Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Al-Jazeera TV coming to Canada Reply with quote

Al-Jazeera coming to Canada

By CHRISTINA SPENCER, SUN MEDIA

OTTAWA - The Canadian radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has approved a licence for Al-Jazeera English despite concerns from some that it could violate Canadian regulations on abusive comments.

But influential groups such as the Canadian Jewish Congress and B’nai Brith Canada did not oppose adding Al Jazeera to the list of available digital channels – partly because the network agreed to set up a consultative committee to give the Jewish community input, the CRTC said.

The broadcast regulator received more than 2,600 comments supporting Al-Jazeera’s licence application and about 40 comments opposing it.

Among those in favour of allowing the 24-hour English language news channel were the National Council on Canada-Arab Relations, the Canadian Arab Federation, Canadian Journalists for Free Expression, NDP leader Jack Layton and Conservative Senator Hugh Segal.

Though the Canadian Jewish Congress did not oppose the application, it said it was concerned about the service, according to the CRTC. The congress asked the commission to make sure Al-Jazeera avoids Holocaust denial or anti-Semitic statements and that it stay independent from its controversial Arabic-language counterpart.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Me.....6-sun.html
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One step closer to becoming an Islamic nation.
Some Guy 2.0

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:

I'm in favour of freedom of speech, so I don't have any problem with them coming to Canada. What we need now is a right wing media station, such as Fox News.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoffer wrote:
Craig wrote:

I'm in favour of freedom of speech, so I don't have any problem with them coming to Canada. What we need now is a right wing media station, such as Fox News.

I wouldn't go that far. But a program with a slant to the right couldn't hurt. Mike Duffy and Peter Kent can not have been the only ones out there!
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoffer wrote:
Craig wrote:

The very fact that they required the approval of the CRTC means that we don't have free speech in Canada regardless of whether or not THEY were approved.

Fox News was NOT approved even though their application was identical to CNN's which was approved.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let them come. I am sure it will be gone in a couple years. It is the english station. How many muslims will watch the english version?
Forward

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
Craig wrote:
, such as Fox News.

I wouldn't go that far.

Yes, we really wouldn't want to hear any conservative commentary that is any farther right than the Progressive "Conservative" wing of the CPC party now would we?

Say hi to the pompous blue Liberal buffoon, Joke Clark and that other Liberal ummmm oh -- you know, the Richard Simmons look-alike --- John Charest!
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward wrote:
DavidK wrote:
Craig wrote:
, such as Fox News.

I wouldn't go that far.

Yes, we really wouldn't want to hear any conservative commentary that is any farther right than the Progressive "Conservative" wing of the CPC party now would we?

Say hi to the pompous blue Liberal buffoon, Joke Clark and that other Liberal ummmm oh -- you know, the Richard Simmons look-alike --- John Charest!

I was never a Federal PC, actually. I'd consider myself along the lines of the Canadian Alliance by pre-CPC standards. Don't start that Joe Clark bull, okay? Thanks.
bsenka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoffer wrote:
Craig wrote:

Fox News is a cartoon. It's not a legitimate news source.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsenka wrote:
Justin Hoffer wrote:
Craig wrote:

Fox News is a cartoon. It's not a legitimate news source.

Hey, look! Robert Gibbs is here! Shouldn't you be helping your boss get ready for his interview with Oprah?
bsenka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Hey, look! Robert Gibbs is here! Shouldn't you be helping your boss get ready for his interview with Oprah?

Hilarious.

Seriously, it's not news. It's over the top, op-ed, info-tainment. Maximum spin and outright fabrications are the order of the day. Their on air people are characters playing a role, not reporters. They get caught outright lying regularly. They fake footage, and hire actors to do interviews.

I'm all in favour of a Canadian true Conservative new source. I think The National Post does a great job at what they do, and they already do fantastic podcasts. If Global ever gets their butts out of bankruptcy, I'd love to see them do a National Post news channel.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( it has arrived )

Al Jazeera now on the air in Canada

By QMI Agency

TORONTO - Al Jazeera is now on the air in Canada.

The 24-hour cable news channel officially began programming in Canada on Tuesday, launching on Bell TV on channel 516, Rogers in Ontario on channel 176 and Videotron illico Digital TV on channel 173.

The station also announced it will open a Canadian bureau in June. This will make Al Jazeera the only international news channel with a bureau in the country.

Canadian-born journalist Imtiaz Tyab, most recently a London-based reporter for the BBC, will join Al Jazeera as the Canadian correspondent, to be based in Toronto. Tyab is also a former reporter for CBC News in Vancouver.

Calling Canada “one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world,” Tony Burman, managing director of Al Jazeera's English operations, said he believes the channel will be well-received in the country.

“Our cutting-edge reporting and programming will fill an important void by bringing another voice in international news to this important market,” Burman said Tuesday.

Al Jazeera officials hope to announce the station will be available with other television providers in the near future.

In May, Al Jazeera's lineup includes a feature on Canada's role in Afghanistan and a look at what Canada's departure in 2011 will mean for NATO; in-depth features on Canada's oil sands, including reports from Alberta on life at Fort McMurray and an examination of the environmental impact of the project; and a report from Winnipeg on how the Truth and Reconciliation Commission hearings will impact the nation's aboriginal people.

On Tuesday, the station featured a debate about Canada's involvement in Afghanistan. The panel included Liberal foreign affairs critic Bob Rae.

Al Jazeera English (AJE), the first English-language world news channel to be headquartered in the Middle East, launched in 2006. The broadcaster now has more than 70 news bureaus around the world.

AJE employs more than 1,000 people worldwide.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Me.....1-qmi.html
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that cuts into the CBC's market share is welcome.

Jump to: