Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Tories say party lists misused - by Provincial Tories Reply with quote

Tories say party lists misused - by Tories

Federal Conservatives send warning letter to four Ontario PC leadership contenders

May 15, 2009 04:30 AM
Be the first to comment on this article...
Robert Benzie
Queen's Park Bureau Chief

The federal Conservatives are crying foul against their provincial cousins in Ontario for alleged misuse of the national party's membership list.

Doug Finley, key architect of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's two election wins and the national party's director of political operations, has complained to all four provincial Progressive Conservative leadership campaigns over the issue.

"It has come to our attention that at least one leadership campaign team has been using Conservative party lists in an effort to recruit new members to the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario," Finley wrote Wednesday.

"I would like to remind all campaign teams that Conservative party data is the property of the Conservative Party of Canada and is not to be used by any of the leadership campaign teams in any form," he continued.

"We will continue to monitor the situation and will take the necessary action to ensure compliance."

The missive was sent to Andrew Boddington, Tristan Emmanuel, Mark Spiro and Paul Sutherland, senior campaign officials with candidates and MPPs Christine Elliott (Whitby-Oshawa), Randy Hillier (Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox and Addington), Tim Hudak (Niagara West-Glanbrook) and Frank Klees (Newmarket-Aurora), respectively.

Provincial party president Ken Zeise, who was copied on Finley's missive, said it's a moot point now since the cutoff to join the PC party to vote in the June 27 leadership contest passed at 10 p.m. yesterday.

"Doug's letter didn't go into much detail and I didn't feel the need to follow up," Zeise said in an interview. "As of Thursday at 10 p.m., who will care?"

While Zeise acknowledged privacy laws force parties to guard their membership lists closely, he said it's possible a federal list was inadvertently slipped to a provincial candidate because both organizations use the same database firm.

Before last night's deadline there were about 13,000 provincial party members. The number is expected to jump to around 30,000 when all four candidates tally up their membership sales.

A source close to one candidate suggested "every campaign is using part of the federal list" because Conservative MPs can easily share it with the leadership hopefuls they are supporting.

"Most of us have at least one MP supporting us and they've all got access to riding lists," said the insider.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/634673
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a perfect example of the dangers of parties from seperate levels of government getting too cozy. While I realize that there will be activists who work in provincial and national campaigns, there has to be a line.
nathaliejcaron

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It surprises me that it took Finley and the CPC that long to complain about this use.

Either they are complaining this late because they were not aware (which I doubt) or because they were OK with the PC candidates using the lists, but to protect their integrity in front of the law, came out at the last minute with this statement.

The later is most likely, in my opinion.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathaliejcaron wrote:
It surprises me that it took Finley and the CPC that long to complain about this use.

Either they are complaining this late because they were not aware (which I doubt) or because they were OK with the PC candidates using the lists, but to protect their integrity in front of the law, came out at the last minute with this statement.

The later is most likely, in my opinion.

Sadly, that's probably true.

Jump to: