Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Congratulations, Aussies! Reply with quote

The Austrailian Senate has shelved cap and trade:
The BBC wrote:
The Australian parliament has rejected government plans to introduce an ambitious carbon trading scheme to tackle global warming.

The measure was the centrepiece of the government's environment plans, and would have cut greenhouse gas emissions by 5% over the next 10 years.

But opposition senators who control the upper house feared the legislation would harm the country's mining sector.

The government can re-introduce the legislation after three months.

Climate Change Minister Penny Wong confirmed after the Senate defeat by 42 votes to 30 that the government would seek to do this.

However, if the government is defeated again it could trigger a general election.

Business groups said the scheme would delay economic recovery and lead to job losses. The environmental lobby, meanwhile, believed that the targets set by the legislation were not tough enough.

Here's hoping North American politicians of all political stripes will learn from their fine example.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Climate change, as an issue that can move votes, appears dead pretty much worldwide. This is good news indeed. Still a lot of anti-science diehards though, refusing to accept the evidence of their own senses coupled with the latest research findings.

The earth has moved into a cooling phase, that is a plain and simple fact. CO2 had nothing to do with it, man had nothing to do with it, it was just time for the earth to cool. And there is nothing we can do to stop it, slow it down, or speed it up.

PS. No news about an ice free Arctic for a few months. To all of you Blogging Tories who were so wrong, just a few short months ago :twisted: ha ha!
chrisreid

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Congratulations, Aussies! Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
The Austrailian Senate has shelved cap and trade:
The BBC wrote:
The Australian parliament has rejected government plans to introduce an ambitious carbon trading scheme to tackle global warming.

The measure was the centrepiece of the government's environment plans, and would have cut greenhouse gas emissions by 5% over the next 10 years.

But opposition senators who control the upper house feared the legislation would harm the country's mining sector.

The government can re-introduce the legislation after three months.

Climate Change Minister Penny Wong confirmed after the Senate defeat by 42 votes to 30 that the government would seek to do this.

However, if the government is defeated again it could trigger a general election.

Business groups said the scheme would delay economic recovery and lead to job losses. The environmental lobby, meanwhile, believed that the targets set by the legislation were not tough enough.

Here's hoping North American politicians of all political stripes will learn from their fine example.

I have to say, I was quite intrigued following the MMGW debate down here, as I thought the ETS was a shoe in. Thank God for an elected Senate that brought some common sense to the debate.

I'm very happy that this bill has been defeated, as it would have cost taxpayers down here dearly...
teenagetory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, Chris is in Australia?
chrisreid

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teenagetory wrote:
Wait, Chris is in Australia?

Yes... doesn't it say "Melbourne, Australia" under my name when I comment? :P
teenagetory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i just never look over at those things. I kind of figured you were still living in the People's Republic of Toronto. Guess you wised up and left eh? :D

Jump to: