Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think about the Alternate Canadian Flag?
I like it but we should stay with the current Maple Leaf.
29%
 29%  [ 9 ]
I like it but we should go back to the Red Ensign.
32%
 32%  [ 10 ]
I like it and we should make it the new Canadian flag.
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
I don't like it.
32%
 32%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 31

teabag

votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the present flag because of it's simplicity. Our flag is recognized throughout the world and after 44 years it deserves to stay the same. I was one of the ones that was slow to accept the change from the red ensign but I have grown to love our flag. Children can draw it because it is simple.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think abandoning the Red Ensign was a mistake, but as others have said, the Maple Leaf is widely known and accepted. I fly the Ensign on Canada Day, but our current flag is a fine one that I'm just as proud to display.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only problem with the current flag is that it does not have any blue in it. The two bars at the end should be blue, representing conservatives..I mean the oceans!
Disgruntled Reformer

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current flag...like Teabag said, it is easier for kids to draw.

Don't mind the blue on the bars though, that was funny SFrank!
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the original "Pearson-Pennant" which had blue bars along the side and three red leaves in the middle.
Zephyr

Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad we moved to our own flag. We should be an independent country, not a derivative of Europe.
SFrank85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephyr wrote:
I'm glad we moved to our own flag. We should be an independent country, not a derivative of Europe.

We should be thankful we developed the English Common Law and the parliamentary system. Things could have been a lot worse. We should embrace our history more, and not ignore it.
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Quote:
We should be thankful we developed the English Common Law and the parliamentary system. Things could have been a lot worse. We should embrace our history more, and not ignore it.

Yes especially our heroics against the Nazis and japanese.
Some Guy 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its just because I've known nothing but the Maple Leave, but I could never imagine saluting any other symbol.
Zephyr

Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8Reputation: 8.8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hoffer wrote:
Maybe its just because I've known nothing but the Maple Leave, but I could never imagine saluting any other symbol.

Canada: Love It Or Leaf It.
SFrank85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donít get me wrong, I still like our Maple Leaf flag, but I also really like the Red Ensign!
orenda14

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally served under the ensign and have a soft spot for it, when Pearson rammed the Maple Leaf flag down our throats I was really ticked. I did not think much of the new flag until Canada beat Russia in the 72 hockey series, at that point it kind of looked good, however, now that a number of our young men and woman have served, fought, bled and died under the Maple Leaf, its ours, I think it has earned our loyalty and for all my love for thr Red Ensign I now proudly fly the Maple Leaf ( although I still have no use for Pearson)
teabag

votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Pearson may have rammed the flag through at least that did become accepted over the years. Trudeau sure topped that with Multiculturism or as I like to say Tribalism.
Karetka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has taken me a long time to accept the current flag but at long last I am prepared to display it. I am old enough to remember the day it was first raised and when the rd ensign came down - a very sad day for me. The turning point was when it was used to cover the coffins or our soldiers who died in combat in Afghanistan. Years ago I had a discussion with a high school friend on the significance of the current flag and he said that it will only acquire true meaning in an event such as a war and these were very prophetic words. When I see that flag I now associate it with our fallen soldiers and it has acquired an entirely new meaning for me. However I still retain a strong affinity for the red ensign and will display it beside the current flag.
bsenka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn.

On one hand I do think we need to hang on to our roots, and recognize the past.

However, I think these things need to be more ceremonial and less official than they currently are.

So, no return to the ensign or even a new option, keep the maple leaf. Perhaps have the G.G. sport the red ensign though, keep it flying over her residence, raised wherever she visits, etc.

Also, cut the G.G's power entirely. Make her role simultaneously more prominent, and without any power. All ceremonial.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: