Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Baseball playoffs 2010 Reply with quote

The Blue Jays won't make it to the playoffs this year, but, after 17 years of post-season drought, they are now an entertaining team to watch. With a couple of minor tweaks to their lineup, and perhaps a new manager more in the style of a Joe Maddon, they could very well be competitive next year for the wild card spot.

This year, the AL playoff lineup is set -- Yankees, Twins, Rays and, surprisingly, the Texas Rangers who were battling with bankruptcy proceedings all year long.

The NL playoff lineup is not yet fully formed, but we'll see the Phillies, with Halladay finally getting his shot at the post-season, the Cincinnati Reds, and two from the Giants, Padres and the Braves.

The Phillies should cruise to the World Series from the rather weak NL lineup. But the AL is where the real battle may be, and, unlike last year, I don't think that the Yankees are a sure bet to make the finals this year.

My favourite team is the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Why?

Because they play the game with spunk -- they run, they irritate, they bunt, they sacrifice -- there is always something going on with these guys, and they have one of the best pitching rotations in baseball. And they do it all with a total team payroll that is approximately equal to the annual salaries of just three Yankees' starters! In other words, a "conservative" team that delivers "value-for-money."

In the end, though, I think it will probably be the Phillies and either the Rangers or the Yankees in the World Series. Given that the NL will have home field advantage this year thanks to the NL winning the All Star Game, perhaps the Phillies will get a chance to finish what they started last year.

It is shaping up to be a glorious October of baseball.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly call having the same old teams in the playoffs a shining example of baseball. Yes the Blue Jays were a better team this year, show a lot of promise but attendance is down, the franchise is failing, & despite a winning team this year 4th or 3rd with the likes of Boston & New York hardly give me the impression that Toronto is a team that can ever accomplish a playoff appearance. Until I see more playoff spots open up & the commissioner fired I see little hope of change.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Montreal was winning in the National league and the Jays were up there in the American, but the players called a strike, I always wondered if the Expos and Jays would have met in the series.

If the Yankees and Philly or some other team were in the running would they have called a strike? I don't think so.

The Jays were enjoyable this year. Especially with Bautista. The ballplayers set a Jays team record for homeruns in a season. But they also need a consistent hitter like a Molitor. Pitching is still questionable.

But for the series this year I am for Philly because of Doc. He deserves a World Series ring.
cbasu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be the Giants and the Rangers in the World Series.

The Rangers are a real rags-to-riches story. Early in the year, they were in bankruptcy. Today, they are in the World Series for the first time in their team history.

The Yankees failed to advance this year in spite of having the largest payroll in the league. Their pitching was bad, their high-priced hitters couldn't live up to their salaries, and the manager made some strange calls.

The Phillies also failed to advance against the Giants. This was a real surprise since, on paper, the Phillies are a far superior team. Their hitters choked, and their starting pitching, including Doc, failed to out-duel the Giants pitchers who were, under the guidance of pitiching coach and former All-Star, Dave Righetti, exceptional.

Who has the edge in the finals? I think the Rangers have a significant edge in hitting. But, the Giants will have home-field advantage, and I think they also have the edge in pitching. Since good pitching beats good hitting, the odds should favour the Giants.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I am for the Rangers. Exciting team. They can play small and big bal, an all around team with good pitching.

But if San Fran wins that's okay, too. Though I love the history and bravado of the Yankees, usually I stand for the underdogs,

By the way, I am pleased that the Jays selected John Farrell of the Boston Red Sox as manager. He was their pitching coach and in Cleveland's player development, and he once pitched in the SHOW.

I listened to him on the radio and he is astute, speaks precisely and consisely. He may be one of the great ones... if...
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Doc, but then again I don't know it's increasingly likely that he will become one of the greats that never win a World Series. The Phillies ae a team on a downward spiral. Too bad the Yankees will never see a last place finish because while Toronto is a problem city in Canada New York is even worse in the US & deserve to underachieve in any sport every year.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats San Fransisco Giants. Glad it's not the Yankees. Horrible series for the Texas Rangers.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasdrubal wrote:
I hardly call having the same old teams in the playoffs a shining example of baseball. Yes the Blue Jays were a better team this year, show a lot of promise but attendance is down, the franchise is failing, & despite a winning team this year 4th or 3rd with the likes of Boston & New York hardly give me the impression that Toronto is a team that can ever accomplish a playoff appearance. Until I see more playoff spots open up & the commissioner fired I see little hope of change.

I have to agree.
It has to suck not only for Toronto but for a city like Baltimore knowing you just are not making the playoffs no matter how well your luck breaks.

To walk into April with nothing to look forward to stinks.
You could always let seven teams make the playoffs in each league rather then four.

Let the first seed get a first round bye.
Then let them take on the best of the worst in round two.

Jump to: