Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edmund Onward James

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Municipal politics is partisan Reply with quote

Former politician and broadcaster Isabel Bassett is one of 38 Ontario conservatives who are throwing their support behind George Smitherman in the Toronto mayoral race.

In an email to be sent to 10,000 conservatives on Wednesday says it would like Smitherman to win.

Its signatories include former attorney general Charlie Harnick, former minister of the environment Dan Newman and Ontario PC Party regional vice-president Justin VanDette.

"We're conservatives," says the letter, sent at about 4 p.m. Wednesday. "He's a Liberal. Thankfully in municipal politics, party lines don't get in the way of supporting the best candidate for the job.

"We believe, hands down, that George Smitherman is the only one who can finally fix City Hall and get it focused on serving us as taxpayers."

What's with Ernie Eves's wife? Is she basically a rich idiot, who was never really of the right, more centre or even left? "Thankfully in municipal politics, party lines don't get in the way of supporting the best candidate for the job." Really?

Does she go to the same hair salon and beautician as Mrs. Smitherman? Ernie changed his hairstyle if you recall. Her influence likely.

Perhaps, they think that Smitherman will cause havoc for the provinical Liberal government and ask for the world. He will be the Queen of Toronto. He has become Purple!

Sometimes, it seems as if the conervatives have given up on major municipalities.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/.....ntoNewHome
plantguy

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Gay bashing is always the gateway to reasonable political discussion.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected a "gay bashing" card. I am conservative on most issues. I did not vote in a referendum for Same Sex marriage. Cetificates fine.

Furthermore, I don't care for the morally ugly gay pride parade with anti-Semtiic sentiments. And I was pleased that the government refused furhter funding, and decided to give for other events that required assistance. However, I have no problem for gayness. In my previous business ventures, several gay men and a few lesbians worked for me and were ever so pleased for the creative freedom.

Smitherman and the provincial Liberal government wasted money for their pet initiatives. A friend of mine's son had difficulty getting drugs for a rare disease and OHIP didn't cover the expense. But they were fortunate that an American pahrmaceutical company asissted. When Health Minister Smitherman was approached he failed to help... along with many others... yet...

The gay society received the HIV cocktails at the citizens' expense while others suffered. Most of their problems wouldn't have happened if they had maintained safe-sex. And, today, evidently, the gay partiers are back to partying since the drugs are so effective and prolongs even prevents I have read.

But the point of my satirical piece is a bunch of old flakey conservatives led by spokesperson Isabel had the audacity to say that municipalities, council persons and mayors are not partisan and they backed furious spurious George.

Spurious: Lacking authenticity or validity in essence or origin; not genuine; false.

I am sure you know the definition of furious.
plantguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"However, I have no problem for gayness. In my previous business ventures, several gay men and a few lesbians worked for me and were ever so pleased for the creative freedom"

Sorry, but it kind of sounds like the "some of my best friends are (insert minority)" statements that preceed a racist diatribe. If you stick to his policies instead of his sexual orientation you'll be far more convincing.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politically Correct plantguy.... Now you include the "racist card" that it is like that. Are you black and gay? Offended? Or of the left who aggravates true conservatives.

Gay community became political and shoved things in our faces. Pushed the enevelope. Then attacked Harper and the Conservatives.

In California, the people said NO for same-sex marriage. But recently a gay judge overturned it. Tried to.

The Gay community is a block vote. Iif Smitherman didn't have that would he have a chance? I think not. And I am not a fan of phony Brison who crossed over either to the federal liberals.

I do not have to kowtow and be poltically correct. And you do not have to read my pieces if you are offended.

There are a few gay conservatives, but not enough speak up.
plantguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There are a few gay conservatives, but not enough speak up"

Or are they simply afraid to speak up because of people like you?

"Politically Correct plantguy.... Now you include the "racist card" that it is like that. Are you black and gay? Offended? Or of the left who aggravates true conservatives. "

I'm neither gay, black nor Liberal. Just don't like homophobes I guess. Go figure.
plantguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Or of the left who aggravates true conservatives. "

I didn't know that being a homophobe was a requirement to be a "true" conservative. I imagine that Gay and Right will be suprised.
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plantguy wrote:
Yup. Gay bashing is always the gateway to reasonable political discussion.

Gay bashing? What gay bashing?

"Queen of Toronto" seems to me to be an extension of the "Welfare Queen" understanding (amongst conservatives) of individuals and groups that are constantly seeking hand-outs from the government. When you consider the sentence that came immediately before "Queen of Toronto", it's very clear that this is the meaning that Edmund is conveying here. Are you actually mistaking this for gay-bashing? Are you really that unfamiliar with conservative viewpoints on government largesse and typical conservative terminology (such as "Welfare Queen")?

In other words, Edmund's argument appears to be that a hypothetical Mayor Smitherman would be like a Welfare Queen in asking for constant hand-outs from higher levels of government. The term "King of Toronto" would have completely failed to convey that point.
plantguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puleeeeeeze! A bit of a stretch to come up with that one don't you think. Maybe he thinks Smitherman looks like the Queen. Or maybe Freddie Mercury. Both of these are way more likely than a gay slur, right?
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plantguy wrote:
Puleeeeeeze! A bit of a stretch to come up with that one don't you think. Maybe he thinks Smitherman looks like the Queen. Or maybe Freddie Mercury. Both of these are way more likely than a gay slur, right?

I didn't "come up with" that one at all. The term "Welfare Queen", and what it means, should be very clear to anybody who converses regularly with conservatives about politics... as you do.

Is Edmund's take on what Smitherman would be like as Mayor of Toronto correct or incorrect, in your opinion, and why? Or, perhaps even better, you could tell us if you think municipal politics are partisan or not. That might actually prove interesting, rather than your myopic obsession with one colorful phrase, and a rather mild one for what you're taking it as. I could understand your sentiments if one of the harsh, more famous slurs had been used, but you're getting this distracted and upset over Queen? Really? You're this thin-skinned and obsessed over political correctness?

Act like an actual adult, and get into the real debate/discussion, and stop acting like a childish censor-loving whiner over the slightest of potential offenses.

... or would you rather accuse me of ageism for insinuating that you're acting childish right now? :roll:
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stated Habsrwfan...

Of course, I have found that the left also lack a sense of humour and what they do find funny is incomprehensible.

Not one left American radio talk show host can compete with Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, and Savage. Batchelor is just too smart and witty for the Left. Few can come close to Ann Coulter. Yet all the conservatives make sense and take the punches by the mainstream media. In Toronto there's John Oakley, Jerry Agar, Roy Green and Charles Adler. After frequently listening to John Tory I can see why he is better for talk radio host than being a mayor or a party leader.

The liberals and special interest groups are nonplussed with Bob Ford who wants to trim the number of council-persons. This drastic change at City Hall has the liberal party worried about next year's election. Have the urbanites changed?

A leader during these times doen't have to be a visionary like John Tory and Peedie stated, because they are/were CEOs. However, we all have some sort of vision. Toronto requires capable mangement with reasonable transperancy.

People are fed up with politicians and bureaucrats that have their hands in their pockets. Sometimes it's embarrassing when there is a hole in the material.

And when plantguy reads my Islamist pieces he will call me "Islamophobic". So what?

Phobias are fairly normal. Check Jackie Mason who is Obamaphobic. He even called Obama black in yiddish. My. My. But at least he made poltical comments whereas plantguy prefers to nudge like a nudgenik.

nudge 2 or nudzh or noodge (nj) Slang ]
n.
One who persistently pesters, annoys, or complains.
v. nudged or nudzhed or noodged, nudg·ing or nudzh·ing or noodg·ing, nudg·es or nudzh·es or noodg·es
v.tr.
To annoy persistently; pester.
v.intr.
To complain or carp persistently.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[From Yiddish nudyen, to pester, bore, from Polish nudzi.]

http://onwardjames.blogspot.co.....mason.html

Jump to: