Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your religious persuasion (or there lack of)
1) Christianity (all forms, Catholicism, Christian Protestants, Christian Orthodox)
50%
 50%  [ 35 ]
2) Atheism
20%
 20%  [ 14 ]
3) Agnostic (Don't Know)
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
4) Theist with no organized religion
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
5) Other
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 69

FascistLibertarian

votes: 14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe they deny it bc jesus didnt do all the stuff he was supposed to do if he was the son of god?
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
maybe they deny it bc jesus didnt do all the stuff he was supposed to do if he was the son of god?

Jesus fulfilled hundreds of messianic prophecies but not all, so that is part of it. The Jews at the time of Jesus were looking for a saviour to lead them to triumph over the Romans.

The Old testament almost seems to talk about 2 messiahs a triumphant one and a suffering one. Christians explain this by saying Jesus will come again to fulfill the triumphant prophecies.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I see no evidence God exists, and the same evidence exists for my invisible man under my bed, so why consider either.

For not beleiving in the invisible man he sure did talk about him enough.

I guess he's the invisible man now.
urbanmonk

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleatmop wrote:
westmanguy wrote:
But Judaism and Christianity share the First Testament.

Judaists - in my opinion - are stubborn to not believe Jesus Christ isn't the messiah.

Christianity - exclusive? Anyone of any colour, gender, can be a Christian.

It's exclusive because it doesn't allow their believers to worship other religions at the same time. Many other religions do allow this.

Thanks Bleatmop, that is what I meant.
These three religions will always generate friction.
Zak

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
I've never understood how someone could call themselves an atheist. Nobody knows why we are here so at the very least you should call yourself an agnostic. You don't have proof as to why we are here so how can you absolutely discount one possible option?

While this is true by definition, I see myself as an atheist by default (i.e. there is no god until proven otherwise), while agnostics are simply fence sitters who don't take a position at all. I can't prove there is no god (so there is always that possibility) but I see it as the believer's responsibility to prove there is.

Until then, people should be free to believe what they want as long they pay for it themselves :)
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zak wrote:
Craig wrote:
I've never understood how someone could call themselves an atheist. Nobody knows why we are here so at the very least you should call yourself an agnostic. You don't have proof as to why we are here so how can you absolutely discount one possible option?

While this is true by definition, I see myself as an atheist by default (i.e. there is no god until proven otherwise), while agnostics are simply fence sitters who don't take a position at all. I can't prove there is no god (so there is always that possibility) but I see it as the believer's responsibility to prove there is.

Until then, people should be free to believe what they want as long they pay for it themselves :)

I find my thinking to be in line with yours; but I make the distinction between atheist and agnostic at one's willingness to consider the existence/non-existence of god.

Atheists deny the existence of god... they won't accept that there is a possibility god exists.

Agnostics are willing to consider the options... atheists are not.
Bleatmop

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie wrote:
Zak wrote:
Craig wrote:

I find my thinking to be in line with yours; but I make the distinction between atheist and agnostic at one's willingness to consider the existence/non-existence of god.

Atheists deny the existence of god... they won't accept that there is a possibility god exists.

I disagree. Being an atheist simply means that you have a absence of belief in any gods. While some atheists do deny the existence of god, that does not mean that all atheists do.

In the strictest definitions of the words, an Atheist does not have a belief in god while an agnostic does not have knowledge of god. At least, that's how I've come to understand the terms. Therefore I see it as being possible to be both an atheist and agnostic, as well as it being possible to be a theist and agnostic at the same time.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie wrote:
Zak wrote:
Craig wrote:

Exactly, agnostics are not "fence sitters". They are skeptics. They don't accept that God exists without proof but they are willing to accept that it is possible. As with any argument it is best to accept the possibility that you are wrong - otherwise known as "keeping an open mind".
Flax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Doubting Thomas who was raised evangelical.
DavidK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flax wrote:
I'm a Doubting Thomas who was raised evangelical.

Even doubting Thomas saw the light!
Rusty Bedsprings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Anglican, though I am interested in Orthodox teachings. Specifically the trilogy and how they treat it, I am told that Anglicans have the most similar views to Orthodox of any Protestant sects though...
SFrank85

votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelical Christian (Salvationist, Salvation Army).
John Larocque

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comfortably Catholic.
RuralandRight

Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5Reputation: 41.5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baptist.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie wrote:

I have a slightly different view on the definition of an atheist.
To me an atheist doesn't rule out the existence of God, but doesn't think it is particularly likely either. I guess an agnostic would be someone who doesn't know either, but who thinks there is at least a pretty good possibility.
To me, someone who completely rules out any possibility of a God would be anti-theist. I know very few people if any who feel this way.

I'd put myself in the atheist category.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

Jump to: