Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: The American's new strategy in Afghanistan Reply with quote

A perspective from an American veteran and blogger of the WoT:

Quote:
There are signs that our military leaders have learned lessons from both our 7 years of operations in Afghanistan and our successes in Iraq. They have begun a major shift in strategy and tactics to reflect that. We have discussed some aspects of it here including the decision announced to limit bombing of residential dwellings even if we are receiving fire from them. While this decision may seem counter-intuitive at first. when examined in the framework of a larger shift toward safeguarding populations v. killing bad guys it becomes very understandable...

RTWT, as they say.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit when I heard the Americans were rolling in a surge force, my first thought wasn't a charitable one.... and it involved protecting our guys from friendly fire incidents... Let's hope the "new" attitude works out well...

-Mac
fiscalconservative

Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9Reputation: 49.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
I must admit when I heard the Americans were rolling in a surge force, my first thought wasn't a charitable one.... and it involved protecting our guys from friendly fire incidents... Let's hope the "new" attitude works out well...

-Mac

I am just glad they are finally doing something about Afganistan/Pakistan after ingoring those places all those years
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place is called the "graveyard of empires" for a very good reason. The Pashtuns have a tradition of having defeated larger more well equipped armies with sheer willpower, something that most western countries (and increasingly America since Vietnam) have been lacking.

I'm definitely not intending to beat up on our guys but the Taliban definitely have more willpower than the militaries and the public of western countries. Our guys go over there to fight for 90 days and then come back home for a little break while the Taliban are hypothetically always on the battlefield, yet they still haven't given up. Additionally, these guys are willing to blow themselves up, something that is still hard for us to fathom.
I'm hoping that Canada sends C-F 18s to Afghanistan well after the mission is over in 2011. It is the only advantage that western forces have. The taliban have IEDs, we have F-18s.

Jump to: