Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teabag

votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Ontario HST cheques Reply with quote

My husband and myself received the first installment cheque of $330 for HST rebate here in Ontario. Why do single people only receive a cheque for $100? Two roomates receive $100 each while a couple receive $165 each ($330).

I find this blatant discrimination and wonder why the Liberal Government is doing this? It is hard enough for a single person and unless they can find a roomate to share costs it is tough out there.

I have addressed this to my MPP and am awaiting a response. Any ideas as to why they are doing things this way?
reidjr

Reputation: 46.5Reputation: 46.5Reputation: 46.5Reputation: 46.5Reputation: 46.5
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple will get $1000 total while if you single you get $300 total.I get the $1000 for a couple but less then half if your single i don't get.
teabag

votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the response that I got from my MPP.

The Sales Tax Transition Benefit is intended to help consumers adjust to the HST. Payments will be made in June 2010, December 2010, and June 2011 to eligible Ontario residents who are 18 years of age or over or who have a spouse or common-law partner or live with a dependant child. To qualify for the 2010 benefits, a 2009 tax return must be filed and a 2010 tax return must be filed for the 2011 benefit.

The benefit levels for the STTB were chosen to recognize that most couples are families of more than two people and that families generally face higher costs than single individuals. Eligible families (including single parents) with adjusted family net incomes of $160,000 or less will receive three STTB payments totalling $1,000 and eligible single individuals with adjusted net incomes of $80,000 or less will receive three payments totalling $300. Each payment will be reduced by 5 per cent of adjusted family net income over these thresholds. These income thresholds were chosen to ensure that as many people as possible receive a benefit considering the $4 billion in funding provided by the federal government, considering that this is only a one year program and adding administrative complexity would reduce the amount of direct relief.

The bottom line is they could find it too costly to separate all those "families without any children" so they just blanketed them all together.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is they could find it too costly to separate all those "families without any children" so they just blanketed them all together.

If only they had a list of all those families that receive the child tax credit and the universal childcare benefit...

friggin' idiots.
infantry67

Reputation: 36.5Reputation: 36.5Reputation: 36.5Reputation: 36.5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:

If only they had a list of all those families that receive the child tax credit and the universal childcare benefit...

friggin' idiots.

Why the hell are we filling out the census then?.......Not No Mo.......
IanM

votes: 7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know......

I'm not in Ontario, however I feel like this is rather discriminatory to single people. Okay, yes. I'm a single person, I will admit. I work very hard for my money, I also make a lot more than some couples in my area.......Now, lets say
I make a hypothetical 50,000 dollars a year, in ficticioustowne Ontario.

If I was single, or living with a roommate, what makes one think that I would spend less than a couple would in consumption taxes? I possibly would spend more on consumption taxes due to the fact that I may have lower fixed expenses. Should it not be a flat rate regardless, per person?

This plan feels to me to be badly contrived, as well, even done on income, it would be inequal......

I'm sorry, I'm ranting, I'm just tired of getting the shaft at times for being single, it feels like there is very little out there for one who doesn't have children or is married within the scheme of government.....Its the same in the business world, and it is, annoying to say the least.

Jump to: