Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Premier McGuinty to Prorogue Ontario legislature Reply with quote

Quote:
Premier Dalton McGuinty will prorogue the Ontario legislature briefly, although the break isn't expected to start until after next week.

McGuinty said Tuesday he will start a new legislative session some time after the Vancouver Olympics with a speech from throne.

Quote:
There had been speculation that McGuinty was considering proroguing the legislative session in order to allow ministers who were given new portfolios in a cabinet shuffle last month more time to get up to speed on their files.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/politics/sto.....re961.html

I don't disagree with the reason behind the prorogue of Parliament, I do however find it interesting that the CBC has provided a built in justification for the action.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

liberal prorogation = good prorogation

conservative prorogation = bad prorogation

that about sums things up i think as to how the media is concerned on this issue .
RedCloudWulf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe now some of the blind will see it works both ways.Then again maybe not.LMAO!I guess ill still go Conservative then. :P
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's legal, let him do it! But of course, the PCs will whine... I hate Canadian Opposition parties, they all oppose for the sake of opposing about 90% of the time. Then the stuff that needs to be opposed gets almost no coverage.

BTW, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE FEDERAL LIBS TO TOUCH THIS :P :D
905 Tory

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, no one is whining. The PCs are in on this too--every party is. Apparently they just sped up legislation because it was that time of year for prorogation. I heard that Ontario prorogues every other year too. Harris did it, Rae did it. I don't know why they do it so often...maybe they want an extra few weeks off or something.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
It's legal, let him do it! But of course, the PCs will whine... I hate Canadian Opposition parties, they all oppose for the sake of opposing about 90% of the time. Then the stuff that needs to be opposed gets almost no coverage.

BTW, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE FEDERAL LIBS TO TOUCH THIS :P :D

i don't actually think the pc's are against this is proroging was one of the few ways Randy Hillier and Bill Murdoch can get back into the legislature after being kicked out last year over the hst debates .

but its funny how the media is barely talking about this , its like its not even happening but when harper prorogued somehow he was a dictator . its also interesting that dalton is not following any of the rules suggested by ignatieff and will not be holding a vote in the legislature of this prorogation . anyways it be alot harder for the federal liberals to use this against us now during an election as the 2 liberal parties are seen as being linked and related .
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

905 Tory wrote:
Don't worry, no one is whining. The PCs are in on this too--every party is. Apparently they just sped up legislation because it was that time of year for prorogation. I heard that Ontario prorogues every other year too. Harris did it, Rae did it. I don't know why they do it so often...maybe they want an extra few weeks off or something.

Because there is not much to discuss in provincial legislatures, as compared to the Federal parliament.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
905 Tory wrote:

Because there is not much to discuss in provincial legislatures, as compared to the Federal parliament.

HST, The 2010 Ontario Budget, Payroll Tax,
I can think of a few more.

However, I don't see anyone actually discussing it when when Parliament is sitting.

As for Federal Parliament;
They can take another month, if it means I will get exempted from Buy America moving forward.

Jump to: