Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: DND and Industry in Procurement Fight Reply with quote

I don't have the words for how much I hate this kind of BS:

Ottawa Citizen wrote:
A $3-billion Canadian Forces aircraft project has sparked a battle between federal departments over growing concerns that recent military procurements have not created enough domestic jobs...

..."It's about time someone is pushing back against the Defence Department," said Roland Kiehne, president of the Canadian Autoworkers Local 112, which represents 3,300 workers at four major aerospace firms in the Toronto area. "We've seen absolutely no work, no industrial benefits from the money spent so far."...
Source
The Department of National Defense is not a welfare agency. When they set out their requirements and choose equipment, they aim for the best capabilities possible, at the highest quality possibile, for the lowest cost possible. Benefits to Canadian Industry should enter in to the equation only when selecting between multiple options that offer the same capability, quality, and cost, if at all. It is the least that can be done for people risking their lives to protect ours.

To suggest that the senior leadership of the CF, demonstrably some of the most patriotic Canadians around, would purposefully alter capability requirements to exclude Canadian manufacturers is slanderous and shameful, and Kiehne and his ilk are beneath contempt for doing so.
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just ridiculous. When we spend X times the price of something comparable because we need to support Canadian industry. Pah-leeze!
crazymamma

votes: 14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it but this is just another case of SOME UNIONS being out of touch with their importance and the realities of todays world.

Have the best product at the best price and you have work, you don't? Figure out how to be the best product at the right price or go limp off somewhere to die your natural death/suicide.

Before anyone has a hissy fit, I am not anti-union per se....but it is reality check time.
TJRanth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezbeatz wrote:
This is just ridiculous. When we spend X times the price of something comparable because we need to support Canadian industry. Pah-leeze!

I don't think this is the stupidest thing I've heard from a union rep, but we seem to be getting close to the stage where I start "rebooting" union leaders with my boots.
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we should be building this stuff in Canada for a small extra cost. Though UNIONS make it so that it is financial suicide to make anything besides ndp supporters in Canada.
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only build it in Canada if the quality of the product is one of the best in the world. I will not be willing to risk our soldiers just to please unions!

Jump to: