Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanadianKid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Did PC Party HQ block Ontario Landowners-backed campaign? Reply with quote

http://www.recorder.ca/Article.....?e=2439007

This makes me a little nervous...

Spencerville farmer Shawn Carmichael had withdrawn his candidacy after he said his application was rejected by the provincial party executive.

'Not to be a sore loser, but I'm a little perturbed with the process," Carmichael said in an interview. "If they didn't want me to run, they could have told me Tuesday or Wednesday."

Ken Zeise, president of the PC party of Ontario, denied that Carmichael's application had been rejected. "He withdrew his application before we had made a decision on it."

Carmichael said the local PC executive told him he could not hand in memberships at the riding office on Friday. He said he was also not informed that voting would begin at noon Saturday and not 2 p.m. as had been stated on an earlier announcement.

The PCPO needs a strong performance in Leeds-Grenville to ensure that we hold our rural base, and if PCPO HQ is blocking campaigns backed by the Randy Hillier/Landowners wing of the party, I don't know if that bodes well. I don't know the situation on the ground, so Zeise's statement might be totally true, but even then, Carmichael sounds grumpy. Considering the 3rd place finish the PCPO is coming off of in Toronto Centre, an up-hill battle in Ottawa West-Nepean, the last thing the party needs is the right of the party being shafted in a riding we need everyone on board. If Carmichael was blocked, he would have a pretty good moral case to run as an independent, and could campaign against the PC "establishment".
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, this might be a good thing. Carmichael is operating an illegal chicken operation and is going through the courts last I checked.

I'm not a fan of the supply management system but it's not a good idea to have a candidate that's breaking the law, especially since the pro-supply management farmers make up a big part of the PC base of support.
CanadianKid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the OLA response:

Shawn Carmichael Stands Tall in Leeds-Grenville

Shawn Carmichael proudly represented himself and and fellow Landowners in the PC Party nomination race to become the PC candidate for the riding of Leeds-Grenville on saturday. He dressed well, spoke well, and presented the OLA's philosophical and policy positions on what government should be in a most professional and articulate manner. He was the most impressive of the three candidates that were in the race.
Alas, Shawn was not the candidate favoured by the Leeds-Grenville PC Riding Association and democracy was not served in spite of his obviously superior qualities. Shawn had the courage to try to seize the opportunity to do what was right. He demonstrated integrity and character and a sincere interest in the betterment of community.
This week the Leeds-Grenville Landowners Association grew a little bit bigger, a little bit better and gained huge credibility.
On behalf of the Ontario Landowners Association, I would like to say thank you to Shawn Carmichael and the Leeds-Grenville Landowners Association. You did us all proud!

Jack MacLaren - president - Ontario Landowners Association 613 832 3201
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That press release is kinda vague. Did he stand as a candidate an lose?
CanadianKid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsure. The Landowner and associated people seem to be saying that his candidacy was rejected by HQ. The party is saying he withdrew. Over at FreeDominion a Landowner is saying his campaign might have gotten rejected on a technicality, but that Carmichael had a team in place. Apparently some meetings in the region will be going on in regards to the issue.

Jump to: