Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Liberal MP Keith Martin to quit politics Reply with quote

( its safe to say the liberals just lost a seat out west with this announment , although i'm unsure if it be more likely to go NDP or conservative at the moment but doubt it stay liberal with Martin gone , as for Keith martin himself i'm not sad to see him leave can tell you that much )

Liberal MP Keith Martin to quit politics
Published On Tue Nov 9 2010

OTTAWA—Long-time MP Keith Martin plans to retire from politics in time for the next federal election so he can get some actual work done.

“What I want to do is be able to drive innovation and advance innovative solutions to deal with the challenges that our country and our world faces,” the Liberal MP for the British Columbia riding of Esquimalt—Juan de Fuca said in an interview Tuesday.

“It is very difficult to do this in the current environment of Parliament, which is so hyperpartisan that it has become quite destructive,” Martin said. “So, I’m not interested in doing that. I’m interested in advancing those kinds of solutions, innovations that we can do for our country.”

Martin, 50, began his political career in 1993 when he was elected to the Vancouver Island riding for the Reform Party and stayed with the right-wing party through its metamorphosis into the Canadian Alliance and then the Conservative Party of Canada.

He ran unsuccessfully for the leadership of the Canadian Alliance in 2000, crossed the floor to run for the Liberals in the 2004 election.

“I am leaving to seek other opportunities where I can use the network and skills I have built up to be able to advance innovative solutions in development and economics and in other areas to address some of the big challenges our country faces,” said Martin, who practiced medicine in remote aboriginal communities and in a Mozambique field hospital and has served as the Liberal critic for international development.

Martin said that network includes universities, non-governmental organizations and the private sector.

“Connecting our university researchers with the private sector and NGOs to operationalize the inventions that we have is something I can do and make a much larger contribution to our country than being an MP,” Martin said.

Martin said he has no job waiting for him yet.

“I will be gainfully unemployed. I have absolutely nothing,” said Martin. “So, I hope that something comes up.”

Martin ruled out running for the B.C. Liberals – whose leader Premier Gordon Campbell resigned last week – as a possibility.

“No,” he said after laughing when asked if that was in the cards. “I think it would be a huge act of hubris on my part to go into a team that I don’t know very well at all . . . and to think that I could do that would be, I think, be pretty arrogant for me.”

Besides, he is even more concerned about the atmosphere in B.C. politics than he is about what happens at the federal level.

“Federal politics are polarized. Provincial politics is even more polarized,” Martin said. “I hope for our country that we have a better environment politically and that what has happened south of the border has affected us in Canada and I hope we can change that for the betterment of our people.”

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff sung Martin’s praises and wished him well in a statement released Tuesday.

“After working in South Africa to provide medical care during a time of civil war in Mozambique, Dr. Martin maintained a strong connection to Africa, championing global health, humanitarian aid and international development issues as a parliamentarian,” Ignatieff said.

“Throughout his long career, he has brought public awareness to a broad range of important issues including health care, social program renewal, economic development, the environment, defence policy, foreign affairs and much more,” Ignatieff said.

Meanwhile, Green Party Leader Elizabeth May said she has no interest in running for his seat.

“Not a chance,” May wrote in an email Tuesday.

Esquimalt—Juan de Fuca borders the Saanich—Gulf Islands riding where May hopes to unseat Conservative cabinet minister Gary Lunn.

May pointed to an internal party poll conducted this August that shows she is in “a dead heat” with Lunn.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ca.....t-politics
chilipepper

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He just came out in favour of health care reform, now he's quitting. Wonder if he's planning on running for leader of the BC Liberals?
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Libs will almost certainly lose this seat in the next election.

I'm a little sad to see Martin go due to how he was one of the more moderate Libs, and a good free speech champion (a convenient one, too, as it really helped to have a person with such a position in one of the opposition parties).

However, he also kept a seat red that would normally be blue or orange, so I'm glad he's going for that reason (a stronger NDP generally means a weaker LPC, so I can live with a stronger NDP).
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilipepper wrote:
He just came out in favour of health care reform, now he's quitting. Wonder if he's planning on running for leader of the BC Liberals?

I was thinking more to the effect of how much the party brass disliked the statement he made.

I find it odd he would take such a firm position on something his party was so clearly against and then all of a sudden decide he was done with politics?
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habsrwfan wrote:
I agree that the Libs will almost certainly lose this seat in the next election.

I'm a little sad to see Martin go due to how he was one of the more moderate Libs, and a good free speech champion (a convenient one, too, as it really helped to have a person with such a position in one of the opposition parties).

However, he also kept a seat red that would normally be blue or orange, so I'm glad he's going for that reason (a stronger NDP generally means a weaker LPC, so I can live with a stronger NDP).

Its been a dog fight for him since he crossed the floor.
He retained his seat by less then 100 votes in 2008, with the condition of the Liberals in BC he was getting the boot regardless.
hatrock

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

I was thinking more to the effect of how much the party brass disliked the statement he made.

I find it odd he would take such a firm position on something his party was so clearly against and then all of a sudden decide he was done with politics?

That's obviously what happened. I think the decision was his though and not Iggy's. Iggy doesn't have the gonads. I am amazed that the Liberals just gave up a seat for that though.

I've always liked Keith Martin in being that he was realistic regarding health care. I think his switching to the Liberals was simply that he wanted to be involved in gov't. For him to then switch back to the Conservatives would have looked too opportunistic.
Daveeire

Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His contribution to the casue of free speech will be missed.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
chilipepper wrote:

He's always been very vocal in support of private healthcare which is why it was so odd that he joined the Libs and that they welcomed him.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think his switching to the Liberals was simply that he wanted to be involved in gov't. For him to then switch back to the Conservatives would have looked too opportunistic

It probably had more to do with the gay marriage issue if you get my drift...

Jump to: