Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
concerned

Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Copenhagen/Public School/Need Advice Reply with quote

First of all I have to state that I am a teacher in a public school. I'm sure there are a lot of people on this forum who dislike teachers. That is very understandable as there are many teachers that I dislike. However, there are plenty of good teachers out there.

With this Copenhagen Summit going on this week, a couple of teachers in my school thought it was the perfect time to turn students into activists. A huge petition was out insisting that something serious needs to get done in Copenhagen to save our planet, and a number of teachers and students in my school signed it. I was very disappointed because I believe schools should focus on educating, not promoting a certain teachers political agenda by teaching kids to become activists.

Now I don't put much merit in petitions. As a matter of fact, I asked a number of students who signed it why they signed it. Almost every student said they didn't know why they signed it, or they signed it because someone told them to. Yet it still bugs me tremendously that this went on in my school. I could understand and would be OK with it if the students, on their own, wanted to do something like this. However, the teacher started this project.

There are also teachers in my school telling students how damaging the Alberta tar sands are. Students aren't made aware of how the revenue from the tar sands help support many tax-paying families, and help keep our health care system "free".

I know I am venting and this may seem like a non-issue with many of you. But this is bugging me so much that I can't sleep. I don't present my political views in the classroom. I know that being a Conservative, I am greatly outnumbered in my school, and I will get ganged up on if I offer a rebuttal. I'm ticked off that parents don't seem to give a damn that their kids are learning to be eco-activists. I know there are many of you on this forum with excellent knowledge, and I wonder if any of you could give me some advice on what I could say to my students to make them realize that a global carbon tax would severely hurt them, their small farming community, and their country. Thanks to all of you who give me a little help. I appreciate it.
Swift

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What grade level are you interested in? Also what facet(s) of the AGW theory, fundamental science, effects of warming, carbon trading, other mitigation schemes, economic consequences of carbon trading? There is a huge amount of material available.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was illegal to get children under 18 to sign any petition. This should be brought up to the school board or the ministry of Education.
concerned

Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift wrote:
What grade level are you interested in? Also what facet(s) of the AGW theory, fundamental science, effects of warming, carbon trading, other mitigation schemes, economic consequences of carbon trading? There is a huge amount of material available.

Junior high and high school. I want students to realize that there are two sides to this story, and that 1 side is barely represented by the media. I want them to know that Al Gore stands to profit big from a carbon tax. I want them to realize how a carbon tax will hurt a small rural farming community.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

concerned wrote:
Junior high and high school. I want students to realize that there are two sides to this story, and that 1 side is barely represented by the media. I want them to know that Al Gore stands to profit big from a carbon tax. I want them to realize how a carbon tax will hurt a small rural farming community.

Perhaps you could download a copy of Penn & Teller's "BULLSHIT" segment on global warming... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONd-Yk48R8E and show it in class?

-Mac
WBD

Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7Reputation: 38.7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

concerned wrote:
Swift wrote:

I asked for help on another aspect of this same issue and got it from The Friends of Science. They may be able to help you or will direct you to other resources.
www.friendsofscience.org

You might also try contacting Dr. Tim Ball (Letters@canadafreepress.com). He is a former professor who does educational talks to students about climate change. He is one of the founders of Friends of Science I think. They could put you in contact with him also.

Bill in Calgary
Swift

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I will give you some websites that have loads of information. Two Australian journalists have covered climate related matters extensively, Andrew Bolt at http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/ and Jo Nova at http://joannenova.com.au/. These two are usually general interest level and topical, but have some of the easily understood background science. More scientifically oriented, but many of the posts are suitable for even junior high school is a blog run by Anthony Watts, http://wattsupwiththat.com/. Steve McIntyre's http://www.climateaudit.org/ is a blog that has posts from jr. high to university level. Steve, along with his coauthor, Ross McKittrick from the University of Guelph found the flaws in the original hockey stick. This blog can not only be used for material, but it can also be used as an example of the ideal scientific method. He posts all his data, or at least links to his sources in some cases. He also provides turnkey source code. This means anyone can check his work very easily. He uses the free computer language R, so your top students in the higher grades can duplicate his results if they have the math. Unfortunately many of these more technical posts have math that is probably not taught until university. Finally there is http://www.climatedepot.com/. This is a collection of links to a plethora of news stories on both sides of the debate. It is getting late, so I will continue this tomorrow.

Jump to: