Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedCloudWulf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: FOX News-Five Health Care Reform Solutions That Make Sense Reply with quote

Americans still want health care reform, but they are looking for clear, patient-centered, fiscally responsible solutions. Physicians for Reform offers such a plan. Here are five reforms we propose.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion.....achusetts/
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know about the American system, those seem like pretty reasonable reforms. I found this bit particularly interesting:
PhysiciansForReform wrote:
Scott Brown's election to the Senate gives the nation a chance to slow down and rethink health care reform. It gives our lawmakers an opportunity to keep the patient at the center of American health care. And to do this we must:

- Scrap the current legislation.
- Enact the five reforms listed above.
- Pass each reform separately, one bill every four months.
- Limit each bill to 50 pages.
- Let each bill pass or fail on its own merits—no pork, no pay-offs.
- Make final language available to the public for at least 7 days prior to voting.

If Obama and his party had taken a similar approach with the reforms they desired, they might have been more successful.
RedCloudWulf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it seems pretty darn reasonable.So why is it so hard to get it done?I just fired off some of these to the GOP homepage.Lets see if they can do anything with it.Its as if everyones griping and no one is actually DOING or LISTENING because of those darn political blinkers.LOL!
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limiting the Bill size is a Red Herring,
Its healthcare, its complicated, it should be big.

Aside from saving a few political aides a few hours as they create the readers digest versions for their Senators or Member of Congress, I don't think a page limit which could effect the spirit of the bill should be tossed in there "just cause"
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you might be right, I think the point is that they tried to do too much, all at once, and very few representitives actually knew what was in the bills. When your core job function is voting on legislation, you better make damn well sure that you know what you are voting for.

Limiting the number of pages might be less important than making sure that representitives and the public actually have time to read it before it comes to a vote. To suggest that executive summaries are sufficient for something this important is placing a great deal of trust (and power) in the hands of unelected political staff. I'm not saying it couldn't work - but you'd have to be sure that the authors and researchers are honestly summarizing what is in the bill.

Jump to: