Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: What do the Blue Jays need ? Reply with quote

Given that the Blue Jays are probably looking at a US$80-85M payroll this year, and have about $25-35 in spending room, what would they need to contend against the Yankees ($200M+ payroll), Red Sox ($120M+), Tigers ($90M), Angels ($100M+), White Sox ($85M), and Athletics/Twins/Indians ($85M)?

Clearly, they need a shortstop. John M. did a great job, but the man cannot hit.

They need 1 - perhaps 2 if Lilly goes elsewhere - durable starters. The free agent market is very weak, and the Jays probably cannot afford the big names.

The GM - JP - has talked about getting another bat in the DH spot. However, if they can sign an extension for Vernon (which will not be cheap) and re-sign Molina, my guess is that they would not need to pay for another bat and could instead spend on upgrading their pitching.
McGuire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-Dub is likely gone, the Jays won't be able to afford him. I think they can keep Molina, but i'd rather have Zaun, he's quickly become one of my favourite Jays
Bleatmop

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jays need to invest in better scouts and develop more talent. Then when they develop that talent, they need to retain it. Buying a team doesn't work very well and is too expensive for us.

That, or they need to replace their roster with the Japanese league champions. Call it a team exchange :lol:
cbasu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-Dub would probably be traded, but you would have to replace that power bat in the 3 or 4 spot. Zaun and Molina are not exactly defensive gems behind the plate. Molina has more pop with the bat, and seems to call a better game.
McGuire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaunnie is a very good defensive catcher, especially good at calling a game.
traditional tory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will need a big bat in the outfield (assuming Wells goes). Otherwise the big issues are with the pitching. Two starters plus a couple of setup guys in the pen.
traditional tory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minor system needs work. Teams who compete get big guys from out of there; Verlander, Reyes, most of the Twins, even the Yankees got help from there.
Hasdrubal

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto will need to either trade Wells for one or two very good players, or bring in the unlikely hood Michael Young to Toronto which might convince Wells to sign more cheaply. Major League Baseball should also consider expanding the playoffs, after all if each league had eight teams in the playoffs Toronto would have made it in the last two seasons, but that's not the reason, it would be more entertaining to see a 3rd place team beat out the Yanks especially if that team fisnished 81-81. :wink: Also I believe Vancouver is more then capable of fielding a Major League Baseball team, dare I say a Toronto-Vancouver, & Vancouver-Seattle rivally. :D
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright here's my dream lineup for the Toronto Blue Jays:

Catcher - Michael Moore/ his backup: Fidel Castro
1B - Jack Layton his backup: Hedi Fry
2B - Bill Clinton/ his backup: Monica Lewinsky
SS - Jean Chrietien/ his backup: Paul Martin
3B - Scott Brison
LF - John Kerry
CF - Vldamir Putin/ his backup: Hillary Clinton
RF - Osama Bin Laden/ his backup: Saddam Hussien

Like I said it's my dream lineup, you know like a total nightmare. :lol:
McGuire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Jays have taken a "Big" step forward

Quote:
The Toronto Blue Jays finalized a two-year, $18 million contract with veteran slugger Frank Thomas on Friday.

The Blue Jays reached a tentative deal with the 38-year-old designated hitter Wednesday night and spent Thursday wrapping up the details.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/.....id=2665836
cbasu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Frank Thomas Reply with quote

McGuire wrote:

Hope it doesn't "hurt" them where and when it counts. This should allow JP flexibility with Vernon's future, and will probably help him in signing other big name stars. I wonder if Zito might become interested in the Jays, although his numbers (especially against AL East and Central teams) are not that great.
Hasdrubal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGuire wrote:

Quote:
The Toronto Blue Jays finalized a two-year, $18 million contract with veteran slugger Frank Thomas on Friday.

The Blue Jays reached a tentative deal with the 38-year-old designated hitter Wednesday night and spent Thursday wrapping up the details.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/.....id=2665836

Ah some good news, adding the Big Hurt should attract some really good players to Toronto, now bring Michael to Toronto, keep Vernon for a cheaper price.
McGuire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to resign Lilly now, keeping him or getting another quality left-hander is the next goal
cbasu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael "Young"? He is probably going to the Red Sox in a trade for Manny Ramirez.

I am not a big fan of Ted Lilly, mainly because you never know which Lilly will show up on any given day. He is looking for a 4+ year contract in the $32-35M range - is he worth it at that price? I would much rather the Jays lock-up Julio Lugo for 5-6 years by spending that kind of money.

Vernon presents a problem for J.P. He will be looking for a 7 or 8 year contract at $15-17M/year. Mid-market teams typically don't go for that kind of contract. I know Vernon is good, but the Jays already have a few big bats in their lineup. Why not trade Vernon - at his peak trade value - for a durable pitcher with a 3.5-4.5 ERA and an infielder/catcher with 1-3 yrs MLB (e.g. Santana/Weaver and Aybar/Figgins from the Angels). Rios would easily fill the fielding void at CF if Wells were to leave.

It may allow JP some flexibility and help develop some of their junior talent. It will also leave room for mid-season pickups and/or free agents next year (when the crop might be more bountiful).

Jump to: