Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krackerjack121

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Infrared Heaters Reply with quote

With winter looming, I have been considering different options to keep my heating bill down this winter. I had heard that IR heating is a cheaper way to heat a home then say portable ekectric heaters. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these heaters and what there experience is.

Thanks,

Rocky
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of them used in homes but my family has some at our auto repair shop.

The only thing I can say is that they warm really well and quickly however you have to be directly under them, or in their "line of sight"to receive the heat.

For example, if somebody stands in front of you they'll get all the heat.

I guess their like those heaters that they use in the seats in some hockey arenas if you know what I mean.
skuleman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky

You don't provide a lot of information about your house, your location etc.

Generally though, anything you do to decrease your need for the heaters is going to be a bigger help and there are a ton of things you can do for little or no cost to reduce your heating requirements.

Either heater type is basically converting electricity into heat, with some loss in efficiency. The advantage of the radiant heat is it will heat localized things up quickly, but if there is no available heat sink then the heating effect is lost as soon as the current flow stops.

The real issue with portable heaters is the cost of moving the heat. The most cost effective would be radiators that have a high mass (oil filled) and rely on convection only to move warm air. Then you're not paying for energy to run a fan, and the mass will retain much of the heat after the current is off. If however, your home is very drafty this will reduce the effectiveness as you'll just suck in cold air from all the leaks.
Elmira Viking

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be really nitpicking, any electric heater is infrared, I think. As well, I think any electric heater is nearly 100% efficient. The real cost comes from the cost per kilowatt that you are paying.
krackerjack121

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I was thinking about the heaters in the same line of thought as you, the less you have to use them the better. I had just read that they are pretty good.

I live in Central Alberta, so we get lots of temperature variation.

Thanks,

Rocky
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you really should clarify if you mean "infared heating" or "radiant heating".

I had assumed you meant radiant heating.

Jump to: