Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Manitoba MP Inky Mark to retire Reply with quote

Manitoba MP calling it a career
By: Mia Rabson

23/06/2009 7:56 AM | Comments: 3
Print E–mail Share ThisOTTAWA -- Conservative MP Inky Mark announced this morning he is retiring from politics. Mark, 61, has been the MP for Dauphin-

Swan River-Marquette since 1997.

Enlarge Image

Inky Mark (CANADIAN PRESS ARCHIVES)
In a press release today he said he is stepping down to focus on his family, including his two grandsons and his wife, Lynda.

He will remain as the MP until the next general election.

Mark has been known as a bit of a maverick in politics, choosing not to side with his caucus if he felt the party position was wrong. In 2006 for example, he refused to vote to give Quebec status as a "nation" within Canada.

He was first elected as a Reform Party MP but in 2001 left the caucus with a group of other MPs who opposed the leadership of Stockwell Day. He was the only one not to return to the caucus, and instead joined the Progressive Conservatives.

In the last year he has been virtually silent as an MP. He has not risen to his feet in the House of Commons since May 2008. In the most recent session, which began in January, he didn't speak once.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.c.....69272.html
teenagetory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he won the seat by like 61% compared to like 15% for his nearest competitor so I think this on won't be an issue.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teenagetory wrote:
Well he won the seat by like 61% compared to like 15% for his nearest competitor so I think this on won't be an issue.

yes the seat it self is a pretty solid conservative riding , i believe the reason he is leaving is health problems although he's staying till the next election so there will be no by-election here but the conservatives will be looking for a new candidate sooner than later . and should be able to find a pretty good one considering the ridings conservative history .
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
teenagetory wrote:

yes the seat it self is a pretty solid conservative riding , i believe the reason he is leaving is health problems although he's staying till the next election so there will be no by-election here but the conservatives will be looking for a new candidate sooner than later . and should be able to find a pretty good one considering the ridings conservative history .

This is very similar to the history of my own riding (Wildrose), where Myron Thompson announced his retirement pending an election. The nomination contest was arguably more hotly contested than the election itself. Mind you, we managed to improve on Myron's old record by 0.2% (70.3%) in the campaign.

Jump to: