Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you condone the sale of products in Canada made With Dog and Cat fur?
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Yuck!
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Unsure
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Products Being Imorted Into Canada Made With Dog and Cat Fur Reply with quote

Link

As far as 'animal rights activism' is concerned it's not a subject that I usually post about anymore - but a good friend [not vegetarian!] sent me some information that just begs being shared by as many of us as possible.

It seems that China has been exporting items with dog and cat fur on them - things like moccasins and cat toys etc., anything with fur from China is suspect. This isn't about rabbit or fox etc., this is about dogs and cats - this goes against the sensibility of Westerners.

We know the made in China tag is found on goods in virtually every department store...thus it's important for those who care about some dignity of animals to not purchase items made in China that have fur on them. Products made of dog and cat fur offend the standards of most Canadians and that is why they are not labeled as such on a tag...as people would not knowingly buy such products!

We should also write a quick email to our trade minister the Hon. Mr. Day and express our concern that products made with dog and cat fur should not be imported into Canada - here are his email addresses:

day.s@parl.gc.ca - days1@parl.gc.ca

Our Prime Minster is very keen to the needs of cats and dogs - here is something from his website:

http://www.pm.gc.ca/eng/feature.asp?pageId=73

We should also write to our Prime Minister and express our concern that products made with dog and cat fur should not be imported into Canada - here are his email addresses:

harper.s@parl.gc.ca - pm@pm.gc.ca

There is also a petition on this matter we can sign:

http://www.ptroa.co.il/phpPETITION

There is some discussion on this issue and the seal hunt - some activists and even the federal government itself are trying to connect the issues:

Many Canadians have opposed the cruel actions of the seal hunt, but they may be oblivious to wearing cat and dog fur, as Ottawa allows the trade, producing unlabled clothing.

The federal government permits the importaion of such pet fur because a ban would threaten the exportation of Canadian seal products, according to the Humane Society of Canada.

The trade involves the brutal slaughter of an estimated two million dogs and cats worldwide every year, primarily in China,Thailand and the Philippines, according to the Fur-Bearer Defenders, a Canadian advocacy group.

The European Union bans dog and cat fur products, so does the United States. Despite a request by the EU, Canada has not followed suit.

In an internal government memo obtained by the Toronto Star, Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz is asked to continue sanctioning the cat and dog fur trade because banning it could shed a negative light on the seal hunt.

"A ban could have implications for the farmed fur industry in Canada and for Canada's position against the banning of Canadian seal products by other countries," reads the memo.

http://www.thedailyplanet.com/.....Itemid=268

It's not a related issue to farmed fur in Canada or the seal 'industry'. In Canada for instance farmed fur has more regulations than you would find in China Thailand and the Philippines.

Whatever anyone thinks of the seal hunt and the products coming from it there is NO connection to this - there should be NO excuse for this and - if Chinese Thai and the Philippine governments want to connect them - our government must point out that Canadians do not farm such fur in Canada!

Who wants to have anything with dog and cat fur on it - especially from brutally killed dogs and cats?! If you have any doubts about that brutality - just watch the video - it's not for the faint of heart.

If we cannot get the government to follow suit with the U.S. and the E.U. then we can 'boycott' fur products from China Thailand and the Philippines.

Please let's not make some excuse on this one that it's not our concern etc., because there is a limit to what we should be willing to find acceptable. Do we really 'need' these products if they are made from such detestable practices?

I'm a vegetarian and I don't like what goes on in that 'industry' either but I don't 'protest' or 'boycott' it or stores that sell it...I cannot say the same of this pet fur issue.

Last edited by don muntean on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:20 am; edited 5 times in total
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel ill and I acrually started to cry. Those people are barbarians to doing that stuff to a living creature.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opposition to the seal hunt and opposition to these products are both founded in emotional, anthropomorphic indulgence. It would be extremely hypocritical of us to ban the import of dog/cat products while demanding that other nations keep their borders open to our seal products, which is why the memo to Ritz says what it does.

I suppose I don't have a problem with requiring the products to be labelled as 'mixed canine fur', for example, provided that such labelling provisions were not used in a punitive or coercive fashion.

I do object to others deciding what is or isn't appropriate for me to purchase. It's one thing to advocate for awareness of these practices, and quite another to advocate for the heavy hand of government to intervene and remove choices.

And no, I'm not defending or endorsing these practices. But I'd rather consumer preference and social pressure decided the fate of their products.
don muntean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Opposition to the seal hunt and opposition to these products are both founded in emotional, anthropomorphic indulgence. It would be extremely hypocritical of us to ban the import of dog/cat products while demanding that other nations keep their borders open to our seal products

How sad you could think sensitivity to suffering is 'anthropomorphic indulgence'.

Finding repugnance in the practice of dogs and cats being routinely skinned alive is rudimentary civility not "anthropomorphic indulgence"? :roll:

Did you watch the video? I hope you're not so desensitized that you would think the notion of a 'non human' suffering terrible pain - is an invention by the left wing!

I submit that an argument of 'anthropomorphism' in this connection is simplistic and evasive of the observable facts!

It is certainly not hypocrisy in connection to the seal hunt! They're unconnected issues.

One could say that assessment is your reactionary tendency - any time anyone says the government should have some responsibility to regulate certain 'free market choices'?

:arrow:

Last edited by don muntean on Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Liberals do it we call it humane but when conservatives do it we call it barbaric.
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make them LABLE it in the biggest letters possible that it contains cat and dog fur.

Let the consumer decide.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazymamma wrote:
Just make them LABLE it in the biggest letters possible that it contains cat and dog fur.

Let the consumer decide.

Agreed.

-Mac
don muntean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasdrubal wrote:
When Liberals do it we call it humane but when conservatives do it we call it barbaric.

Do what? :?
don muntean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were so labeled - would it offend our sensibilities to see dog and cat meat in our supermarkets? Sometimes letting consumers decide is sufficient and sometimes the government has to regulate. We all know that there are ingredient labels on food packages and nutrition charts on packages but only a small percentage of people read them. Most people only look at one label - the price tag.
Some Guy 2.0

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I find here is that we aren't informed that there is dog or cat hair in the product. As for the dog or cat hair actually being there? I don't care. I don't buy fur.
mr12387

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the question has to be asked, if what is seen in the video would be considered illegal in Canada then shouldn't anything resulting from those actions (in this case fur products), even in another jurisdiction, be deemed illegal as well?

Kind of like saying collecting kidneys harvested from living beings without their consent is OK so long as the kidneys are harvested outside of the country.

(This is under the assumption that such acts are illegal in Canada, which I'm pretty sure they are considering that many puppy mills don't even equate to the amount of cruelty witnessed in the video )
Ardvark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is anyone really surprised by this. You can buy anything you want from China, anything. http://www.nationalpost.com/ne.....id=2012364
don muntean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr12387 wrote:
I think the question has to be asked, if what is seen in the video would be considered illegal in Canada then shouldn't anything resulting from those actions (in this case fur products), even in another jurisdiction, be deemed illegal as well?

Kind of like saying collecting kidneys harvested from living beings without their consent is OK so long as the kidneys are harvested outside of the country.

(This is under the assumption that such acts are illegal in Canada, which I'm pretty sure they are considering that many puppy mills don't even equate to the amount of cruelty witnessed in the video )

Very good point! :!:
harrison72

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We all know that there are ingredient labels on food packages and nutrition charts on packages but only a small percentage of people read them.

sigh... our culture is often orientated to the lowest common denominator.

We read labels when we shop. Most would not buy if they took the time to research things like this, but the powers that be have them so busy just trying to survive that they don't have the time and energy to do so....

btw, thanks for the registration help Stephen. I didn't read the red instructions :)

Jump to: