Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I suppose I don't have a dog in this fight, I do want to see Ontario with some solid conservative leadership. Considering how far away the provincial election is, it seems like there should be some consideration on not only who is most electable, but also on who will best re-energergize and build the party base.

To be honest, I don't think Hudak is that person. He's run a very slick campaign, done a lot of baby kissing and collected endorsements from all the right people - but he seems reluctant at best to adopt truly conservative stances, HRC pontifications aside.

Elliot has been suprising, to the point where I can't help but wonder in the Toronto Star was engaging in reverse psychology by endorsing her (the question has been raised - has she actually been endorsed, or is this just spin?).

Hillier still seems like the best choice, if a bit of a gamble, and the arguments raised against him are very similar in logic to the reasoning behind choosing Tory as leader (ie. Hillier is too extreme and can't win in Toronto / Tory is a moderate who can win in Toronto).

The campaign is now in the persuasion phase, and things may change. But if I was in Ontario, I'd be looking at Hillier first and Elliot second, and unsure about the rankings of Hudak and Klees.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuralandRight wrote:
Scary shite ... The days of Ontario's free market economy are coming to an end :shock:

"The days of Government quietly presiding over the gradual evolution of the economy are behind us" ... comrades
- Dalton McComrade Csar of Ontaristan

Indeed!
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Initially I thought I would be backing him, especially after Harris endorsed him, but his policies have been disappointing.

I love Harris but remember....he also backed Belinda.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
I`m going for Elliot mostly due to the flat tax and her plan to get the party ready for an election.

As others have said, Hudak is unimpressive, Hillier is a great guy with great policies but I can`t see him becoming Premier. For some reason I`ve never liked Klees. He comes off as too slick for me.

Was Elliot actually endorsed by the Star? I recall seeing an editorial of their saying that it will be interesting to see how McGuinty performs against two female opposition leaders but I don`t recall an actual endorsement.

its important to note the the toronto star hasn't actually endorsed anyone , one columist Jim Coyle wrote an article suportive of elliott about a month ago called can a woman fluster the premier or something along that line but the paper itself hasn't endorsed anyone from what i have seen .
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a lot of folks seem to be aboard the Christine Elliot train,
I am still squarely in the camp that she is the one candidate that could return me to my exiled state as a Provincial Political Free Agent.

While the Flat Tax policy is nice,
I find the rest of her platform is fluff and in the case of her "tough" stance on crime something I would have expected from the NDP.

She seems to project the stance that she is tough on crime, but there seemed to be very little end game. She has called for a full public inquiry into the bail, probation and parole systems but really hasn't taken command of a position as to what the endgame should be, just a "hold an inquiry and wait" approach and that normally means a vapor-promise.

And creating funding provide support for community-friendly alternative youth programming in areas with high at risk youth, is something I would expect the NDP to try and sell me right after they told me that the Criminal Justice System is not about Justice or Punishment its solely about rehabilitation and giving a criminal another chance...

As for her aid to business,
Again, I am just not seeing anything out of her.

“Seven minimum wage increases in just six years is far too many,”

Yeah, I think even some Liberals would agree with that statement. The concept of asking for a four year freeze after she is elected (which would basically be starting in 2011 with policy that would not take effect till 2012 at the earliest) is nice but I expect the economy to be recovered mostly by that point, and if anything I want to hear about reductions in taxation to business coupled with grants and benefits to attract international business to Canada,

Something only Hudak has even touched on.

Elliott may have laid a single golden egg, but that is no where near enough to make me consider her a top three pick.

Hiller, Hudak, and Klees for all their issues have firm Conservative records that I can look back on and have no issue with any of the three being truly right of center if they are elected.

Elliott on the other hand reminds me of the whole John Tory thing all over again.

She is "Conservative Enough" and is generally "Appealing Enough" to the center that we should be able to win a general with her at the helm.

She is a compromise with my principals, one I made with John Tory that I will not make again.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:

To be honest, I don't think Hudak is that person. He's run a very slick campaign, done a lot of baby kissing and collected endorsements from all the right people - but he seems reluctant at best to adopt truly conservative stances, HRC pontifications aside.

Hudak's campaign reminds me very much of Harpers in 2003.
Forward looking, targeting the opposition and largely ignoring everyone around him with a moving forward approach as though he has already won.

That rubs me the wrong way, but at the same time its hard to question his record as a Conservatives for the last decade +
JDot

votes: 5

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
I will withhold judgement until after the debates. The campaign is only half over, now the work to keep those members in your base, and make sure they vote has begun.

Co-sign...

Frankly, this race has surprised me. But at this point I am still behind Tim Hudak. But I have to say Mrs. Elliott has done a great job.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, Hudak`s economic polices have me shaking my head.

It`s mostly band-aid tinkering and temporary reductions IMO.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my observations on the race so far / what i've got from each campaign

Hudak - 2 plain white envelopes / letters , that contained a pamplet / letter
- dozens and dozens of phone calls to my cell number from a 416 number which is his campaign calling , i answered once and said i was undecided and i think they just about hung up then
- lots of emails , with good information in them

Elliott - 3 letters all to a different version of my address , with no colour or pamplets
- 2 calls one early on , 1 recently where i was asked some policy questions
- lots of emails as well

Hillier - nothing in mail
- 1 call where some girl asked 2 questions then ended it
- no emails

Klees - 1 postcard type mail out
- 1 phone call , was a very inexperienced person who couldn't understand me and told me he was going to mail me an informaton package , but didn't seem to be able to hear me speak or properly record my mailing address , have yet to ever rechive this
- no emails

so the hudak and elliott campaigns seem to be the most organized and there the only 2 candidates who have visited my riding so far .
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve got calls from Hudak, Klees and Elliot.

Postcards from Hillier, Hudak and Elliot.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The call I received from Tim Hudak's campaign turned me off of him a little, I was asked if i would support Tim and my reply was that I was considering supporting him, then the campaigner went into high pressure fund raising tactics starting at asking for a $200 donation. I was pretty much behind Hudak until that point.

Anyhow, I received recorded call from Hillier and Klees as well as mail from all 4 candidates.

I am leaning towards Hiller for his policies, however I am unsure if he can turn Ontario back to Tory Blue.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus far I have received calls from all four candidates and some degree of literature from all four candidates.

From the Hudak and Elliott campaigns almost daily.

I explained to the Hudak folks that I am leaning but on the fence, which then prompted them to ask if I wanted to make a donation. :roll:

The Klees and Hiller folk were more interested in asking me a few odd policy questions rather then asking for money.

The Elliott folks asked me if they had my support, I very nicely said that it was not looking likely, and then I was asked for a donation :lol: '

Always fun.
Northern Ontario Tory

Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4Reputation: 44.4

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard from a number of people that Elliott appeared to be backing off the flat tax when she appeared on Goldhawk Live this week. The commitment to the flat tax seemed to be very vague, leaving it open to interpretation that it may never come to pass even if she wins. Additionally, it was mentioned that the surtax on higher incomes is specifically being retained. There doesn't seem to be any video of this available online yet......has anyone seen this show? Comments? Combined with the fact that no details are forthcoming on her ideas in regards to the human rights issue, I am now leaning towards Hillier only on my ballot and leaving the rest off completely.....I'm growing weary of pretend conservatives and Red Tories who will say whatever it takes to win. At least Hillier is straightforward and an unapologetic Blue Tory. It's time that we actually stood FOR something, instead of being simply AGAINST everything.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Ontario Tory wrote:
I have heard from a number of people that Elliott appeared to be backing off the flat tax when she appeared on Goldhawk Live this week. The commitment to the flat tax seemed to be very vague, leaving it open to interpretation that it may never come to pass even if she wins.

That pretty well sums up her entire platform.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: