Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FoxtrotBravo

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Steve Paikin, TVO, and the CBC Reply with quote

Steve Paikin at TVO, in my opinion, is by far the most interesting, intelligent, informed, and unbiased Canadian journalist that I have seen.

Paikin seems to take his trade extremely seriously, does his research, keeps his guests on topic and to the facts, and (from what I have seen) seems to keep his own politics out of sight, or at least under control. He seems to be neither arrogant, conceded, nor antagonistic: the trade mark of almost all other prominent Canadian news people.

Last night Paikin lead a discussion on the legacy of Brian Mulroney (on the occaison of his 70th birthday). Can you imagine what this discussion would have been like on the CBC? In his case, Paikin kept his panelists, which included Sheila Copps, to the facts; there was no mud slinging, or hand wringing.

It would be great if Paikin, or someone of his caliber, were running the news departments at the CBC so that everyone around the country could have a chance to see this type of journalism. Peter Mansbridge, in my opinion, could be reassigned to say ... bringing Paikin his coffee, shining his shoes, and emptying his garbage can.

A job is being well done by Steve Paikin and his department at TVO, and I think that should be acknowledged. Any other comments or opinions? I only watch his show occasionally because of the time slot, so maybe I'm missing something.

(I was a bit disappointed in his handling of the leader's debate in the fall, where he seemed to lose control and let the leaders grandstand and run off topic).

Jump to: