Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  

which national newspaper is the most biased
the globe and mail
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
the toronto star
88%
 88%  [ 15 ]
the national post
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
sun media newspapers
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Poll - most biased national newspaper Reply with quote

I was thinking about this and geting frustrated with having to read all these liberal biased articles in the press that either favour iggy or attack the conservatives . we seem to lack any solid conservative media here and don't have anything close to a fox news in canada .

but back to the question which national newspaper do you feel is at the moment the most baised towards the liberals ?

a - the globe and mail

b - the toronto star

c - the national post

d- sun media papers
Alan A.

votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all biased (National Post no better, but on the right side for a change). But as long as they are privately owned, I don't see what's wrong with that. Free enterprise. If the left becomes too crowded and doesn't sell enough, some of them outlets will have to adjust or die.

On the other hand, our only taxpayer-funded national media, the CBC, is the one that should be totally neutral and balanced, but no, it's the most biased one!
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Toronto Star is the most biased, but in some ways, the Globe and Mail bothers me more.

The reason being that the Star makes no bones about its left-leaning ways. It's very upfront about being a paper that always supports left-leaning ideas, and left-leaning parties.

The Globe and Mail pretends to be neutral... even going so far to prove their "open minded to conservative ideas" bonafides by endorsing Harper for Prime Minister in each of the last two federal elections... but truthfully, the Globe is very left-leaning itself. It's just much more slick and smooth and subterfuge about it.

That actually makes it more insidious than the Star, in my opinion.

Every Canadian knows that the Star has a left-leaning/Liberal or NDP-leaning slant. So all of their columns are taken with a grain of salt, particularly on the op ed pages.

But most Canadians probably think that the Globe and Mail are pretty balanced and centrist... when they're not. Far, far more often than not the Globe and Mail will take the side of the Liberals, or a left-leaning position.

This makes the Globe and Mail more troublesome because it can shape public opinion in a way that, frankly, the Toronto Star simply can't.

It's kind of like Time/Newsweek vs. The New York Times in the US.

Everybody knows that the New York Times leans left, but a lot of people think that Time and Newsweek are middle of the road publications... when they aren't, either.

I'd rather deal with an open and honestly left-leaning paper over a left-leaning paper that pretends to be balanced...
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Toronto Star is the most left wing but outside of Toronto their influence is limited. Therefore, the Globe and Mail is the most dangerous liberal newspaper.
RedCloudWulf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Biased?You dont say! Reply with quote

Nationally i couldnt say really about the globe and mail but ill start paying more attention to it.The Star trips over itself to Left sphere of influence so obviously.Good thing their influence is toronto focused only.The national Post leans more right (and its about time).Sun media papers seem to be the most centered if at all possible.Kind of ironic that the most easy to read would be less biased but good for the Sun.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
The Toronto Star is the most left wing but outside of Toronto their influence is limited. Therefore, the Globe and Mail is the most dangerous liberal newspaper.

for sure the star's influence is limited outside of toronto , its sort of like the canadian version of the new york times . and everyone pretty much knows there views so nothing they have to say is much of a surprise anyways .

so i do agree the globe and mail is more dangerous cause its truly national ( although i'm not sure how popular it is in quebec or if any of these 4 papers are that read there ) but for sure its more dangerous cause its biased is less obvivous and it at times favours the conservatives as it did during much of 08 election so to switch back to liberals is definity a problem for us .
chilipepper

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting considering something I read in another political forum, it is mainly left wing but I was surprised that anyone would consider the Star and the CBC are right wing.

I would post the link but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to, if you are interested pm me and I'll give you the link. It does need some balance LOL
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilipepper wrote:
This is interesting considering something I read in another political forum, it is mainly left wing but I was surprised that anyone would consider the Star and the CBC are right wing.

I would post the link but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to, if you are interested pm me and I'll give you the link. It does need some balance LOL

How anybody could see CBC as right wing is beyond me.

The only even half-way conservative commentators on CBC are Kevin O'Leary and Andrew Coyne. Rex Murphy is refreshingly non-ideological, so while he's not liberal, he's not really conservative either.

Oh, and I guess you could count Don Cherry as a conservative commentator if you really wanted to, lol.

Everybody else at CBC is moderately-to-very left wing, from what I can tell.
thurmas

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the star is not a national paper and to compare it to the ny times is laughable. i have to go with the globe I can't stand jeff simpson and jane taber.
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habsrwfan wrote:
chilipepper wrote:

How anybody could see CBC as right wing is beyond me.

The only even half-way conservative commentators on CBC are Kevin O'Leary and Andrew Coyne. Rex Murphy is refreshingly non-ideological, so while he's not liberal, he's not really conservative either.

Oh, and I guess you could count Don Cherry as a conservative commentator if you really wanted to, lol.

Everybody else at CBC is moderately-to-very left wing, from what I can tell.

Who is the CBC The National's correspondent in Washington, D.C? That man makes me want to vomit every time I hear him.

Jump to: