Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Anti-theists trying to disenfranchise people of faith. Reply with quote

I am struck lately by the retrograde and reactionary attitudes of today's atheists, or more accurately, Anti-theists. The argument boils down to, if you are religious, you cannot hold high public office. How long before this becomes you cannot hold office period, or you cannot vote? How long before it becomes you cannot own property, or go to school? I find it very disturbing.

Anti-theism is a religion, which it seems a lot of atheists are joining these days.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. But as of right now, they only seem to be attacking the Christians and to a lesser extent the Jewish citizens of our society. These people practice “moderation” and “progress”, however if you disagree with them on anything (not only religion), then they will try and silence you. It started out in our collages and university, but now it is making its way onto the general society as a whole.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Anti-theists trying to disenfranchise people of faith. Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
The argument boils down to, if you are religious, you cannot hold high public office.

Come on, how many Prime Ministers have we had that are not religious? How many Presidents were not religious?
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-theists trying to disenfranchise people of faith. Reply with quote

gc wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:
The argument boils down to, if you are religious, you cannot hold high public office.

Come on, how many Prime Ministers have we had that are not religious? How many Presidents were not religious?

Most people are not sooooo slow as they can't see the end game before it happens.
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frank wrote:
Quote:
It started out in our collages and university, but now it is making its way onto the general society as a whole.

South park episode with the hippy festival...

Hippie: "no, you just don't understand, because you have not been to collage yet"
Forward

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-theists trying to disenfranchise people of faith. Reply with quote

gc wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:

Why don't you tell us?
Cronus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a great deal of hatred expressed on-line in the wake of the Gary Goodyear comments. Many leftists have a real hate for religion in general, and Christianity in particular. The Christians I remember from my church-going days were generous and accepting people. Nothing like the cariactures which dominate the media.
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Lot of young atheists are total jerks when it comes to accepting others relgions, when they are called the progressive ones :roll: but in reality they are the ones who crowned themselves "progressive" so what do I expect.
Libertas

votes: 6

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read through this thread and felt like making a few comments.

Quote:
You are right. But as of right now, they only seem to be attacking the Christians and to a lesser extent the Jewish citizens of our society. These people practice “moderation” and “progress”, however if you disagree with them on anything (not only religion), then they will try and silence you. It started out in our collages and university, but now it is making its way onto the general society as a whole.

Are you certain?

Sam Harris, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Geert Wilders, Christopher Hitchens, Ibn Warraq, and Richard Dawkins, have not made any criticisms of Islam?

Might I remind you that Theo Van Gogh lost his life due to his criticism of creeping theocracy in the Netherlands.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/ent.....975211.stm

I'll be quite honest, atheists have many times been involved in idiotic causes. However it seems to me that many prominent atheists have become prominent defenders of western civilization and basic tenants of it.

I'll point you to Richard Dawkins documentary "The Enemies of Reason." He makes good points about the dangers of postmodernism relativism. This sounds like a rant coming from a conservative. I find absolutely nothing wrong with my worldview. I'm quite openly an atheist, I can't disprove God, but I doubt superstition and the claims of all the religions and their doctrines.

Go to 3:40, pay special attention to his debate with the sociology professor.

Link
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-theists trying to disenfranchise people of faith. Reply with quote

gc wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:

[/quote]
Probably a lot more than you think. SAYING you are a Christian is almost a requirement for most high offices (prez, VP, senator).

On the other hand, look at the behavior of many people who have gotten into public office....many of them do not behave as if they were religious. The people who pretended to be the most religious were often the worst offenders.

One could even argue that being a Christian and a politician are mutally exclusive :-)
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cronus wrote:
There was a great deal of hatred expressed on-line in the wake of the Gary Goodyear comments. Many leftists have a real hate for religion in general, and Christianity in particular. The Christians I remember from my church-going days were generous and accepting people. Nothing like the cariactures which dominate the media.

I think this is part of the problem. For the generation that has spent little time in church, all they have to judge Christianity by are the televangelists and the exteremists that make the news.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
collage

College?
paisley_cross

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-theists trying to disenfranchise people of faith. Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
I am struck lately by the retrograde and reactionary attitudes of today's atheists, or more accurately, Anti-theists. The argument boils down to, if you are religious, you cannot hold high public office. How long before this becomes you cannot hold office period, or you cannot vote? How long before it becomes you cannot own property, or go to school? I find it very disturbing.

Anti-theism is a religion, which it seems a lot of atheists are joining these days.

Any negative reaction may relate to the extent to which the person makes religion a public issue. I always thought it was a mistake for Stockwell Day to go on the tube and talk about religion - it lost him votes. Harper has been a lot cagier. We all know he goes to church but he keeps his religious beliefs private - and even the Liberals who tried to smear him with wafergate failed.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-theists trying to disenfranchise people of faith. Reply with quote

fiscalconservative wrote:
One could even argue that being a Christian and a politician are mutally exclusive :-)

Only if the individual adhered to the Ten Commandments... :wink:

-Mac

Jump to: