Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Hamilton No, Quebec City Yes? Reply with quote

That's retarded. I'm no fan of Jim Balsillie personally, but this wouldn't be fair to him or the GTA at all!
thurmas

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not fair but with quebec city it doesn't really infringe on anyone's territory expect montreal who would really love to rekindle the battle of quebec anyway. Hopefully quebec, hamilton and us here in winnipeg all get nhl hockey back real soon. It was rumored last week that the Thompson family the richest in canada is rumored to be purchasing the atlanta thrashers and move them to winnipeg because they are part owners of the mts centre here in winnipeg.
paisley_cross

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both no. The Quebec City mayor is up for reelection next month and he is making an issue out of it. It'll die after the election.
Skinny Dipper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem the NHL will face in the future is young Canadians having less interest in hockey. If kids can't go to the games in Toronto because its too expensive for families or unavailable in Hamilton, they will seek alternative sporting interests.

I found it interesting watching the first Leafs home game. During the first period, most of the lower level platinum seats were empty. These seats are owned by seasons ticket holders.
CPP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hamilton No, Quebec City Yes? Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
That's retarded. I'm no fan of Jim Balsillie personally, but this wouldn't be fair to him or the GTA at all!

And I'll bet you my HST rebate that the Quebec Nation will want some kind of financial assistance from the Feds to attrack another American Hockey League, sorry I mean NHL team to Quebec. :roll:
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skinny Dipper wrote:
One problem the NHL will face in the future is young Canadians having less interest in hockey. If kids can't go to the games in Toronto because its too expensive for families or unavailable in Hamilton, they will seek alternative sporting interests.

Hockey is also getting too expensive for kids to play. And while I would like to see a lot more interest in other sports such as baseball it would be disappointing to see our youth turn to crime as things become less affordable.

BTW one day I hope to see Halifax get an NHL team though Moncton has a very good shot of beating out Halifax because of its location making it the hub of the maritimes.
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasdrubal wrote:

BTW one day I hope to see Halifax get an NHL team though Moncton has a very good shot of beating out Halifax because of its location making it the hub of the maritimes.

Moncton had both a JR Hockey franchise and an AHL franchise fold. They don't have a prayer of landing an NHL franchices. Not to mention the fact that if an average NHL payroll is $40 million, and the population of Moncon is 100K, if would work out to $400 a person just for payroll. Not to mention a rink you could use for little else. Places like Winnipeg, Quebec city, Saskatoon, Regina, London, Kitchener/Guelph, Hamilton would all make better locations.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quebec City simply does not work as far as the NHL goes. There is only one professional hockey team in that province, and that is not going to change any time soon. I mean, they had a good franchise, and they showed no desire to keep it. The year after they moved, that team won a championship.

Quebec City is the Canadian equivalent of Phoenix. I would be surprised if they sold even 5000 tickets on average.
thurmas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gotta be joking about quebec being like phoenix they are an awesome market they almost always sold out the colisee when they had the nords and their current junior team draws 12,000 a night, hockey is canada plain and simple.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thurmas wrote:
you gotta be joking about quebec being like phoenix they are an awesome market they almost always sold out the colisee when they had the nords and their current junior team draws 12,000 a night, hockey is canada plain and simple.
Then why did the Nordique move to Colorado? Teams that sell out every night don't move. Period.
thurmas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they moved for several reasons one being the canadian dollar was at around 65-70 cents us 2) their efforts to build a new arena with luxrey suits which generate alot of revenue failled and after the 94 lockout there was no salary cap which killed teams like the jets and nordiques. You can say quebec might be a poor market because of a small corporate base but their fans did show up every night so don't knock the average in quebec because they did show up every night.

Jump to: