturday in a bid to launch the political career of medical doctor Kellie Leitch - and bury any idea that Helena Guergis will ever be accepted back into her old political family.

Ms. Leitch is set to announce her intention to seek the Conservative nomination in the riding for the next election. The 40-year-old is an accomplished professional who is an orthopaedic surgeon at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and an associate professor at the University of Toronto.

Sources said Ms. Leitch will be introduced at a partisan barbecue of red Tories from the era of former premier Bill Davis, as well as more conservative supporters from the days of Mike Harris. It is expected that senior members of the Harper government will also be present, including Finance Minister Jim Flaherty.

If she becomes the official Conservative candidate, Ms. Leitch will have to overcome a backlash from local party members who had hoped that Ms. Guergis, who has represented the riding since 2004, would be nominated.

Ms. Guergis has vowed to run as an independent if she is not allowed back into the Conservative fold, following a controversy that centred around the business dealings of her husband, former Conservative MP Rahim Jaffer.

Ms. Guergis resigned as minister of state for the status of women earlier this year, and is seeking to revive her political career after being cleared of any wrongdoing by the RCMP.

Dr. Kellie Leitch reviews bone x-rays in this 2005 file photo.
In an interview a year ago, Dr. Leitch said her parents instilled in her the need for community service at a young age. Every evening at 6 p.m., she said she sat down for dinner with her parents and her two siblings in their Fort McMurray home, in northern Alberta, no matter what other activity was taking place.

There, they would talk about the need to work with the public. Her parents were both active in local community groups.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....le1711760/
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( to make the race in Simcoe Grey even more bizare the green party is also looking for a new candidate after first one quit to run in municipal election )

Simcoe Grey federal Green Party seeking new candidate
Posted September 15, 2010

The Green Party of Simcoe Grey is reopening its nomination process to find a candidate to replace Stuart Starbuck, who jumped into the municipal election race for New Tecumseth Ward 7 councillor, just before nominations closed Friday.

The party's riding executive and Mr. Starbuck agreed last week that he would resign, and this morning Ron Fischer, the group's CEO, made it official.

"The members of the Simcoe Grey EDA wish Stuart success in his campaign to represent the people of Ward 7," wrote Mr. Fischer in a press release announcing the resignation, and call for new nominations. "I am sure he will serve them with the dedication and integrity he has shown us."

A nomination meeting will be held Nov. 14 in Alliston, at a time and place that was still to be determined at this post. Those interested in running for the Green's in Simcoe Grey should contact Mr. Fischer.

"If a federal election is called prior to this date the nominations will be cut-off immediately and an election held within five days, with the nominations we have on the ballot," noted Mr. Fischer. "So if you are interested put your name down ASAP."

Click here to send a Letter to the

http://www.madhunt.com/green-n.....100915.htm
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third candidate comes forward for Simcoe-Grey Tory nomination
Local News
By Morgan Ian Adams
Posted 1 hour ago

COLLINGWOOD — A third person has come forward in the chase for the Conservative Party nomination in Simcoe-Grey.

Paul Throop — who has some local political pedigree, including an uncle, Gordon Braniff, who was mayor of Collingwood in the 1950s — has signaled his intention to vie for the nomination.

He joins orthopedic surgeon Kellie Leitch and Collingwood Mayor Chris Carrier in the race; a date for the nomination has not yet been announced, though the national party has indicated an announcement could come at the beginning of January.

The rules state a nomination meeting must be held 42 days after the announcement, putting the nomination meeting at some point in mid-February. There has been speculation a federal election could come next spring, after the tabling of the budget.

The job of Conservative candidate has been open since the party told current Member of Parliament Helena Guergis she wasn't welcome to return, after she stepped down as a minister and was dumped from caucus by Prime Minister Stephen Harper back in April.

Guergis has said she will run in the next election as an Independent Conservative candidate.

For the 65-year-old Throop, it's a bit of a homecoming. He was born and raised in Collingwood and this side of Grey County, and part of a fairly politically-active family.

His grandmother was an ardent supporter of the area's former Member of Provincial Parliament, Wally Downer, who was first elected in the mid-1930s and was the representative for the area until the late 1970s.

"I was inducted into politics through my grandmother, and politics was just something as a family we were involved in," said Throop, as he recalled going to political events for Downer as early as the 1950s.

Branniff, who was a manager at the Collingwood Shipyard, gave Throop his first paying job at 14 as a gofer; the next year, he was a 'marker boy', marking the steel plates so the welders knew where to cut.

His Uncle Gordon, said Throop, "took an interest in me, and played a major role in my upbringing."

Advertisement

More recently, though, Throop has been involved at a fairly high level, politically. He's spent the last four years as Peter McKay's director of operations, first while McKay was minister of foreign affairs, then following the Nova Scotia MP to the Department of National Defence.

He was also a lead organizer for the Progressive Conservative Party 1987 AGM, and the party's 1988 policy convention, as well as a staff member on the campaign tours for Brian Mulroney (1988 federal election) and Kim Campbell (1993 federal election).

That came after a career with various Ottawa-based high-tech firms in the 1980s, and a stint as executive director of the Canadian cross-country ski team in the early '70s.

"I'm returning home," he said. "You never really leave home — it's just a question of when you come back.

"I've been watching from behind the scenes for a number of years, and it's something I've wanted to do."

Throop said after spending the summer speaking to family and friends about the opportunity of running for the nomination, he has started to widen his circle of contacts to get the message out about his candidacy. He expects to have a campaign kick-off in the coming weeks.

"I find that I'm very fortunate in that I'm able to come back (not that he left; he owns a house near Blue Mountain, and a cottage on the other side of Wasaga Beach) and be of public service," said Throop.

His goal, he said, would be to become a "solid constituency MP.

"I would be excited about working with the provincial representative and the local municipalities to determine what this region really needs," he said. "And as an MP, you have to have the attributes to be able to work with other people, to be a catalyst (to get things done in the riding), and work in Ottawa."

Throop said he relies on his rural upbringing and the philosophy given to him by his family: that attitude is a choice, that happiness is a choice, and that together, that "leads to a life of living productively

"Those are the fundamentals," he said.

http://www.theenterprisebullet.....?e=2848364
beaver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand why Harper didn't just demote her from Cabinet and then temporarily suspend her from caucus until the RCMP have finished their investigation.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why Leitch is running federally. She seems more of a PCer to me. I think that running against Helena may split the vote too much.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the race in simcoe grey has gone more bizare with news the liberal candidate is quitting , meaning 3 of the 4 major parties are currently looking for new candidates in the riding after original ones either quit or were forced out )

Matrosovs calls it quits
Local News
By Morgan Ian Adams
Updated 2 hours ago

COLLINGWOOD — Another local riding association will have to find a candidate, after the Liberal's standard-bearer in Simcoe-Grey officially called it quits.

Andrea Matrosovs announced Friday afternoon she was stepping down as the federal Liberal candidate.

"Two-thousand-and-ten has been a challenging year for our family," Matrosovs said in a statement emailed to the media and posted on her Facebook page. "After three-and-a- half years since my first nomination in April 2007, financial and family demands require me to resign as candidate."

Matrosovs had intended to challenge two federal elections; in her first election, in 2008, she came a distant second to Helena Guergis, garnering just over 12,000 votes to Guergis' 30,897. Matrosovs now says she will be living part-time in Prince Edward Island, where her husband, Chris, has a full-time position for more than a year.

"With the uncertainty at the federal level, with regard to when an election could happen, it is very taxing on a family," she told the Enterprise-Bulletin in a brief phone interview.

Matrosovs said that she had been waiting for the riding association to ratify her resignation letter; however, news of her pending resignation leaked out on Friday.

"I wish to thank all local Liberals who supported my candidacy, as well as the leader (Michael Ignatieff) and Liberal Party staff," she wrote. "I remain dedicated to the Liberal Party of Canada and will continue to serve the party and its supporters wherever and however I am needed."

Local Liberals now join the riding associations for the Green and Conservative parties in the search for a candidate. Green candidate Stuart Starbuck stepped down earlier this year in order to run for a council position in New Tecumseth; the Conservatives are on the verge of announcing a date for their nomination meeting, with three individuals — Dr. Kellie Leitch, Chris Carrier, and Paul Throop — announcing their intentions to challenge for the position.

Sources indicate the executive of the local Liberal riding association met Thursday night, and there are two individuals interested in contesting for the position.

http://www.theenterprisebullet.....?e=2885290
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still say there could be a real split vote
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( conservatives now have a candidate to face Guergis ,)

In Creemore last night, Kellie Leitch carried the day in to win the Conservative nomination in Simcoe-Grey.

With more than 1,100 ballots cast, Leitch captured the C nomination with 66% support.

Leitch arrived in Station on the Green in Creemore to the cheers of supporters, moments after the results were announced by her campaign manager Sara Ferguson.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.c.....?e=3045956

Jump to: