Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Ignatieff to meet with Obama's inner circle Reply with quote

OTTAWA -- Michael Ignatieff will hold private meetings in Washington this week with President Barack Obama's inner circle in a move to showcase the Liberal leader's close bonds to the Democratic administration and a possible one-on-one meeting with the popular U.S. President before the next general election.

Anyone remember when people used to blame Stephen Harper for being too close to the Americans (err Bush...)? I do! In fact, I just read something today!

"Oh but Harper wants to be buddies with Obama, so now Harper will dig into our pockets again & through away billions to please Obama. So far is all Harper has done is follow the USA. We need a leader for our country, Harper is a follower not a leader. At least the liberals have always stood up for Canada."

WHAT?

I bet Iggy creamed his pants as soon as he touched Obama's hand, if not before! No doubt Harper wants to be seen as close with Obama. It's political gold, I can't blame him, actually. If that's the case... But I'm not sure. But Samual, the oh so proud Liberal poster at CTV seems to think Count Iggy is more of a patriot then the PM.

Michael who lived in the US for how many years. Michael who taught at Harvard. Michael who so fondly mentioned that he taught some of the people that are now aides to President Obama... GIVE ME A BREAK!
concerned

Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1Reputation: 42.1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Fife talked about this on Canada AM this morning. Fife mentioned that the Obama administration is keen on these meetings as they see Ignatieff becoming the next PM of Canada. Fife also mentioned that the PMO has to be very concerned about these meetings.

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/lates.....clip163990
http://watch.ctv.ca/news/lates.....clip164046

Last edited by concerned on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think the conservatives should get too close to either of the american parties at the moment , they just need to show they can get along with whoever is in power down there and that there will be no american relations problems .

geting close to obama is not necessary especialy if we don't agree with some of his policy or the direction where he is trying to take the US ( which appears to be very left wing ) , we just need to get along with obama , a love fest for him is totally unnecessary especially considering his lack of results on the economy so far in the US . he has not earned his status as a saviour when many states have seen there unemployment % go into the 10 % range and hundreds of thousands of jobs have been lost since he became president .
DavidK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

concerned wrote:
Bob Fife talked about this on Canada AM this morning. Fife mentioned that the Obama administration is keen on these meetings as they see Ignatieff becoming the next PM of Canada. Fife also mentioned that the PMO has to be very concerned about these meetings.

I'm not too concerned. Maybe it's just wishful thinking...
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Obama administration thinks Iggy will win the next election?

This is nothing new. Mulroney met with Reagan when he was opposition leader, as Harper met with Bush when he was opposition leader.
DavidK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:

This is nothing new. Mulroney met with Reagan when he was opposition leader, as Harper met with Bush when he was opposition leader.

But Mulroney ended up winning, as did Harper. If history is a sign, what does that say to us should we go into an election?
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
SFrank85 wrote:

But Mulroney ended up winning, as did Harper. If history is a sign, what does that say to us should we go into an election?

If you want to go by History, then we are screwed. I wonder if Stanfield met Nixon or Ford?
DavidK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFrank85 wrote:
DavidK wrote:
SFrank85 wrote:

If you want to go by History, then we are screwed. I wonder if Stanfield met Nixon or Ford?

I refuse to throw in the towel - we can fight until we can't any longer
John Larocque

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iggy's uncle, George Grant, wrote a book on how a Democratic President helped undermine a Conservative Prime Minister... It's not that this hasn't happened before. I just hope it doesn't happen now.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidK wrote:
concerned wrote:

I'm not too concerned. Maybe it's just wishful thinking...

this sounds like wishful thinking ,but if the obama administration is trying to influence the canadian election or our politics , harper should consider some serious options such as high level meetings with them to explain that the harper government can work with the obama administration , up to even pulling the ambassador to the US if the threat is that serious just to prove a point that we don't appreciate this kind of interference .
905 Tory

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why the PMO is surprised. Didn't the media hint at this happening for months? As far as I am concerned, I could care less. I already knew that the Democrats and Liberals are as close as a married couple. Didn't Howard Dean speak at a Liberal Convention years back? If the PMO is scared shitless, then send Harper down to Washington D.C. to have a one day meeting with Obama and friends. We don't have to do that but if the PMO is freaking out, that option is on the table and not too hard to manifest.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen Harper already beat him to it. But considering Janet Napolitino blamed Canada for the 9/11 terrorists, I really don't see any benefit. Of course, our Liberal loving media will say he's got SOOOO many friends and they love him. We love him. Canadians love him.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nothing. Be more worried about interference during an actual election - Obama has a history of 'participating' in foreign elections going back to his days as a US Senator. He also accepted donations from Canadians and many, many, volunteers during the presidential campaign, so he may be inclined to return the favour in some way...
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
This is nothing. Be more worried about interference during an actual election - Obama has a history of 'participating' in foreign elections going back to his days as a US Senator. He also accepted donations from Canadians and many, many, volunteers during the presidential campaign, so he may be inclined to return the favour in some way...

you might have some good points there the democrats have excepted canadian help and alot of it during the last 2 or 3 american elections . some of those supporters may be now asking for something in return or feel that since they helped obama he sort of owes them .
but i certainly would hope that obama would not get involved with our election as that would set a horrible example and be nothing sort of an attempt to over throw canada's democratically elected government by american's .
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So your point is when Conservative leaders of the opposition meet with the President they become Prime Minister? :P

As far as the Dems working with the Liberals, Harper should point out that the CPC is probably closer on the political spectrum to the Dems than the the liberals are!

I did hear the Libs bought the Dems software from the last election. Considering how Obama was a money making machine I might be worried about that.

Jump to: