Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edmund Onward James

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: La saga de France et Québec Reply with quote

When was the last time the French won anything big?

Ah, oui, France won the World Cup in soccer. Before that, Montreal Canadians won the Stanley Cup. I think the Quebecois and Language Police wanted to change the Anglais name to Levesque Cup, at least when it was in their province.

France and Quebec are of the same ilk even if they cannot understand each other. And the Quebecois, specifically the separatists, mourn the loss on the Plains of Abraham (also known as the Battle of Quebec, of the Seven years War) in a victorious way.

I wonder how the French mourn the Battle of Trafalgar, where Horatio Nelson’s command destroyed their fleet, along with the Spanish navy. Never mind Wellington versus Napoleon.

In my opinion, the French can’t stand the British victories, and the fact, along with Canada and America, the Brits saved their sorry-asses in WWI and WWII.

Worse, the English language is the prominent linguistic exchange around the world.

Mon dieu!

Furthermore, the jealous French are not fond of America. How dare Lance Armstrong monopolize the Tour de France. Must have been drugs. Or some kind of fix. Certainement!

In essence, it seems they refuse to dignifiedly accept defeat, as Men and Women of Honour. Of course, I don’t mean all the French, including the Quebecois – I like Sarkozy’s conservative actions, and the Quebec family that tolerated me during my French emersion stay – but enough Frenchmen that makes me want to stick a baguette up their… excuse moi… derrière.

James Wolfe defeated Marquis de Montcalm on the plateau. Canada eventually became an English colony and sovereign nation. Nevertheless, French is the second language, because... well because they pushed and pushed, expanded the envelope with procreation... regardless that the BLOC is a one province party, which desires separation.

Go figure.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This linked excerpt updates the continuing war: "From Fearful Symmetry: The Fall and Rise of Canada's Founding Values by Brian Lee Crowley

Brian Lee Crowley: The bidding war for Quebecers
http://network.nationalpost.co.....ecers.aspx
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: La saga de France et Québec Reply with quote

Edmund Onward James wrote:
Go figure.

One could argue that the Francophones of Quebec lost the battle at the Plains of Abraham but they won the war...

-Mac
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't confuse France with French-Canadians.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explain, Cool Blue. Because that's like saying do not confuse British English with Canadian or American -- or in India. There might be some spelling differences, pronunciations, but generally the words mean the same.

There are languages in this country that continue and are not forced down our throats yet... such as Mandarin or any other Chinese dialect. However it might be wiser to learn them as the second language rather than whiny nasal French of Quebec.

Part of a healthy forum that debates is to counter with reasoning and explanations.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't talking about languages.

Comparing France to French-Canadians is like comparing Canadians to Australians.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there so much of a difference? People are human. We eat, and sleep, and have families, or not. We enjoy music, films, books, sports and so forth... and languages are important. Language is part of culture, a major part to describe events and emotions.

The French language is no longer that important in the scheme of things, and that is truly bothersome.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
France and Quebec are of the same ilk even if they cannot understand each other. And the Quebecois, specifically the separatists, mourn the loss on the Plains of Abraham (also known as the Battle of Quebec, of the Seven years War) in a victorious way.

Anything I've ever read of the Seige of Quebec says that the French wouldn't send reinforcements to help the habitant fight the English. If they had we might all be speaking French today.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French didn't consider New France a very strategic asset. The French Queen actually replied "Good, now my husband can sleep." when she learned the British won.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French seldom considered any country or person worthy other than themselves. Not all, but those whom you mentioned.

Of course, England was once ruled by the French and there were attempts to combine the nations, more than once. But who would have ruled? Would the new nation have been bilingual?

It takes a brave person, leaders, societies to come to the conclusion they lost to a better culture (which includes language) and perhaps it is better to join them. If they allowed their language and culture to continue why push it? There are Ukrainian, Polish, Russian, Macedonian, Greek, Indian Canadians and so on... and they seem to be reasonably content, but not the Quebecois. They keep pushing the envelope.

Will they ever be satisfied?

Jump to: