Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Stephane Dion is a French citizen? Reply with quote

Selon Paul Wells, Monsieur Dion est un citoyen de la Republique Francaise ainse que notre pays.

Quote:
Macleans, Sept 6/06 Wells Column: Stéphane Dion, I submit, passes the pronoun test even though he holds dual French and Canadian citizenship. Others may disagree. This is a subjective business.

Est-ce qu'on peut imaginer un candidat pour le chef de parti Conservateur avec un passport d'un autre pays, particulierement si le pays est les Etats-Unis?
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does dual citizenship mean? Does it mean that Canada is simply a hotel, a place to stay while you are away from your real home? The Bible says that a man cannot serve two masters; are Dion's loyalties divided? I would expect that anyone who wanted to lead this great country would be solely committed to it.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with duel citizenships, even among national leaders. I know (and know of) several American-Canadian, British-Canadian, SriLankan-Canadian, Dutch-Canadian and Israeli-Canadian citizens who could not be more committed to Canada.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember how nuts the media went after Tom Long during the 2000 CA leadership run when word came out that he had American/Canadian dual citizenship?
Sheldon Moore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put forward that the dual citizenship for the national leader is an issue. France is quite frequently opposed to Canada's position i.e the latest NATO summit and Dion may not be the best to offer a determined stance to the EU. The man also thinks the Kyoto process will be the salvation of the world, very dangerous for Canada should he actually ever be in charge.
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Remember how nuts the media went after Tom Long during the 2000 CA leadership run when word came out that he had American/Canadian dual citizenship?

I'm sure American-Canadians are the only people the MSM would allow us to question their loyalty to Canada. Question a French-Canadian, British-Canadian, Lebanese-Canadian, et al., then I'm sure the calls of bigotry will sound by everyone in the MSM.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

France can have him...
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or does it not seem to anyone else, that its the supreme height of hypocrisy for the leader of the LP (or any other national party) to hold the nationalistic view of Canada as a singlular entity and deny Quebecers the recognition many of them desire as a "nation", while at the same time being a citizen of another country? Dual citizenship is not acceptable to me, especially for someone holding an elected office in this country. I could never trust that they were acting in the best interests of Canada.
Glenn
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see dual citizenship as a huge issue. I have a lot of good friends with dual Cdn-US or Cdn-UK citizenships. A prominent figure has this to say:

Quote:
I wouldn't be bothered if he were British but I think there is a huge difference between having dual citizenship with Britain as opposed to France. Canadians were once British subjects, share the same Queen, once shared the same flag, we share the same system of government, membership in the Commonwealth and, since the Plains of Abraham, we have been a colony of Britain. Our nation is British in institutions and Common Law. We fought under the British in several wars. Our GG represents the Queen. Whose picture is on our currency? France is nothing to us and more often than not is opposed to our interests. Doesn’t anyone remember DeGaulle trying to destroy Canada?

... I can't believe I just agreed with Jack Layton. :shock:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
I don't see dual citizenship as a huge issue. I have a lot of good friends with dual Cdn-US or Cdn-UK citizenships. A prominent figure has this to say:

Quote:
I wouldn't be bothered if he were British but I think there is a huge difference between having dual citizenship with Britain as opposed to France. Canadians were once British subjects, share the same Queen, once shared the same flag, we share the same system of government, membership in the Commonwealth and, since the Plains of Abraham, we have been a colony of Britain. Our nation is British in institutions and Common Law. We fought under the British in several wars. Our GG represents the Queen. Whose picture is on our currency? France is nothing to us and more often than not is opposed to our interests. Doesn’t anyone remember DeGaulle trying to destroy Canada?

... I can't believe I just agreed with Jack Layton. :shock:

Many can hold dual citizenships. But with respect to M. Dione it is a matter of loyalty and hypocrisy
Buddy Kat

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neocon tactic 5543-g
If you can't attack the policy you attack the person. It happened with Chretian when the neocon went after his birth defect...now it's happening to Stephane ...going after where his mother was born.

How lame if that is the best you can up with...We already know The neocons ATTRACT racists sexists and bigots bigtime ...is this really the best you can do.

All the liberals would have to do is make an ad showing those two examples and yer a historical artifact to be stuffed into the dark places of Harpers hind. Talk about digging a hole.
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy Kat wrote:
Neocon tactic 5543-g
If you can't attack the policy you attack the person. It happened with Chretian when the neocon went after his birth defect...now it's happening to Stephane ...going after where his mother was born.

How lame if that is the best you can up with...We already know The neocons ATTRACT racists sexists and bigots bigtime ...is this really the best you can do.

All the liberals would have to do is make an ad showing those two examples and yer a historical artifact to be stuffed into the dark places of Harpers hind. Talk about digging a hole.

Right.... :roll: I'm sure the Left Wing has never done any personal attack ads. They've never tried associating Harper with Bush at any chance they get. And I suppose they never suggested he eats babies during the election. Face it bub, personal attack ads are not a left wing/right wing issue. Its a political issue. All parties from all sides do it. Period. Get your head out of the sand.
FF_Canuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to the 'hypocrisy' point ... my own MP (CPC) is a dual Canadian-American citizen. Ted Morton, whom many were supporting for Premier of Alberta, is also a Canadian-American citizen. I'm sure there's many other MPs in the CPC with dual citizenships. If we make an issue of Dion's citizenship, we can be expect to be attacked for this...
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have to make an issue out of it. Others will do that for us.

I see the dual-citizenship issue as a matter of respect.

If you wife marries her second husband does she keep her first husbands name?

No, because it would be disrespectful towards the person she's made this committment too.

Last, what's up with this "neocon" crap? Nothing pisses me off more than people using the term "neocon" when they have no idea what it actually jmeans.

Neocons did not make fun of Chretien's face. That was done under Kim Campbells government, the Kim Campbell that endorsed the Liberals in the last election.

Furthermore, the ad in particular was approved by none other than John "Red" Tory who is about as far away from neoconservatism you can be.

FYI: in Europe "neocons" are described by a more accurate term if you're aware of the history of Neoconservatism: "Neoliberal"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 1

Jump to: