Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Iggy loses another Ontario candidate-Prince Edward Hastings Reply with quote

( this is nominated candidate # 6 just in ontario to call it quits , seems like there is very little interest in running for the liberals as they can't seem to keep candidates very long )

Cole steps down as candidate for 'personal reasons'

LIBERALS: Announcment at party's AGM
Posted By JASON MILLER THE INTELLIGENCER
Posted 4 days ago

The Prince Edward-Hastings Liberals are on the hunt for a prospective candidate after Ken Cole stepped down as the standing candidate for the Grits in this riding.

Cole cited personal reasons in his decision to step aside. Cole, a father of two sons, said he wants to spend more time with his family.

"These decisions are personal," he said. "For me, family comes before country. At this time, with everything that's going on, I need to focus on my family."

He announced his decision during the party's annual general meeting at the Corbyville River Inn Saturday morning.

"I've been thinking about it for several months," he said. "It's a very hard thing to step aside even when you're doing it for your family."

Party officials said over the next couple of months they will be actively looking for a suitable person to fill the position. They were tight-lipped about divulging the names of any front runners but they did say that they will be looking to municipal officials with experience.

"It will be two or three months, at least, before someone is chosen," Cole said.

Cole said he stayed on until now because there was indications about a sooner-than-expected federal election in the works.

"It now looks like that election may be a while in coming," he said.

Cole said his decision gained more steam following his remarriage and the birth of his now 10-month-old son.

"I think some people wondered what took me so long to getting around to making the decision because it has been a long commitment," he said. "The perception is that in this riding, it's a real uphill battle."

Advertisement

The 47-year-old said it is time to change his priorities after dedicating most of the last seven years to his political ambitions.

"It's good to rest, refocus, and come back fresh and I'll come back fresh," he said

He said his move should give a the party "a bit of an opportunity to start a fresh." Cole described his time as candidate since 2007 as rewarding and fulfilling, despite his unsuccessful bid to unseat Conservative MP Daryl Kramp in the last federal election.

"The riding is held provincially by a Liberal and federally by a Conservative," he said. "That may very well switch in the next two or three years."

Cole dismissed the notion that the hurdles currently faced by the Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff to mobilize the party had anything to do with his decision to assume a less visible role.

Liberal riding association president Bryan Bondy said the announcement has shaken but not dismantled the Grits push to loosen the grip held on the riding by Kramp and the Tories.

"I wasn't surprised," Bondy said. "I think I know that Ken has been wrestling with this for a while."

Bondy said he's disappointed to lose a friend as a candidate but family comes first. He said this will give the party a chance to engage the public in the candidate selection process.

"We've been hurting with all these negative news stories and talks of coalition and mergers," he said. "I hope this gives us an opportunity to show the community a positive side."

Bondy said he would love to draft mayor Neil Ellis back into the party fold but Ellis seems keen on focusing on holding his city job.

"I think he wants another term as mayor and I don't blame him, he does a good job," Bondy said, adding the party is relatively healthy despite not being in the most ideal position at the moment.

"We've had questions about the popularity of our leader but the party is able to discuss these things without breaking itself apart or throwing itself into the arms of the NDP."

http://www.intelligencer.ca/Ar.....?e=2621315
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its just an issue that a lot of Liberals felt that the popularity of the CPC in Ontario was a temporary measure.

Prince Edward—Hastings was Liberal from 1988 onward, but had been Conservative prior to that going back to 1968.

There were a glut of riding's in Ontario where the PC + Reform vote allowed for the Liberals to secure and maintain support and electability by coming up the middle so to speak.

Like about 30 other ridings in Ontario, Prince Edward—Hastings is a pretty safe hold for the Tories.

Mr. Cole ran in 2008 and watched the CPC support in the riding swell to over 50%, and based on his leaders inability to increase support in non-urban ridings I would imagine even the most dedicated Liberal would need to at least muse about the possibility that against a united right, they just cant win ridings like these anymore.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liberal candidates have quit or dropped out whatever you want to call it in 6 ridings so far ( those being Prince Edward - Hastings , Ancaster Dundas Flamborough , Ottawa West Nepean , Newmarket - Aurora , Haliburton Kawartha Lakes Brock and Niagara West Glambrook )

the rural 3 are as you say pretty much safe for the conservatives federally even though john tory managed to find a way to lose in haliburton . but the federal mp for that riding Barry Devolin seems to be well liked and liberals not able to make much traction there against him .
Ancaster is more of a mixed rural / suburban riding and i think Dan Mclean maybe realised his name alone was not going to be enough and that liberals had not made any improvements in support in rural portions of the riding .

the candidates leaving in Ottawa West Nepean and Newmarket Aurora was a little more confusing as neither is really solid cpc , although if there ahead in the polls there pretty safe seats for the cpc and John Baird and Lois brown seem well liked in the ridings but there still liberals in those ridings so to just quit was odd . think maybe the lack of an election got to some candidates who decided they had other things to do instead and couldn't commit for months or the next year to be a candidate for iggy .
IsleofBarra

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Riding of Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke, the former grit MP "claimed" in the grope and flail that he told Count Iggy to "go to hell." Now the grits are running two candidates in the riding which is sure to confuse the hell out of their dwindling support base in that riding. The "official" parachute candidate from Toronto hand picked by Iggy, from the same Toronto law firm as party pres. Al apps, is expected to be shoved out by the end of the summer after Count Zsohar is shoved under the wheels of the bus and replaced by BB Rae.

The Rae/Cretin faction will clean house of the Zsohar/martin faction. Those grit candidates that are jumping ship see the writing on the wall and are getting out now before the big purge that is coming.

The plan isn't merger with the NDP, its takeover! Once the takeover is done, I see a majority Conservative government for PM Stephen Harper.

(Jeffrey Simpson is an asshole who does not have a clue when he speculates about our party. PM Harper is in the job as long as he wants it.)

Jump to: