Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teenagetory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Christine Elliot Reply with quote

I generally pride myself on knowing who everybody is in politics, especially Conservative politics. Unfortunatley because I reside outside of Ontario as well as having academic and athletic commitments that leave me with virtually no free ime in the months of may and june, I havent really followed the Ontario PC leadership race.

I've found that many of the members on this board have expressed a dislike towards Christine Elliot. I know nothing about her other than the fact that she's Flaherty's wife and she's advocating a flat tax. Could anyone tell me what the fuss is about?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She opposes reforming the HRCs
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does she?

From what I understand she`s opposed to scrapping them (which Randy and Hudak have said they`d do) and instead wants to reform them.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's positioned herself as a red "john" tory. Whether she's really a red tory or not is hard to tell. On fiscal matters, she seems to be inline with Flaherty. On social matters, in line with McGuinty.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think she`s the default `red tory`candidate. I wouldn`t classify her as a true red tory but I think she tried to appeal to them because she realized that none of the other candidates would be trying for their support.
TorontoCon

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any fiscally AND socially conservative candidates?
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
does she?

From what I understand she`s opposed to scrapping them (which Randy and Hudak have said they`d do) and instead wants to reform them.

From what I understand she considers it a toxic issue and doesn't want to go near it.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it broke down like this: Hillier wants to scrap it, Hudak wants to reform it, and Elliot and Klees don't want to touch it for fear of a 'religous school' controversy.
Mattman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Cool Blue wrote:
does she?

From what I understand she considers it a toxic issue and doesn't want to go near it.

Most people support human rights.
They want the government to support human rights too.
They don't know of the problems with HRC, if they think they're problems at all.

I think whoever tackles it needs to do it VERY carefully, and it might be better to not focus on it now, and instead start educating people on the problems so there is broader support for any changes.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who wants a party leader ruled by fear?
Craig
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattman wrote:
it might be better to not focus on it now, and instead start educating people on the problems so there is broader support for any changes.

When? These issues have been in the news lots recently. Better to strike now while the iron is hot. These issues will fade away once the media gets tired of covering them....
Northern Ontario Tory

Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4
votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
I thought it broke down like this: Hillier wants to scrap it, Hudak wants to reform it, and Elliot and Klees don't want to touch it for fear of a 'religous school' controversy.

I believe that is an accurate summary.

It is one of the reasons I left Elliott and Klees off my ballot completely. If you are afraid of taking a position on something because of what your opponent might do you have made the wrong choice of careers ....... go be a friggin' lifeguard or something! Besides, it doesn't matter what our policies are, the opposition will try and paint us as nasty SOBs who want to close hospitals & schools in order to give tax cuts to the "wealthy"!!!! Elliott in particular really pissed me off with this fear tactic. Immediately after her flat tax proposal the opposition started screaming that we would have to close hospitals & schools in order to fund this multi-billion dollar tax cut. It was a golden opportunity to hammer the Liberals by pointing out that it could easily have been phased over several years with the annual economic growth of the province ....... point out how many BILLIONS of dollars more there is in the provincial budget and ask where that went, and why we are suffering so much now. It wasn't long ago that the Liberals were spending the surplus instead of paying down debt and preparing for the future.

Jump to: