Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: why i stepped down by Laurie Scott Reply with quote

Why I stepped down
Posted By Laurie Scott
Posted 7 hours ago

To the Editor:

I know that many people - perhaps you’re among them - are concerned that I volunteered to step aside for the leader of my party, John Tory.

So I feel it’s important to take a moment to explain why I took this action.

The simple fact is that as Leader of the PC Party of Ontario, as Leader of the Official Opposition and as Ontario’s Premier-in-waiting, John Tory has a strong voice, has more influence and has more ability to get things done for Ontario.

Our province is in serious economic trouble. It’s a crisis that requires immediate and bold action. Ontario needs a viable alternative to the present Liberal government. That alternative is John Tory. I believe it is vital that John Tory has a seat in the Ontario Legislature. Here he cannot only fight for the people of Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock, but the people of Ontario as a whole.

As you know, before I ran for public office my dad was the MP for our riding. It was from him that I learned about loyalty, duty and public service. And I learned about sacrifice in the public interest. Sometimes you have to do what’s best for your country or your province.

So when I’m asked how I could have volunteered to stand aside for John, I think of all of these things, I think of what’s best for you and for our community, I think of the lessons my father taught me.

Please know that representing you has been the greatest honour of my life.

I will never forget and always be humbled by your support. Now I ask you to extend that same support to John Tory.

I will be at his side as his strongest supporter, throughout the by-election and beyond.

Thank you,

Laurie Scott,

Kinmount

http://www.haliburtonecho.ca/A.....?e=1458832
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw this on my travels today and though it was interesting .
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Severence, no pension for Scott
Posted By Chad Ingram
Posted 8 hours ago

Former MPP Laurie Scott will not be receiving a pension from the provincial government following her January 9 decision to vacate her seat to allow PC leader John Tory a shot at carrying the riding.

While rumours have been circling locally about just what sort of financial compensation Scott is receiving from the province, the former MPP said last week that she will definitely not be receiving a pension.

“There is no pension, provincially,” Scott said.

She will be receiving $100,000 in severance pay.

“It’s severance for years worked,” Scott said.

She explained that had she sat more years in Queen’s Park, the cheque would have been bigger.

“It’s basically to help people adjust,” she said.

She added that all former MPPs, whether they are defeated in election, choose not to run again or resign, receive a severance from the province.

Scott is not abandoning politics, however.

She has been named the PC party’s new election readiness chair and will get to work in her new position following the March 5 byelection.

“I will be working for the party to get ready for the next election,” she said.

Continued After Advertisement Below

Advertisement

Scott said her new gig would allow her to remain stationed in the riding, where she will continue to live.

“I’ll still be around, assisting John in the riding,” she said.

As to just who will be the party’s candidate in this riding in the 2011 provincial election, Scott wouldn’t say.

“We haven’t decided that,” she said.

She added that if people wanted to see her back she would consider running, but that perhaps they would rather see the “next premier of Ontario” as their MPP.

Scott was first elected as the MPP for Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock in 2003.

http://www.haliburtonecho.ca/A.....?e=1458826
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... is she out any money? I know shell get that $100000 but what about her salary, will Tory get that?
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there was a rumor going around the riding that she was geting a pension ( even though there is none at the provincial level from what i read ) , i read about it in an article by christina blizzard in the sun . so this article is likely an attempt to clear things up . not really sure how it started or why but small towns can be funny .

who ever wins the by-election gets the mpp salary for the remaining time in her term .
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty Bedsprings wrote:
So... is she out any money? I know shell get that $100000 but what about her salary, will Tory get that?

She got a two year contract with a $150,000 salary from John Tory to head something rather up in the OPC. Tit for tat.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So when I’m asked how I could have volunteered to stand aside for John, I think of all of these things, I think of what’s best for you and for our community, I think of the lessons my father taught me

If this is so, then why did it take her a year and a half to realize it?
lonepretzel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: at least it's not a call for "entitlement" Reply with quote

I hope you can run again or take waldo's seat in the senate

Jump to: