Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there will be an independent cross party effort to introduce an abortion law once the conservatives get a majority. We really don't know how many MPs are closet pro-lifers.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Elizabeth May is Pro-Life ... it would be an interesting list to compile on current political figures and their views on Abortion.

Off topic ... but were did the trolls go ?

Usually topics like this attract trolls like flies to a cow patty.
paisley_cross

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

potan wrote:
I'm sure there will be an independent cross party effort to introduce an abortion law once the conservatives get a majority. We really don't know how many MPs are closet pro-lifers.

That would be the way to do it. Cross-party, well-thought out bill that would attract Parliamentary and public support - and of course loads of money. Getting the various anti-abortion groups working together to garner support for the bill is a must if there is any chance of getting it passed.

I once saw a figure of 70 MPs that would definitely vote for such a bill. I suspect it is more now with more Tory MPs. With 60% plus of the public favoring restrictions on abortion the chances of the right bill making it through are favorable.

Last edited by paisley_cross on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuralandRight wrote:
Even Elizabeth May is Pro-Life ... it would be an interesting list to compile on current political figures and their views on Abortion.

May? Can you give me a source for that?
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5
votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paisley_cross wrote:
RuralandRight wrote:

May? Can you give me a source for that?

Perhaps I am wrong ... seems the source I found shows she has a wishy washy stance on abortion. ... I seem to remember her being quoted as being pro-life in the past but she may have been talking really fast like when she said 'Canadians are stupid"

Quote:
CC.com: A number of Canadian Christians are concerned about issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage. What are your policies in those areas?

May: The number one difference with the Green Party is that we really do believe that these issues -- as difficult and emotional and divisive as they may be -- should be treated with respect. I think that it is wrong to be less than respectful when someone says they have a problem with abortion because they recognize from their point of view that life is sacred at all points from conception forward.

The Green Party, at the same time, absolutely supports that we need a legal right to abortion in this country. In the same way, same-sex marriage, as a secular legal issue, is a rights issue and a Charter issue. Still, any church community must be able to make its own decisions and its own determinations about whatever forms of marriage are recognized within that religious community. So, to keep it separate between secular and church is really quite critical. I am not unhappy with the policy of the Green Party in these areas, but I think abortion should be safe, legal, and rare.

http://www.canadianchristianit.....03may.html
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Green Party, at the same time, absolutely supports that we need a legal right to abortion in this country. In the same way, same-sex marriage, as a secular legal issue, is a rights issue and a Charter issue. Still, any church community must be able to make its own decisions and its own determinations about whatever forms of marriage are recognized within that religious community. So, to keep it separate between secular and church is really quite critical. I am not unhappy with the policy of the Green Party in these areas, but I think abortion should be safe, legal, and rare.

If she she wants to retain abortion as "legal" that is not in line with the views of most anti-abortion activists. And everybody wants to make it "rare". I'm all for birth control education to cut down on unwanted pregnancies.

It was my understanding about May that her views have become somewhat more pro-abortion since she became the Green leader. Those who are inclined to be Green are more likely to be on the liberal side of the ledger.
Libertas

votes: 6

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to waffle between a consistent pro-life position or a consistent pro-death position. Currently I'm closer to being pro-death. Pro-choice, pro-assisted suicide, pro-death penalty, pro-war. I'm not going to take the standard wishy washy and ultimately lazy position of being pro-choice but wanting it to be "safe, legal, and rare." If you take the position that it is a human life you can't support abortion, it's like saying murder should be safe, legal, and rare. If you think that a fetus isn't deserving of the status of an individual then you shouldn't really care how rare it is.

I understand the procedure looks graphic but so do most medical procedures. The only law I might be willing to accept is having it limited to the first trimester. Outside of that a fetus isn't a person or an individual until it has the capability to live outside the womb.

That being said I find the actions of the most ardent pro-choice individuals like Joyce Arthur to be idiotic to say the least. Especially when some of these people think any discussion on abortion is akin to supporting the rape of women. This is an ethical issue and centers around when life begins. The idiots at the students unions and extreme pro-choice organizations should stop their battle to end any debate on the issue.

If that makes me a troll, so be it.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libertas wrote:
Outside of that a fetus isn't a person or an individual until it has the capability to live outside the womb.

I feel sorry for all of the disabled "people" who aren't individuals according to you because they can't survive on their own.
Alan A.

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phrase "pro-life"... Oh my. As if a couple getting an abortion was "anti-life". Anyway. Moving on, I don't have time for all the philosophy today.

(For the record: I would never accept an abortion as a solution for my wife and I, were we to expect an unwanted baby, unless severe disability pre-detected. Moral and personal choice.)

But I suspect it's all about effing religious beliefs and dogmas again, as opposed to free-- and rational thinking. And I don't want to go there either.
Libertas

votes: 6

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I feel sorry for all of the disabled "people" who aren't individuals according to you because they can't survive on their own.

Depends on what condition the disabled individual is in, and if they're able to make decisions on their own. If not, it should be up to the family whether or not to pull the plug so to speak, if they decide not to they'll have to pay for the needs of the individual.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: