Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBG

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Is Tazing a 10 yr old OK? Asking Child to Behave is Abuse? Reply with quote

When a 10-Year old girls gets upset about having to take a shower and go to bed, should the child's mother call the cops and then encourage the police to taser the child??? According to one parent and one Arkansas Police officer, that is exactly what should happen. Somehow I cannot believe that a full grown Arkansas police officer cannot subdue a ten year old. This is not Vancouver airport and the ten year old was not hurling furniture and staplers.

http://www.thestar.com/news/wo.....ng-bedtime
Quote:
Officer Dustin Bradshaw was called to the home by a woman complaining that her daughter was being unruly and refusing to go to sleep. Bradshaw wrote that when he arrived at the home, he found Kiara Medlock "balled up in (sic) the floor crying and screaming."

After watching her mother attempt to get Kiara into the bathtub with little success, Bradshaw took the girl into the living room and threatened her with jail. That didn't settle things down. At some point, Bradshaw claims Kiara's mother told him to "taser her if I needed to."

http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/9828/48/
Quote:
The child, not surprisingly, "immediately stopped resisting and was placed into handcuffs. She would not walk on her own and I had to carry her to my police car."

In my neck of the woods, even good parenting results in a call to Division of Youth and Family Services.

I know of a situation where a family had two sons about 17 months, and one grade apart. The younger child, who had some developmental issues and got special assistance in learning, was bothering the older child in school. The family asked the school to talk to the children. The children mentioned being "scared" sometimes of the father in this relatively well-run home. The father, it seems, insists on at least some homework and household chores being done. The result, without further investigation, was a referral to Division of Family and Youth Services, and an investigation of the family. The social worker quickly terminated the investigation.

The problem is that sometimes even constructive approaches to authorities can badly backfire. I wonder why this mother gets away with what amounts to attempted murder whereas constructive family discipline is punished.
hatrock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with the use of Tasers at all. A 10 yr old? This disgusts me.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatrock wrote:
I don't agree with the use of Tasers at all. A 10 yr old? This disgusts me.

I say he should have tased the mother!
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another situation where dumb ass parents abdicate their responsibilities to the state.

The cop should have offered to tase mommy so she could have felt what she was dishing out. What wrong with a little electron dance for mom first anyway.

You can't slap a child in the US for fear the CPS will step in, but you can get a third party to give them shock treatment and it's all good? A school can put a child in solitary confinement for all the hoiurs they are in their building till a child in desperation hangs it's self.

Oh right.............. one is the state, the other is the parent.....

Last edited by crazymamma on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
crazymamma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goody:

Ozark officer in Taser case is suspended
He didnít follow procedures on deviceís use, mayor says

Oh baddy:

McDaniel said Noggle did not suspend Bradshaw because he used the Taser on the girl but because Bradshaw didnít follow department procedures regarding the weaponís video camera.

Suspended because he didn't follow regs? They have got to be kidding me.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/.....-20091119/
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the cops should have responded to the mothers plea but not the way she thinks. The police should have picked the child & sent her to childs services & the mother should have been taken into the police station handcuffed & humiliated for being unfit.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
Just another situation where dumb ass parents abdicate their responsibilities to the state.

The cop should have offered to tase mommy so she could have felt what she was dishing out. You can't slap a child in the US for fear the CPS will step in, but you can get a third party to give them shock treatment and it's all good?

I couldn't have said it better myself.

-Mac
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:

You can't slap a child in the US for fear the CPS will step in, but you can get a third party to give them shock treatment and it's all good? A school can put a child in solitary confinement for all the hoiurs they are in their building till a child in desperation hangs it's self.

This is the problem right here... and it's why I'm actually a bit sympathetic to the mother, if she chose to call the cops because she was afraid of the legal repercussions of her personally using bodily force to make her daughter comply.

The folks who want to outlaw spanking and the like are heads-in-the-clouds idealists who thinks that every child can be calmly reasoned with. No, some kids sadly only respond to physical force (at least in the beginning)... now that physical force should be as mild as possible, but a slight slap across the wrist or a spanking might be necessary sometimes to get a child to comply with necessary requests (like cleaning themselves).

All of the above being said, tazing a ten year old is ridiculous. Police really seem to rely way too much on the tazer.

Maybe we should start training police officers in grappling skills at the Hart Dungeon in Calgary. ;)
JBG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:

Except in the situation I discussed, the father verbally, without slapping, told an older sibling who made his younger brother cry "pick on someone your own size, we don't tolerate bullying, is that clear"? After that lecture to the older child, he told school authorities that his father "scared" him, thus generating a Division of Youth and Family Service report.

Last edited by JBG on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
JBG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habsrwfan wrote:
Maybe we should start training police officers in grappling skills at the Hart Dungeon in Calgary. ;)
I am a Yank totally ignorant about Canada. What is the Hart Dungeon?
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBG wrote:
Habsrwfan wrote:

Well, I said it half-jokingly.

The Hart Dungeon is at the home of the Hart family of Calgary, a family of pretty famous pro wrestlers in Canada (you may be familiar with their most famous member - former WWE/WWF Champion Bret "Hitman" Hart). The Hart Dungeon is (in)famous for being a grueling place where Stu Hart would train hopeful wrestlers in how to be good in-ring pro wrestlers; it had an emphasis on wresting submission holds. A lot of Canada's best pro wrestlers were trained at the Hart Dungeon.

Anyway, it was just my tongue-in-cheek way of saying that more police officers perhaps need to be trained in how to wrestle people to the ground. I'm seeing an awful lot of bad tazer incidents lately, and I'm starting to wonder if tazers are overused. At the very least, they shouldn't be used on kids, and a police officer should be able to wrestle a kid to the ground.
JBG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habsrwfan wrote:
JBG wrote:
Habsrwfan wrote:

Thanks.

Maybe I should come up there and learn something about Canada. I'm thinking about booking an ocean cruise from Edmonton to Calgary to Saskatoon to Regina and back to Edmonton.
crazymamma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officer Dustin Bradshaw was called to the home by a woman complaining that her daughter was being unruly and refusing to go to sleep. Bradshaw wrote that when he arrived at the home, he found Kiara Medlock "balled up in (sic) the floor crying and screaming."

After watching her mother attempt to get Kiara into the bathtub with little success, Bradshaw took the girl into the living room and threatened her with jail. That didn't settle things down. At some point, Bradshaw claims Kiara's mother told him to "taser her if I needed to

I must be crazy, the above reads as if HE (Dustin) watched the mom attempt to get the DAUGHTER in a BATHTUB

Was the ten year old naked? How else would you take a bath? That is weird or sick or I have reading comprehension issues tonight.
Deum Colere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
Oh goody:

He didn’t follow procedures on device’s use, mayor says

Oh baddy:

McDaniel said Noggle did not suspend Bradshaw because he used the Taser on the girl but because Bradshaw didn’t follow department procedures regarding the weapon’s video camera.

To be fair, using it against a minor was probably not entirely against regulations, as ridiculous as that is, and since they wanted him gone they had to get him on something else.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deum Colere wrote:
crazymamma wrote:
Oh goody:

He didnít follow procedures on deviceís use, mayor says

Oh baddy:

McDaniel said Noggle did not suspend Bradshaw because he used the Taser on the girl but because Bradshaw didnít follow department procedures regarding the weaponís video camera.

To be fair, using it against a minor was probably not entirely against regulations, as ridiculous as that is, and since they wanted him gone they had to get him on something else.

From my understanding, the idea of the Taser when it first came out was that it was an alternative to deadly force, not an alternative form of child care.
Don't take this as an insult to all police officers, but there are idiots in every profession. This guy should have been weeded out long ago.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: