Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  

what are the liberals chances in alberta
good
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
not that good , maybe 1-2 possible ridings only
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
nothing there for them at all
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 17

RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: liberals chances in alberta Reply with quote

I feel half crazy by even starting this topic considering the liberals have not won any seats in alberta in the last 2 elections and there 2 former mp's from edmonton are not really active anymore and only 1 of them is even still a liberal .
so is iggy just talking tough and full of it , or to the liberals actually have any propects there ? myself i can only go by the numbers and polls as i'm not really from there or been there recently .
in the last election the closest the liberals came to winning a seat in alberta was an edmonton riding where they lost by 10,000 votes . ( although 1 seat did not elect a conservative that being edmoton strathcona where linda duncan ndp won by a very slim margin ) so i'm not sure if there chances are as good as iggy claims they are .

Liberals can win seats in Alberta: Ignatieff
Last Updated: Friday, February 27, 2009 | 5:13 PM MT
CBC News
Michael Ignatieff, leader of the federal Liberals, speaks to Edmonton Chamber of Commerce, on Friday. (CBC) The Liberal party can make gains in Alberta in the next federal election, the party's federal leader said Friday.

In order to do that, the party has to change its message about energy policy and how it relates to the oilsands, Michael Ignatieff said in a speech to the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce.

"We have to incentive-ize efficient energy use for the consumer, for the homeowner, for the car driver, for the industrial producer," Ignatieff said.

"That will then mean that people will come to us 'cause they think 'These guys understand I gotta make a living in this world,' " he said.

The federal Liberal party last held a seat in the province in 2006.

Ignatieff cited the National Energy Policy — implemented by the Liberal government on Oct. 28, 1980 —during his speech citing it as an example of a mistake by the Liberals. He said the policy created the impression that the East wanted to siphon off the wealth of the West.

"I've said very clearly that energy policy is national unity policy, right, and so we have to create a strategy for energy development in Canada in which you don't run against the oilsands," Ignatieff said.

"If we want to keep this country together we've got to acknowledge the incredibly important role that [the oilsands] plays in development of our national economy. It's not just good for Alberta … but we've got to clean it up, and the industry accepts that and we've got to work with them to get it done," Ignatieff said.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calga.....ml?ref=rss
Rusty Bedsprings

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why the lib's are scouting Alberta when they are losing Ontario! :?
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a good question as to why they would not focus there efforts and what little resources they have to somewhere else . maybe the loss of seats in ontario and also places like new brunswick has forced them to desperatley seek possible seats somewhere else .
hatrock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't doubt that there's still a big liberal presence in Edmonton. Keep in mind that they ran a weak candidate in Edm-Strathcona against Rahim Jaffer and NDP Linda Duncan. The result was a left wing coalition to Duncan which she barely won.

If Iggy wants to put in a better candidate in that riding, then it bodes well for Rahim.

In Edm-Centre, where Laurie Hawn is, he won by a wide margin, so unless Anne McLellan gathers her troops around the Liberal, then they have a small chance because the NDP are always weak there.

Other than that, that's about it. Edmonton is pretty locked up by quality Conservative MPs.
NorthernRaven

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Liberals have no chance because there are no ridings even in Edmonton they can win this time. Rahim Jaffer and teh Conservatives learned their lesson NOT to get lazy in Alberta, and expect a lot of canvassers in Edmonton-Strathcona.

And in Laurie Hawn's district, he has that one locked up, particularly since he is the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Defence. Now that the is no vote splitting between PC and Reform parties the Liberals will NOT pick up.

The only other case would be in a riding where a Conservative Candidate losses (or choosen over) at riding nomination phase and runs as an Independent, like James Ford did in Edmonton-Sheerwood Park (nearly winning), cause a vote split. But besides that where else in Alberta could the Liberals pick up?
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'm not sure what ridings the liberals would be targeting there , i don't see much potential for them there . and i agree laurie hawn seems to have a good hold on edmonton centre and doubt liberals could take it back as even the provincial liberals have lost alot of ground in edmonton.
but i remember back in the 2004 federal election they tried to take a run at lethbridge , think they ran a provincial liberal mla but still came up significantly short . so they might target some odd ridings possibly , anything is possible and with parliaments numbers so tight every seat will count , but even if they target them i doubt they could win any of them .

edmonton strathcona might be the most in play of the edmonton ridings next election , it will be a very tough seat for the ndp to hold . i'd be surprised if they hold it to be honest .
don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't do well in Saskatchewan either... :wink:
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBC News wrote:
"I've said very clearly that energy policy is national unity policy, right, and so we have to create a strategy for energy development in Canada in which you don't run against the oilsands," Ignatieff said.
Meet the new boss, same the old boss. To Albertans, energy policy is provincial policy. It's good to acknowledge the NEP as a mistake, but it does little good if he won't acknowledge that provincial resources are none of his buisiness, which was and remains the underlying problem.

I've said this before, but the Federal Liberals will not be competitive in Alberta until there is a clear shift in their governing philosophy regarding centralization and the division of powers.

Jump to: