Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: House Leader Jay Hill will not seek re-election Reply with quote

Tory MP Jay Hill will not seek re-election

The Canadian Press

Date: Wednesday Jul. 21, 2010 11:12 AM ET

OTTAWA — Jay Hill, a longtime Tory MP and the current government House leader, says he will not seek re-election.

The 57-year-old Hill told members of his riding executive in British Columbia this week that he's leaving while things are going well.

First elected as a Reform MP in 1993 for Prince George-Peace River after a losing run in 1988, he has served 17 years through six federal elections. He served as chief whip for both the Reform party and the Conservatives before becoming House leader.

"I've always felt that for politicians the time to go is when things are still going well ... when you've reached the crest of the hill, but before starting down the other side. For me that time is now," Hill said in a statement Wednesday.

"I must ensure that those to whom I owe my greatest loyalty and immense gratitude, and who have always been there to support me through seven federal elections and all the years in between, have sufficient time to select the next Conservative candidate for our great constituency."

This fall marks two years since the last federal election in 2008, and there has been speculation about another turn at the polls later this year or early next.

Hill's statement did not indicate his future plans.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Cana.....wn-100721/
Daveeire

Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Hill was one of the original Reformers - I wish him well.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( jay hill is leaving earlier than expected , at least he stayed around for the gun vote if nothing else )

Crusty old roughneck’ Jay Hill to give up his seat Oct. 25
Ottawa— The Canadian Press
Published Monday, Oct. 04, 2010 4:09PM EDT
Last updated Monday, Oct. 04, 2010 4:20PM EDT
12 comments Email Print Decrease text size

Increase text size Jay Hill, a British Columbia MP who served as both chief government whip and House leader, says he will resign his Commons seat in three weeks.

The 57-year-old Conservative had earlier announced he wouldn't be running again, but now he says he'll leave Oct. 25.

Mr. Hill has represented the riding of Prince George-Peace River since 1993. He won six elections, running for the Reform Party, the Canadian Alliance and the Conservatives.

More related to this story
•Baird gets bully pulpit as new Tory House Leader
•Jay Hill leaves Parliament on his own terms
•How to fix Question Period
In bidding farewell to the Commons, Mr. Hill said it's best to leave politics on one's own, rather than leaving it up to the voters.

He also paid tribute to his wife, Leah, and his three children, Holly, Heather and Heath, thanking them for their patience.

Mr. Hill is a former forestry and oil-field worker who, with his brother, later took over and ran the family farm in northeastern British Columbia.

MPs of all parties offered tributes to Hill.

Transport Minister Chuck Strahl, another B.C. Tory who entered the Commons in 1993, recalled the early Hill as a rough diamond. “He was Jay of the North, a no-nonsense guy who knew what he knew.”

That changed over the years, Mr. Strahl said. “A leader is what he's become. It was a big shift for a crusty old roughneck from the oil patch.”

Mr. Strahl praised Hill for “an exceptionally productive career and an exceptionally positive influence.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....le1741954/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( and also blair lekstrom an mla from the area who was though to be a potential candidate for the cpc , will run again provincially instead )

Ex-Liberal MLA Leckstrom will run againMonday, October 4, 2010
PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. - Longtime Peace River South MLA and ex-Liberal Blair Lekstrom says he intends to run in the next provincial election.

"Yes, definitely I'm running for MLA," he said of his plans for the northeastern B.C. riding he has represented since 2001.

There had been speculation that Lekstrom might seek the Conservative nomination in Prince George-Peace River to fill the spot being vacated by retiring MP Jay Hill.

"I've never ruled out federal politics but right now I am focused on the province," Lekstrom said. "And besides, there seems to be lots of interest in Jay's job."

Lekstrom stepped down as a provincial cabinet minister and resigned from the B.C. Liberal caucus in June to protest the Harmonized Sales Tax.

He said he has not been approached by the Liberals to rejoin the party in advance of the next election in 2013. (Prince George Citizen)

http://www.globaltvbc.com/Libe.....story.html

Jump to: