Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torian

Reputation: 42.2Reputation: 42.2Reputation: 42.2Reputation: 42.2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: possible move to Alberta Reply with quote

Currently live in Ontario, but my DH has a possible opportunity to work in Edmonton.

Are there any areas to avoid if we relocated and looked for a house?
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

118th Ave, 92 st. Stay away from places like Abbottsfield, its a rough area. Some areas just north of the North Saskatchewan River valley tends to have a bad reputation. There are probably a few other areas with gang problems. You will regularly hear of violent crime and shootings but you will likely never witness it.

Generally, Edmonton is a very safe city. I enjoyed my time there, except for the -40 weather.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're buying, I'd actually recommend Leduc or Spruce Grove, small towns just outside of Edmonton with short commutes. Neither have significant crime problems. Alternatively, St.Albert or Sherwood Park.
torian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!

now, other than the cold winter, can you give me pros and cons to living in Alberta? I'm thinking I will love the politics compared to Ontario, but I need to know things like crime, infrastructure, schools, standard of living, etc

I know I'm asking a lot :)

tori
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a lot of it will be relative to where exactly in Ontario you're living. Rural north western Ontario can be surprisingly similar in many aspects to rural Alberta. Politically, Alberta seems to be in one of its rare periods of transition - the provincially governing PCs are not particularly well regarded right now (of course, this is mostly due to there utter lack of anything resembling conservatism).

Infrastructure is fairly good, especially roads. High speed internet and cell service is available most everywhere south of Grande Prairie. Schools are pretty good in terms of availability, class size ... etc. Healthcare is probably not noticably different from Ontario, cities suffer from a fair amount of overutilization ... etc. From what I understand, utilities are cheaper here, as is insurance if you have a good driving history. There's no provincial or harmonized sales tax - so many things you buy will be that much cheaper.
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering all the pros and cons, I personally think Alberta is a better place to live than Ontario today.
The Edmonton area is probably the only bastion of liberalism in Alberta (they have an NDP MP) so you might not notice a big difference politically.
The real grassroots conservatism we hear about is mainly in rural and southern Alberta. Good Luck. :)
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, how does Calgary compare to Edmonton? I've visited both and I liked Calgary more as it seemed to have a smaller town feel to it.

-Mac
hatrock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost of living and housing prices in Calgary is generally more than Edmonton.

Calgary is only 45 min away from the mountains where Edmonton is 3 hours.

There's much more to do in Edmonton's River Valley, which is the largest urban park land in North America. Lots and lots of golf courses too.

If you're working in the NW or SE industrial edges of Edmonton, I'd recommend living near there and perhaps not closer to the core.

I live, work, and socialize in downtown Edmonton, and I enjoy it very much. Night-life is excellent (and I've been to a lot of cities).

In the summer and fall, I enjoy strolling down the trendy Whyte Avenue, do some shopping, and have a cup of coffee or beer on various patios.

Edmonton also has more mall retail per capita than anywhere (because of West Edmonton Mall).

Lots of amazing restaurants from a variety of cultures here too.

And festivals... in the summer months, every weekend, there's a big festival going on. I try to take in as many as I can as they're a lot of fun. Great music and art. Edmonton was named Cultural Capital of Canada a couple years ago I think.

Potan was correct. Places to avoid living in Edmonton are North of 104 Ave, East of 124 St.. There are some areas north of 137 ave that are quite nice and quiet. Avoid anything off of 118 ave (Hell's Angels run that street). Near Stony Plain Road west of 149 St is kind of shady. And I probably wouldn't live in Millwoods (several weird gang-related home drive-by shootings).

For politics, there's a good conservative group here that's quite social as well and it's easy to get involved. Good campaign teams.
torian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatrock wrote:
Potan was correct. Places to avoid living in Edmonton are North of 104 Ave, East of 124 St.. There are some areas north of 137 ave that are quite nice and quiet. Avoid anything off of 118 ave (Hell's Angels run that street). Near Stony Plain Road west of 149 St is kind of shady. And I probably wouldn't live in Millwoods (several weird gang-related home drive-by shootings).

What do you think of the areas of Leduc or Beaumont? Are they nice?
Edmonton_fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you a private message...
hatrock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Edmonton Named Most Sociable City in North America

December 15, 2009
Edmonton tops 9 American cities in garnering award

The Responsible Hospitality Institute has named Edmonton the most Sociable City in North America.
The award recognizes Edmonton’s success in creating a safe and vibrant nightlife.

Edmonton’s innovative marketing campaigns, partnerships between government and businesses, the Public Safety Compliance Team and other city services were highlighted in awarding the honour to the city. The award acknowledges the city’s work in its 13 different entertainment districts, which include Whyte Avenue in Old Strathcona, West Edmonton Mall, and downtown.

“We’re honoured for the recognition and proud to work closely with our many partners in the industry, community and government. Our work through Responsible Hospitality Edmonton (RHE) definitely contributes to Edmonton’s renowned high quality of life,” said Angela Turner, RHE Project Coordinator.

“The cities that received awards are outstanding models for planning and managing nightlife. Their city leaders are at the forefront of innovation for harnessing dining and entertainment as an economic engine to drive revitalization and increase city funds,” said RHI president Jim Peters.

Edmonton has become the go-to city for others to learn about safely managing entertainment districts. RHE was invited to the New York Regional Forum where cities like Boston, Philadelphia and New York examined Edmonton’s successful strategies. The City of Pittsburgh also consulted Edmonton to learn how it successfully evolved the management of the Whyte Avenue area in Old Strathcona.

Other major North American cities competing with Edmonton for the coveted title included:

* Long Beach, Santa Rosa, Livermore and San Jose, California,
* Gainesville and West Palm Beach, Florida
* Seattle, Washington
* Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

The City of Edmonton created RHE to plan, manage and police 13 hospitality and entertainment district zones throughout the city to support community development, revitalization, safety and economic development.

The first Sociable City Awards were recently presented in Austin, Texas. Criteria to determine the top sociable city focused on safety and vibrancy to encourage partnerships, proactive compliance education and training, public space entertainment, multi-cultural and/or multi-generational activities and public services supporting an active nightlife.

http://edmonton.ca/city_govern.....ble-c.aspx
Ardvark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leduc and Beaumont are nice communities but if you are going to be working on the north side the commute might make you think twice.

Oh and I have to comment on Hatrock's Millwoods comment. Yes there was an above average amount of crime a few years ago, it was so bad jokes were being made about it, but that has thankfully been resolved and Millwoods is back to being boringly average.
hatrock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardvark wrote:
Leduc and Beaumont are nice communities but if you are going to be working on the north side the commute might make you think twice.

Oh and I have to comment on Hatrock's Millwoods comment. Yes there was an above average amount of crime a few years ago, it was so bad jokes were being made about it, but that has thankfully been resolved and Millwoods is back to being boringly average.

True that. Stony Plain Road after 156 st has been probably a bit more sketchy lately.
torian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardvark wrote:

It's taking my H about an hour commute for approx a 13km drive right now. Anything could be better.

Jump to: