Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Kings (TV Series) Reply with quote

Kings is a television drama series airing on NBC and Citytv, based on the Biblical story of King David in a kingdom that culturally and technologically resembles the present-day United States.

Advance showings received mostly positive critical reviews. The March 15, 2009 premiere placed 4th in network television ratings for that evening, with 6.07 million viewers (1.6 rating / 4 share in the 18-49 demographic). After only four episodes on the air, however, NBC announced it was pulling the series from its Sunday slot. The network initially scheduled the remaining eight episodes to air Saturdays, but after only one Saturday airing, pulled the program until summer.

Plot
Kings is set in the Kingdom of Gilboa, which technologically and culturally resembles the present-day United States; the government, however, is an absolute monarchy. Gilboa is ruled by King Silas Benjamin, who originally formed the united kingdom two decades prior from the three warring countries of Gilboa, Carmel, and Selah. He believes his power to be divine, often citing a day when a swarm of butterflies once landed on his head in the form of "a living crown" which called upon him to form the kingdom.

All is not well for Silas: his policies and actions are being manipulated by his Queen's brother, William Cross, who holds substantial control over the royal treasury and also appears to be the major stakeholder as CEO/Chairman of Crossgen (which appears to have a large stake in the economy of Gilboa); his heir, Prince Jack, is a closeted homosexual, which could undermine the royal family; and Silas himself has a secret mistress, as well as a young son with her. He ostensibly abandons his covert family because he believes it is the cost (or sacrifice) that God requires of him to save his illegitimate son from an illness.

Events of the series are set into motion when young David Shepherd, a Gilboan soldier in a war against the Republic of Gath, single-handedly rescues a captive soldier from behind enemy lines, and destroys a "Goliath-Class" tank with an anti-tank missile. The captive soldier is Prince Jack, and David not only becomes an instant star in the national media, but also earns the gratitude of King Silas, much to the chagrin of the Prince.

King Silas brings David into the capital city of Shiloh where he is promoted to Captain and then maneuvered into the plum position of military liaison to the media. He soon finds himself in the midst of royal court politics with little initial awareness of the forces acting behind them. He also develops feelings for Silas's daughter, Princess Michelle, which she privately reciprocates.

In the pilot episode, David, much like Silas years before, is set upon by a living "crown" of butterflies, as Silas witnesses the event from a discreet distance. Silas has already been told that God no longer supports his reign, and this then implies that David is the divine choice as his successor. This troubles the King so much that he initially plots to have David killed. Silas, however, soon comes to interpret the reappearance of the butterflies as an omen that David is meant to serve him, and young David accepts this, thereby being drawn deeper into the court.

I'm just now watching this show. The last episode it seems. I was just curious if anyone had seen this show? I can't wait until it comes out on DVD this fall.
JDot

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a bad show(I watched all the eps), but NBC butcherd it. It should have been a HBO show.

Let's just say it was never able to get it legs, but then again it was on NBC...

Frankly as a "CHUCK" fan(only show on network TV that pictures Regan in a some what good light). I was glad it failed...

Go "Chuck", season 3 on the way.. 8)
Bleatmop

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the show. I only got to see about 3 episodes though. I am planning on getting it on dvd too. I think that's really the best way to watch tv now. No commercials, watch at your own pace, ect.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't even get to watch this show. It seems interesting.
yoshi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be watching the season finally on rogers on demand tonight.

I find it captivating and entertaining. Perhaps i will say more after the show....
popcorn almost ready :)

Jump to: