Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: The Shotgun Reply with quote

What is up with the blog of the Western Standard? Seems like every third or fourth entry is about Marc Emery and pot. Do you have to be a pot head to be a Libertarian? Because that is something nobody told me.
Some Guy 2.0

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a joker,
I'm a smoker,
I'm a midnight toker!
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that to be an ideologically 'pure' libertarian, you would have to support, at least in theory, the legalization of marihuana. But it seems that it's one of those issues that, if you care about it all, you care about it a lot, and you end up marginalizing yourself from people who would normally be political allies.

It's definately an issue that so-called 'left libertarians' tend to rally around, and in the Canadian context, the imprisonment of Marc Emery allows them to indulge in some good ol' fashioned America-bashing, which even people nominally on the right seem to be unable to resist.

Taking your question at face value, I know quite a few libertarians who take a dim view of drug use, and don't use themselves. But there's a difference between disagreeing with or disliking a self-harming behaviour, and believing the state has a mandate to ban it.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the whole Marc Emery issue. He sold seeds into the US, the US puts him in jail, end of story. His goal was either to get put in prison all along and be a martyr, or he was an idiot. People assure me he is quite smart, so I have to assume he saw this coming, and this is what he wanted form the start; to be a martyr in a foreign prison.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
I don't understand the whole Marc Emery issue. He sold seeds into the US, the US puts him in jail, end of story. His goal was either to get put in prison all along and be a martyr, or he was an idiot. People assure me he is quite smart, so I have to assume he saw this coming, and this is what he wanted form the start; to be a martyr in a foreign prison.

I actually agree; I've got little sympathy for Emery because I believe this is exactly what he wanted. Whether or not I think what he did should be illegal is a seperate issue, as far as I'm concerned.
kwlafayette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, changing the law in your own country is one thing. Picking a fight with a foreign government is quite another.
NYK007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sandy here from Canada. As I have seen your comments & I am obliged that you have share a lot of information with us.

Thanks
Sandy

dell laptop repair

Jump to: