Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Ontario PC leadership debates Reply with quote

Leadership Debates
The Ontario PC Party will be hosting four candidate debates. In addition, TV Ontario will be airing a televised debate on 'The Agenda' with Steve Paikin on Thursday, June 18th at 8pm.

Debate tickets are ten dollars and will be selected by random draw. You may request up to four tickets by calling the Leadership Hotline at 1.866.257.4499 extension 258 or fax 416.861.9593. You can also submit your request to info@ontariopc.net or online by clicking here. Please provide your name, address, phone number and email address along with your request.

If your name is drawn, you will be contacted and will have 24 hours to confirm your attendance. Please note tickets are not guaranteed. Payment will be accepted at the debate location only.

Plan to attend one of the Leadership debates:

LONDON
Thursday, May 21st - 7:30pm
University of Western Ontario
Labatt Health Sciences Building
Room 40
(ticket requests must be received
by noon on May 19th)

SUDBURY
Wednesday, May 27th - 7:30pm
Sudbury Holiday Inn
1696 Regent Street
by noon on May 25th)

MARKHAM
Thursday, June 4th - 7:30pm
Seneca College,
Markham Campus
8 The Seneca Way
(Highway 7 and 404)
by noon on June 2nd)

OTTAWA
Thursday, June 10th - 7:30pm
University of Ottawa
Marion Building
140 Louis Pasteur
by noon on June 8th)
RCO

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the debates all sound good , but does something sound a little odd when we have to put in a ticket request to attend one ? and that we may not even get picked to attend even if we make a request . that part strikes me as a little odd as i think these debates are an opurtunity for the party to attract new members and get press . it seems we are trying to keep them closed to outsiders and people who aren't part of the party elite .
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
the debates all sound good , but does something sound a little odd when we have to put in a ticket request to attend one ? and that we may not even get picked to attend even if we make a request . that part strikes me as a little odd as i think these debates are an opurtunity for the party to attract new members and get press . it seems we are trying to keep them closed to outsiders and people who aren't part of the party elite .

We have to remember that these spaces are limited.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
RCO wrote:

yeah but they could of had them somewhere bigger , way i look at it . this party is in opposition and facing an uphill battle and needs all the press it can get at the moment . it needs to reach out to ontarians and having some open public debates be a good first start . and if each one of them gains us a some new members and supporters were better off in the long run .
nathaliejcaron

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up about reserving, I really want to attend the one in Ottawa but didn't realize tickets were needed and drawn for.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
SFrank85 wrote:
RCO wrote:

yeah but they could of had them somewhere bigger , way i look at it . this party is in opposition and facing an uphill battle and needs all the press it can get at the moment . it needs to reach out to ontarians and having some open public debates be a good first start . and if each one of them gains us a some new members and supporters were better off in the long run .

I agree. Also nothing in Toronto! They could have held one at Convocation Hall at the University of Toronto.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario Tory leadership debate stays on message

Candidates focus on issues rather than personal attacks

By Lee Greenberg, The Ottawa CitizenMay 22, 2009

A political debate that threatened to get nasty exposed very few rifts among the four candidates aiming to become the next leader of Ontario's Progressive Conservative Party.

The four candidates --Christine Elliott, Randy Hillier, Frank Klees and Tim Hudak -- all railed against the same topics: the handling of the native land dispute in Caledonia by Dalton McGuinty's Liberal government, their own party's would-be policy to fund religious schools and the need for lower taxes and smaller government.

On Wednesday, Christine Elliott -- wife of federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty -- lobbed a verbal grenade into what had been a relatively tame campaign, equating Hudak and Hillier's plan to scrap Ontario's Human Rights Tribunal to the party's disastrous 2007 plan to fund religious schools.

That proposal single-handedly sunk the Tories' election hopes, causing even dyed-in-the-wool members to stay at home rather than vote.

She did not repeat that attack Thursday, but instead focused on outlining her centrist message of tolerance and inclusion.

"Compassion is a large part of our legacy and we should be celebrating it," she said, stressing the need to grow the party by appealing to women and new Canadians.

"I don't think we need to choose between being conservatives and winning the next election," said Hudak, who has portrayed himself as a champion of middle-class values.

About 400 party members took in the debate at the University of Western Ontario in London -- the first of four sanctioned by the party.

Hillier, a rural libertarian from Eastern Ontario, garnered there most attention from his fellow candidates. All three of them at one point said they agreed with his position on issues, including property rights, the rule of law and less government regulation.

The candidates' genial demeanour exposed no hint of the rift opened one day earlier, when Elliott chastised Hudak for his poor judgment. She called his promise to scrap the province's Human Rights Tribunal "a gift to the Liberals, one they would exploit as ruthlessly as they did with faith-based funding."

Insiders say Hudak's plan -- he adopted the policy only after Hillier introduced it early in the campaign -- was designed to pull support from Hillier.

Those in Hudak's camp were taken aback by Elliott's attack and portrayed it both as desperate and dangerous for the party. Hudak entered the race as the supposed front-runner, endorsed by former premier Mike Harris, the last Progressive Conservative leader to win a majority at Queen's Park.

But he is perceived to have slipped lately amid reports of low membership sales and sagging donations.

The party, meanwhile, is not prospering as they seek a new leader. Only 44,000 memberships have been sold, far below the 61,000 sold when John Tory was elected leader in 2004.

Hudak declined to condemn Elliott's tactics Thursday. Instead, he spoke about former U.S. president Ronald Reagan's so-called 11th commandment -- "thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican."

He said party unity was "job one" for the party's next leader.

"As the first course of business on June 28 (the day after the new leader is crowned), our next leader must be able to unify this great and historic party," he said.

Conservative party members will cast their votes June 21 or June 25 in a preferential ballot that asks them to rank candidates in order. Unless one of them captures more than 50 per cent support, the last-place candidate is eliminated and his or her support is distributed elsewhere.

The party's new leader will be announced June 27 at a convention in Markham.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/n.....story.html
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Hiller may has surpassed Klees on my ballot.

As for Christine Elliott,
What can I say, more of what I saw from John Tory.

The concept of being Conservative if necessary but not necessarily Conservative because me may lose votes from the left is not a noble cause to rally around as far as I am concerned.

With my luck she will win on the third ballot...

Last edited by cosmostein on Fri May 22, 2009 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the (P)CPO have a video of the debate? That's something they should consider putting up on their website IMO.

Jump to: