Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Nine More Conservative Senators Appointed Reply with quote

While its not official this list thus far is rumoured to be:

Quote:
Former NHL coach Jacques Demers, who in 2005 revealed he had hidden his struggle with illiteracy, will be among Senate appointees announced Thursday.

Quote:
Other rumoured Senate appointees include Doug Finley, the main strategist for the Conservatives through four general elections, and Carolyn Stewart-Olsen, a senior adviser to Harper for about seven years.

Don Plett, the current president of the Conservative party, is also expected to accept an appointment.

Also a great quote from Stephen Harper

Quote:
"Iím willing to appoint elected senators, but so far only one province has held an election and thatís Alberta," Harper said in Quebec.

"Until senators are elected, this government will ensure that we have in the Senate people who will work hard and will support the elected government of this country. And that includes passing our anti-crime legislation and passing our democratic reforms which have been blocked in the Senate.Ē

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story.....arper.html
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Breakdown of the Senate assuming that all nine new Senators are Conservatives will be:

Liberal Party of Canada: 53
Conservative Party of Canada: 46
Progressive Conservative Party of Canada: 2
Independent Liberal: 1
Independent: 3
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda Frum was a bit of a surprise.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Liberals are watching that number and sweating - once the numbers are even, they'll have two choices: allow our legislation to pass, or actually vote it down in the House of Commons and face their constituents.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got back from work and read about this , its all good news i think and the 9 new senators will be useful in the senate and include some quality talent . although i think its odd how much attention the hockey coach is geting as some of the others are much more well known in politics .
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://canadiancynic.blogspot......-blog.html

Please note that I am the "Stupid Blogging Tory" in question

I don't know if I should feel upset or proud...

I stand by my post by the way. Good for PMSH!
teenagetory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please note that I am the "Stupid Blogging Tory" in question

I don't know if I should feel upset or proud...

I would say proud. Canadian Cynic bashing you is about equivalent to getting an attaboy from someone on the forum . . . except we are a bit more articulate.

On the other hand I think Harper technically did lie, but its clear to any non-leftards (even the CBC gave Harper a pass on this one) that he is doing it for purely Machiavellian (did i spell that right?) reasons. Appointing Senators to push through his agenda for elected Senators
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper used to (with good reason) criticize the Liberals for these patronage appointments.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Many of the appointments have no association with the CPC. In fact, Pamela Wallen???? I highly doubt she has ever voted Conservative. Does the left expect us to appoint left wingers?
DavidK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
Harper used to (with good reason) criticize the Liberals for these patronage appointments.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

CTV's Marcia Macmillan to Susan Smith, Liberal Strategist: "What would the Liberals do differently?" (re appointing Senators) Susan couldn't answer, Tim Powers just laughed at that one!

Look, facts are facts. The Liberals are blocking legislation at every turn, regardless of what it is. Senate Reform, Accountability, Sentencing... What choice did the PM have?
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
I don't get it. Many of the appointments have no association with the CPC. In fact, Pamela Wallen???? I highly doubt she has ever voted Conservative. Does the left expect us to appoint left wingers?

At least half of them have very close association with the CPC. This is really no better than the Liberals.
gc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
CTV's Marcia Macmillan to Susan Smith, Liberal Strategist: "What would the Liberals do differently?" (re appointing Senators) Susan couldn't answer, Tim Powers just laughed at that one!

Like I said, two wrongs don't make a right.
I didn't like it when the Liberals made patronage appointments, and I don't like it now that the Conservatives are making patronage appointments.
Apparently some people don't like it when the Liberals make patronage appointments but don't mind when the Conservatives do it.
DavidK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
DavidK wrote:

Like I said, two wrongs don't make a right.
I didn't like it when the Liberals made patronage appointments, and I don't like it now that the Conservatives are making patronage appointments.
Apparently some people don't like it when the Liberals make patronage appointments but don't mind when the Conservatives do it.

Maybe that's because the Liberals don't have a goal for Senate reform?
RedCloudWulf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Senate appointments Reply with quote

Well maybe now the Liberals will stop resisting Senate reform which they still do as of this posting.The hypocrisy is ridiculous and had the liberals supported harpers call for senate reform YEARS ago ,then they wouldnt be whining now.But no they had to be liberal partisans and block it just because the idea came from the conservative camp and they had a majority in the Senate.So they can take their whining elsewhere because this canuck isnt impressed with the way they are acting.Lets see 10 years of fleecing Canadians,well 10 years out of power should be a good punishment.So thats about 6 more years to go.Then ill review them again.
The Liberal party of Canada are the ones on probation,as far as im concerned,while i keep an eye on the Conservatives as well.
gc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
Maybe that's because the Liberals don't have a goal for Senate reform?
Apparently the Conservatives' idea of reform is to change it from a chamber full of unelected Liberal hacks to a chamber full of unelected Conservative hacks.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

Jump to: