Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Peter Shurman won't run for Ontario pc leadership Reply with quote

PC MPP Shurman says he won't run for leadership
Updated: Tue Mar. 10 2009 11:56:27 AM

The Canadian Press

TORONTO Progressive Conservative Peter Shurman says he's not planning to run for the leadership of the party.

He says there are a number of people who want to do it, and suggested that he may be too old for the job.

The 61-year-old former broadcaster says it's a 10-year commitment to win the leadership and then get the chance to govern Ontario as premier.

Shurman says he wasn't deterred by reports that his colleague Tim Hudak is already the frontrunner and has a lot of party support.

Hudak hasn't formally announced whether he'll run for the top job, but Elizabeth Witmer says she'll consider a bid and Frank Klees is widely expected to run as well.

Conservatives are expected to name an interim leader to replace John Tory on March 23, and pick a new leader in late June.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/.....ntoNewHome
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure how serious a condender for the leadership he would of been anyways ,guess that is tough to know for sure now . my guess is well eventually see 2 -3 serious condenders for the leadership once the campaign gets going .
and age is a factor that hurt shurman as the party is looking for a younger face maybe and someone who will be around for a number of years at queens park .
ezbeatz

Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5Reputation: 49.5
votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's fine. he's really too old. i mean, he'd be 63/4 by the time the next election comes around. ontario would have a case of the mccains.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he has just made himself the front runner to become the interim leader of the party,

I would suspect it will be Peter Shurman or Bob Runciman, although I do expect Bob Runciman to be named to the Senate during the next Ontario opening.

I am glad he bowed out, as we need a good race with a few strong candidates but not a circus like the Liberals had when they ended up with Dion.

Klees, Hudak, Witmer, and Elliot works for me,
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he may be interested in becoming intern leader although that position won't be lasting too long if the new leader is being choosen before july .

even if runicman somehow finds his way into the senate he could still be intern leader till then as i don't think any ontario seats become available till july or around then . the one's available in march and may are in quebec and nova scotia .

shurman might of realised he didn't have the funds or much chance at winning this race .

Jump to: