Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  

media coverage of Guergis / Jaffer incidents
fair and balanced coverage
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
a harsh smear job
100%
 100%  [ 5 ]
unsure
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: media coverage of Guergis / Jaffer incidents: fair or biased Reply with quote

I wanted to get some opinions and thoughs on the media coverage of the recent Helena Guergis and Rahim Jaffer incidents .

and if you feel the coverage was fair and any mp would of been subject to such ( if they had been part of similar events ) or if it was a clear smear job aimed at damaging their reputations cause they were conservatives and in government that would not of been as harsh if an mp of another party had done the same thing ?
although i admit there is not exactly another parliamentary couple involved in anything similar recently to compare them to , other than possibly the grewal incident of 05 .
hatrock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the coverage of Rahim's situation has been terrible. All I hear is people on radio, internet, and the MSM saying he got off because the governing party stepped in due to his former status with the party, yet there is absolutely no proof of this anywhere.

Totally unbalanced and totally ignorant of the facts and proper legal procedure. Not only that, but to suggest this is bordering on libel.

Everyone assumes that police perfectly follow the arresting procedure in these cases when there are numerous examples that this is simply not the case.

If the defense showed that the arresting officer had assumption of guilt without due cause, then any evidence after the fact is totally inadmissible. In fact, he wasn't even given a ticket for speeding because the police probably could not determine the speed at which he was travelling.

A very similar situation happened to a friend of mine and he got off, completely. The only evidence that could be admitted was everything that happened before his rights were violated. So although he was speeding, the police noted that he signalled properly, passed many cars with no trouble, and when he was pulled over, he fully cooperated.

It really irks me when the media don't offer the facts and like to smear.

With Helena however, her public behaviour is unbecoming of a member of parliament. This will fizzle out.. as will her time in cabinet.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its interesting one of local newspapers from Helena Guergis riding of simcoe grey has very little about this story other than a short article that i posted below . it didn't seem to attract as much attention there as in the national media . or the local media was reluctant to launch the kind of attack on her that the national media did .

Jaffer gets $500 fine for careless driving
Posted By
Posted 4 days ago

Rahim Jaffer has pleaded guilty to careless driving, receiving a $500 fine.

The husband of Simcoe-Grey MP Helena Guergis was in court Tuesday morning. He had been charged in September with impaired driving and possession of cocaine, after Caledon OPP pulled over a vehicle that was speeding through the village of Palgrave.

Those charges were withdrawn by the crown attorney.

The 38-year-old Jaffer married Guergis two days after the 2008 federal election; he was the Conservative member of parliament for Edmonton-Strathcona for more than 10 years, and lost to NDP candidate Linda Duncan in the last election

According to newspaper reports, the crown indicated it had no reasonable prospect of conviction on the cocaine charges.

"I'm sure you can recognize a break when you see one," Mr. Justice Doug Maunder told Jaffer during this morning's hearing.

http://www.theenterprisebullet.....?e=2488138
hatrock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think this statement from the justice is a bit misleading:

"I'm sure you can recognize a break when you see one," Mr. Justice Doug Maunder told Jaffer during this morning's hearing.

Many people have taken this to mean that the crown gave him a break, when it was simply a lucky legal technicality break.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares? It is not going to change. The most you can do is stop giving media organization you do not like your money.
chilipepper

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should care, there's a difference between responsible journalism and ugly smear jobs.
Forward

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilipepper wrote:
You should care, there's a difference between responsible journalism and ugly smear jobs.

And how far has "caring" gotten so far?

Journalists are low lifes who cherry pick which facts & stories are ... "newsworthy"

(the definition of newsworthy is - whatever fits the journalist's or editor's agenda).

I don't bother buying the local paper anymore. I got sick of being preached to & called names when I didn't act or think in a manner they approved of.
chilipepper

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't buy a paper anymore and I wouldn't pay one thin dime for the Toronto Star.

You are right, they do pursue their own agendas, but the problem is the public only knows what they read in there.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame the papers, I blame the people that read them. Compare this to Shawinigate (or howver you spell it). Its the same sort of thing, rumours, inundeo, but no smoking gun.
Shawinigate is complicated, confusing and has plenty of gray areas. This situation, however, has "busty hookers" cocaine, organized crime, beutiful people and all sorts of other crap.
Same thing happened with Bernier. Misplacing a few documents got blown up into a huge story because it involved a *hot* biker chick.
People are going to read stories about hot biker chicks and "busty hookers" before they will read the more important ones about complicated backroom deals. If thats what the people want to read, thats the stories the papers will print.

Jump to: