Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Does God Exist? Reply with quote

Does God exist? Here are six straight-forward reasons to believe that God is really there.
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep god exists.
905 Tory

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there's a God. I can never convince myself there isn't. However, people's notion of God is flawed for the most part. People think they understand it completely and things like that. God is so immense so ever-present that we'll never come around to understanding it completely. I say "it" because my notion of God is beyond time, gender, limits, life, death, hate, etc. I believe that God is around you, within you, above you, etc., etc., etc. God is this ever-present force, and the only way we can get closer to it is through our inner feelings and thoughts not on the outside or by saying something and believing something else. We can donate all we have and say this and that but if we never believe and feel it, we'll never truly reach what every religion promises you will reach. I know the traditional notion is that thoughts and feelings are harmless but I reject that.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

905 Tory wrote:
Of course there's a God. I can never convince myself there isn't. However, people's notion of God is flawed for the most part. People think they understand it completely and things like that. God is so immense so ever-present that we'll never come around to understanding it completely. I say "it" because my notion of God is beyond time, gender, limits, life, death, hate, etc. I believe that God is around you, within you, above you, etc., etc., etc. God is this ever-present force, and the only way we can get closer to it is through our inner feelings and thoughts not on the outside or by saying something and believing something else. We can donate all we have and say this and that but if we never believe and feel it, we'll never truly reach what every religion promises you will reach. I know the traditional notion is that thoughts and feelings are harmless but I reject that.

I would agree with that point. Although as a Christian, I also believe that God did come in human form, through Jesus Christ, because God knows that we humans cannot picture God unless we picture him in the human form, which is normal because it is hard for us to comprehend non-human forms.
DavidK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Does God Exist? Reply with quote

Does God exist? Here are six straight-forward reasons to believe that God is really there.
^^ Click me
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
Quote:

I only agree that reason's 2,3 and 6 prove god.
lucamanfredi

Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3Reputation: 41.3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If God exists, he either sees the future or sees the choices we will be faced with and the paths these choices may lead us to. Ergo God either saw WW2 or the appeasement/non-appeasement debate.

Evidence of God's intervention is scarce since the times information ceased being based solely on hearsay or authoritative mystification. Ergo even if one does believe in creation and intelligent design, God created the world and merely checks the output ticker.

If God created us and left us to our means, we have free will and will be judged by how we use it. Our code of morality prevents us from engaging in evil deeds unless we choose to do so, whether we believe in God or not we will not kill another person unless we choose to do harm. (pure accidents are random occurrences due to coincidence)

Ergo, if God doesn't seem to care except for the output and will not intervene in our affairs, if God-inspired "strength" is something we inherently possess and use prayer merely as a way to tap into it, if "good" and "evil" exist beyond religious reasoning but as parameters for us to determine and choose between....

does God matter?
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ergo, if God doesn't seem to care except for the output and will not intervene in our affairs, if God-inspired "strength" is something we inherently possess and use prayer merely as a way to tap into it, if "good" and "evil" exist beyond religious reasoning but as parameters for us to determine and choose between....

does God matter?

Why don't you ask God? The problem in knowing whether or not God exist is that no one expects to encounter him.

I thought where is this God? My pastor challeged me to listen for his voice. I prayed and asked him to talk to me. He did, and still does.

Example: I was in Florida and felt the Lord tell me to go to a specific church. During worship the verse John 20 came to my mind - the one where Jesus reinstates Peter by asking him 3 times does he love him.

After worship the pastor introduced a man a former bapist pastor who preached on(you guessed it) Peters denial of Jesus. (I always expect God to confirm that he wants me to give someone a word before I do it).

After the service I went to him read him the passage John 20 and asked him three times if he loved Jesus. He confirmed that he did. This was God's way of restoring this man to active ministry in the Church. I confirmed this with the pastor.

If you give God a chance he performs miracles in your life. Expect him to talk to you and he will. It's the greatest relationship you can have.
SmartCon

votes: 6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the words of the great Philosopher J.S. Mill on God:

"If we reason directly from Godís goodness to positive facts, no misery, nor vice nor crime ought to exist in the world. We can see no reason in Godís goodness why if he deviated once from the ordinary system of his government in order to do good to man, he should not have done so on a hundred other occasions; nor why, if the benefit aimed at by some given deviation, such as the revelation of Christianity, was transcendent and unique, that precious gift should only have been vouchsafed after the lapse of many ages; or why, when it was at last given, the evidence of it should have been left open to so much doubt and difficulty. Let it be remembered also that the goodness of God affords no presumption in favour of a deviation from his general system of government unless the good purpose could not have been attained without deviation. If God intended that mankind should receive Christianity or any other gift, it would have agreed better with all that we know of his government to have made provision in the scheme of creation for its arising at the appointed time by natural development; which, let it be added, all the knowledge we now possess concerning the history of the human mind, tends to the conclusion that it actually did.

To all these considerations ought to be added the extremely imperfect nature of the testimony itself which we possess for the miracles, real or supposed, which accompanied the foundation of Christianity and of every other revealed religion. Take it at the best, it is the uncross-examined testimony of extremely ignorant people, credulous as such usually are, honourably credulous when the excellence of the doctrine or just reverence for the teacher makes them eager to believe; unaccustomed to draw the line between the perceptions of sense, and what is superinduced upon them by the suggestions of a lively imagination; unversed in the difficult art of deciding between appearance and reality, and between the natural and the supernatural; in times, moreover, when no one thought it worth while to contradict any alleged miracle, because it was the belief of the age that miracles in themselves proved nothing, since they could be worked by a lying spirit as well as by the spirit of God. Such were the witnesses; and even of them we do not possess the direct testimony; the documents, of date long subsequent, even on the orthodox theory, which contain the only history of these events, very often do not even name the supposed eye-witnesses. They put down (it is but just to admit), the best and least absurd of the wonderful stories such multitudes of which were current among the early Christians; but when they do, exceptionally, name any of the persons who were the subjects or spectators of the miracle, they doubtless draw from tradition, and mention those names with which the story was in the popular mind, (perhaps accidentally) connected: for whoever has observed the way in which even now a story grows up from some small foundation, taking on additional details at every step, knows well how from being at first anonymous it gets names attached to it; the name of some one by whom perhaps the story has been told, being brought into the story itself first as a witness, and still later as a party concerned."

Look up Mill's Essays on Religion for further reading.
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mills is always good, though I wish he'd been edited by someone with a fondness for periods... the jury is out on whether Mills was agnostic or just extremely unorthodox, but if I recall he argued extensively that Faith could only be improved by freedom of inquiry, consciences, and expression.
SmartCon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF_Canuck wrote:
Mills is always good, though I wish he'd been edited by someone with a fondness for periods... the jury is out on whether Mills was agnostic or just extremely unorthodox, but if I recall he argued extensively that Faith could only be improved by freedom of inquiry, consciences, and expression.

That is correct. He essentially denounced any book (ie Bible, Kornan .etc) as the word of God. I think he said somewhere that by logic a greater being had to exist as well, though I can't remember where he wrote that off hand.

Yes, periods would be nice. A sentence the size of a paragraph in todays English is not all to common.
905 Tory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I see it: God is not a man sitting in the clouds behind a big Golden gate or anything. We can't be taking that stuff literally. As well, we can't be taking anything in any religion literally other than the fact the God exists. Ultimately, that's what all these religions have taught us and each religion has tried to make it so that the force of God flows through us to make our life complete.

To tell you guys the truth, this is how I interpret all these religions. Multiple fingers pointing to the moon, while all the followers are focused on the finger and not on the ever important moon.
FoxtrotBravo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

905 Tory wrote:
To tell you guys the truth, this is how I interpret all these religions. Multiple fingers pointing to the moon, while all the followers are focused on the finger and not on the ever important moon.

Well said.
I explain my view on God and religion in a similar way: I believe and have great faith in the value of the message ... but the "messenger" hocus-pocus is dated and unnecessary.
SmartCon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make people think.

If there is a God, then who created God? Then who created the being that created God? The list goes on.

On the other hand, pose the question this way. Does God not exist? What evidence is there that God does not?
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was praying one night before a meeting at church and asked God to speak to me. He gave me a verse to tell the meeting from Corinthians which ended "For we have the mind of Christ"

At the meeting the next day we bowed our heads and the pastor asked God to speak to us. The first person who spoke said "For we have the Mind of Christ"

Blew me away.

I take it the way you guys ignored my first post that you either

1. don't appreciate the fact that you can know God
or
2. don't care to know God

The reason we know of God is because people listened to him speak to them and wrote his word down in Holy books. He still speaks to us today.

Ask him to speak to you and he will. Ask him to reveal himself and he will.

It a hard thing to do. It gets easier after you have experienced a few miracles.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  

Jump to: