Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Ont. PC candidate denies making policy on the fly Reply with quote

Ont. PC candidate denies making policy on the fly
Updated: Tue May. 26 2009 1:59:54 PM

ctvtoronto.ca

TORONTO ó Ontario Progressive Conservative leadership hopeful Randy Hillier denied he was making up policy on the fly Tuesday after he vowed to abolish the harmonized sales tax set to take effect next year.

The merger of the eight per cent Ontario sales tax with the five per cent goods and services tax into a single 13 per cent tax is scheduled to go into effect July 1, 2010, and will apply to many goods and services that are currently exempt from the PST.

Less than a week ago, at the first debate between the four candidates to replace John Tory as PC leader, Hillier said he would trim the PST portion of the HST to five per cent if he wins the leadership and becomes premier.

Hillier's position changed abruptly Tuesday after Finance Minister Dwight Duncan taunted him in the legislature by saying none of the Tory leadership candidates had said they would undo the HST, despite their non-stop attacks on the plan.

"Unlike the other side, I do answer questions," Hillier said.

"I would repeal the HST."

That prompted an uproar in the chamber and a long delay in proceedings, but Hillier still had the floor once things settled down again.

"And I'll remind you that I don't break my promises either," he said to howls of support from the Opposition benches.

Hillier, a self-described "dark horse" candidate, has been announcing more new policies than his rivals and helping set the party's agenda in the process, as other candidates try to secure the second-choice vote of Hillier's supporters on the preferential ballots that will be used to pick a new leader.

One of the perceived front-runners, Tim Hukak, was quick to adopt Hillier's call to abolish the Ontario Human Rights Commission, which had originally been set up by the Conservatives.

Duncan said he couldn't wait to see if Hillier's rivals jump on the new position on the HST, and predicted it could lead to a family fight between Christine Elliott and her husband, federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty.

"What about Christine Elliott? That'll be an interesting discussion to see," Duncan told the legislature.

"I wonder if she'll change her position, and I wonder if there'll be an internal debate not only within the party, but within the family on that particular issue."

Duncan and Flaherty hammered out the surprise deal to blend Ontario's sales tax with the five per cent GST, but Elliott has made it clear she has no problem holding different positions than her husband.

Outside the legislature, Duncan said it was clear he had prodded his Conservative colleague into a flip-flop.

"He's making it up on the fly," Duncan charged.

"He said one thing last week and we'll see what he says next week."

Hillier denied he was making up policy on the go, and called on the Liberal government to delay implementation of the HST until after the 2011 Ontario election.

"Why don't we make that an election subject, put it in front of people and see if they'll reject it?" he said.

"Defer it for one more year. That's a sensible and reasonable thing to do."

Sales tax harmonization was something the Ontario Progressive Conservatives once supported, but they now say it amounts to a massive tax hike at the wrong time.

About 40,000 party members will be eligible to cast ballots June 21 and 25, with the winner being announced at a convention in Markham on July 27.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/.....ntoNewHome
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well not that i disagree that scrapping the hst is a great idea , it just isn't a good idea to pull the idea out of nowhere .
although i think ontarian's might be geting confused by this whole HST debate and who is on what side . and having flaherty support it and elliott his wife oppose it is really going to confused the hell out of people .
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this article is accurate and suspect it may be biased against the PCs:

1) I don't believe that Hillier ever had cutting the PST as his policy. He promised to scrap the HST. During the debates a few days ago Klees became the first candidate to say he'd cut the PST instead of scrapping it.

2) As far as I'm aware the PCs were never pro-harmonization. In fact, during the Harris years Chretien pushed hard for harmonization and Harris refused repeatedly.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am past the point where I buy into the scraping of the HST is realistic.

What will the cost be to business to put this change into effect, and then two years later to go back to the way it was?

Once the HST is in place, its here to stay.

Klees seems to be the only one who has accepted the reality that we should all know is the truth.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

What will the cost be to business to put this change into effect, and then two years later to go back to the way it was?

Klees seems to be the only one who has accepted the reality that we should all know is the truth.

We have just over 13 months to stop this. Today, people who pre-paid for their funeral will have to pay an additional 7% tax if they donít die before July 1, 2010.

So the moral of the story is, if you donít want to pay the HST, you better die before July 1, 2010.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

We have just over 13 months to stop this. Today, people who pre-paid for their funeral will have to pay an additional 7% tax if they donít die before July 1, 2010.

So the moral of the story is, if you donít want to pay the HST, you better die before July 1, 2010.

But we won't stop it.
The next election is October 2011 and till then we have a Liberal Majority that can pass anything they want and will.

They have shown no indication they would even consider stopping the HST or delaying it. By the time we get into power in 2011 we will be faced with the option of reversing the HST which will have been in place for almost a year and a half and it will be a tax that business has already paid to implement.

I hate the concept of the HST without a PST reduction because its a cash grab, but the fundamental concept of the HST is not a bad idea.

We need to stop wasting our time fighting a tax that we cannot stop because we don't have the means to stop it and focus on making it less painful by offering the citizens a 3% reduction in PST to have a 10% HST in Ontario.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
We need to stop wasting our time fighting a tax that we cannot stop because we don't have the means to stop it and focus on making it less painful by offering the citizens a 3% reduction in PST to have a 10% HST in Ontario.

I'm not from Ontario, but this really does seem like the best way forward. The Liberals would be wise to cut consumption taxes if they're serious about the recession anyways.

Jump to: