Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: The Liberals catch up... Reply with quote

I guess we knew this was going to happen sooner or later. Looks like the LPC has finally adapted to the 'new' fundraising restrictions.

Jane Taber wrote:
...Late last week, the parties posted their second-quarter fundraising results. For the first time in several years, the Liberals and the Tories are basically tied the Harper Tories raised $3.9-million; the Liberals raised $4-million. However, the Tories had 35,217 donors compared with only 19,487 for the Liberals.

The Tories won the first quarter, raising $4.3-million from 39,432 donors compared with $1.8-million from 15,230 donors for the Liberals...
LINK
The rest of the article is spin along the lines of the CPC being better at fundraising due their ability to tap in to the anger of middle-aged white guys, while the rising Liberal fortunes reflect the desire of a broad spectrum of Canadians for hope n' change :roll:

From a strictly partisan angle, this is unfortunate news. The exclusive ability to do pre-writ advertising was a great advantage.
teenagetory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course when the G&M said that the Liberals' finances were based on broader support than the Conservatives' no one in the comment section questioned that statement.

hmmm lets see
Conservative: 3.9 million from 35217 supporters= about $110 per supporter
Liberal: 4 million from 19487 supporters= about $205 per supporter

So the Liberals got about equal the money from about 1/2 the people, and we're the ones who don't have a broad base of support. I wish I knew who gave the editors at the G&M that super potent weed they've been smoking :roll:

I think all this boils down to is that the upper crust socialites believe in Iggy more than they believed in Dion and are adjusting their donations accordingly.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that the Liberals received the same amount from far fewer donors means that far more of their people have maxed out their contributions which should restrict their fundraising somewhat in subsequent quarters.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love the Grope & Maul... They're poised to take over as official mouthpeice for the Liberals should the Red Star fall...

-Mac
CPP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
Gotta love the Grope & Maul... They're poised to take over as official mouthpeice for the Liberals should the Red Star fall...

-Mac

But, didnt they back Harper during the last two federal elections :?:
eapr9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Grits catch up Reply with quote

Remember the second quarter includes the money from the grit coronation in May. That would account for a lot of the donations.
Mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPP wrote:

If you mean they published an accurate prediction that the Conservatives would win the last two elections prior to the date of the election, yes, they did so. If you mean they published numerous articles highlighting the Conservatives' successes or even produced unbiased election coverage, no, they did not.

Grits & Dippers like to point to these media election predictions as being some kind of proof of collusion or at least support on the part of the mainstream media toward the Tories. Even a few conservatives accept the leftard meme.

The only reason the MSM publish accurate election predictions is an attempt to build credibility. After all, would you take the Grope & Maul seriously if they predicted Liberal victories twice in a row and were utterly wrong? Nope... you would say they're in the tank with the Liberals and you would stop reading their nonsense. Since the media need readership in order to attract the ads which pay their bills, they can't afford to have readers rejecting them.

The only one who doesn't play that game is the Red Star whose unflagging support for the left is part of the guiding principles laid out by their founder, fully endorsed by the unions who dominate their board of directors.

-Mac
CPP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
CPP wrote:

If you mean they published an accurate prediction that the Conservatives would win the last two elections prior to the date of the election, yes, they did so. If you mean they published numerous articles highlighting the Conservatives' successes or even produced unbiased election coverage, no, they did not.

Grits & Dippers like to point to these media election predictions as being some kind of proof of collusion or at least support on the part of the mainstream media toward the Tories. Even a few conservatives accept the leftard meme.

The only reason the MSM publish accurate election predictions is an attempt to build credibility. After all, would you take the Grope & Maul seriously if they predicted Liberal victories twice in a row and were utterly wrong? Nope... you would say they're in the tank with the Liberals and you would stop reading their nonsense. Since the media need readership in order to attract the ads which pay their bills, they can't afford to have readers rejecting them.

The only one who doesn't play that game is the Red Star whose unflagging support for the left is part of the guiding principles laid out by their founder, fully endorsed by the unions who dominate their board of directors.

-Mac

The Toronto Red Star paper,as of late has been taking shots at both Iggy and his lieberal party. Perhaps, their concerned that unless the lieberals come out soon with their policies, could again lose which would be nice.
I personally prefer, the CPC left leaning policies than those of the Grits. :wink:
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Liberals can really sustain this. Since this is the first time they have launched a competent fundraising campaign, they don't have to deal with fatigue. CPC memebers have been hounded for money for years and still keep giving. I suspect the Liberals will start to drop off once they get the third phone call.
Mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPP wrote:
The Toronto Red Star paper,as of late has been taking shots at both Iggy and his lieberal party. Perhaps, their concerned that unless the lieberals come out soon with their policies, could again lose which would be nice.
I personally prefer, the CPC left leaning policies than those of the Grits. :wink:

That's why I said the Red Star's support is unflaggingly left. They're kind enough to publish their guiding principles online.

http://www.torstar.com/about_atkinson.php

If they're attacking Count Iggy, it would appear he isn't left enough for their liking.

-Mac
CPP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
CPP wrote:

That's why I said the Red Star's support is unflaggingly left. They're kind enough to publish their guiding principles online.

http://www.torstar.com/about_atkinson.php

If they're attacking Count Iggy, it would appear he isn't left enough for their liking.

-Mac

That could almost pass as the present CPC doctrine with its auto and soft wood company bailouts plus its very generous federal transfer payments to Quebec. :wink:
Mac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CPP wrote:
That could almost pass as the present CPC doctrine with its auto and soft wood company bailouts plus its very generous federal transfer payments to Quebec. :wink:

I know... Sickening, isn't it?

Hopefully, the current budgets are aberrations caused by the minority government and the state of the economy. If this is their SOP, the Conservatives will become a hollow shell as fiscal conservatives walk away from the party.

-Mac
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the liberals numbers may seem impressive to some but keep in mind they had a convention in that quarter and i believe under the new rules alot of the money for that would be part of this $ 4 million . and many of there big donors are likely allready maxed out for the 2009 calendar year .

plus keep in mind there spending limits for an election campaign or by-election anyways so the liberals if they were to raise more couldn't do what obama did and basically buy the election , there limited to spending $ 20 million nationwide and then each riding has a limit of something like $ 70,000 usually .
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

plus keep in mind there spending limits for an election campaign or by-election anyways so the liberals if they were to raise more couldn't do what obama did and basically buy the election , there limited to spending $ 20 million nationwide and then each riding has a limit of something like $ 70,000 usually .

The Liberals will never outraise the CPC.
BTW, I rather liked what Obama did. Even when he had clearly won, he burned through all that cash that could have been used in a tighter race when he couldn't raise as much (like say, 2012). Looking at Obama's falling approval numbers, I bet he wishes he hadn't spent that money next time around[/quote]
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eapr9 wrote:
Remember the second quarter includes the money from the grit coronation in May. That would account for a lot of the donations.

Craig wrote:
The fact that the Liberals received the same amount from far fewer donors means that far more of their people have maxed out their contributions which should restrict their fundraising somewhat in subsequent quarters.

I knew I was missing some angles on this. Thanks, guys. I don't know what the delegate fees were to the Liberal convention, but that will certainly limit well-heeled supporters in the 3rd quarter.

Jump to: