Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Steve Pickard calls it quits as Chatham liberal candidate Reply with quote

Ontario Liberal candidate quits

By LAURA PAYTON, Parliamentary Bureau

OTTAWA – A Liberal candidate accused of assault, forcible confinement and uttering threats has quit the race to be the next MP for Chatham-Kent-Essex.

Steve Pickard said in a statement Thursday night the resignation is effective immediately.

“Although I remain a dedicated Liberal, the first priority in my life is my children,” Pickard said in the statement.

“I do not believe that at this time I could serve the citizens of Chatham-Kent-Essex in Ottawa while continuing to be the father that my children deserve.

“With respect to my current personal situation, I am innocent of any allegations and I am confident that ultimately I will be vindicated.”

Pickard, who's been a candidate for the area since August 2009, was arrested in June.

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff said last month the party would decide what to do about Pickard's case after the court proceedings finished.

He called the case “very serious.”

“I have no tolerance, none, for threats and violence . . . not in any situation. That has to be clear,” Ignatieff said.

“The judicial process has to run its course.”

The riding is currently held by Conservative backbencher Dave Van Kesteren, who won by 7,000 votes in 2008.

-with files from Bryn Weese

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Po.....36371.html
Daveeire

Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No impact - this guy was not going ot win anyway so nothing changes. The Liberals will annoint some other schmuck who likely hopes for a payoff down the road.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually chathan would of been a competitive riding , its rate near windsor in an area thats lost alot of jobs . steve pickard was also the son of the liberal mp who held the riding from 1988 -2006 so he was well known in the riding . the area has a history of being liberal and the cpc gains in the area were rather historic as i think the win in Essex in 2004 was the first time a tory had won in windsor in 50 years . chatham is also still a liberal stronghold at the provincial level .

Jump to: