Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
truth4freedom

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
Sheesh! How did this topic denigrate into a Christian bashing VS. fundementalist free for all.

I don't quite understand it either.

Let me be clear when I say I am a fundamentalist I simply believe every word of the Bible, from the first to the last to be inerrant and literally true. I have not found one place where the Bible disagrees with itself, even between Old and New Testaments.

With this understanding I cannot and will not cherry pick what I think is right and wrong in the Bible. I also will not elevate myself to the position of God and declare I understand everything to its full extent, or ever will.

I do enjoy a good theological debate but it does not have to degenrate into personal attacks and base logic.

I have tried atheism, agnosticism, Wicca, Celtic Magic, Satansim, Mysticism, Secular Humanism, New Age, and plenty of other ism's. None have stacked up at the end of the day save the gospel of Jesus Christ.
gc

Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4Reputation: 48.4
votes: 16

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrsocko wrote:
GC - Old testament needs to be seen in this context. While morality was here before Christianity our society owes some dues to the culture created by Christianity. I don't understand why you are so hostile and dismissive of it.

Oh, I'm not hostile and dismissive of it, I'm just saying that most of the morals that you attribute to Christianity are really no different than the morals of atheists, or any other religion...
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riley W wrote:
The United Church is actually quite successful in my area...

It's the biggest church in my town, and they just recently built a new church building.

I like the United Church because they are more focused on Christ's message of loving your fellow man, acceptance, tolerance, and I like that they support same-sex marriage.

But supporting abortion makes no sense and has no cohesion at all with the Bible.

Is the UCC really a church anymore? I remember a moderator once saying his three key goals were gay rights, the environment and aboriginals. Sounded more like a politician than a religious leader.
Paul Morrison

Reputation: 38.1Reputation: 38.1Reputation: 38.1Reputation: 38.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Let me be clear when I say I am a fundamentalist I simply believe every word of the Bible, from the first to the last to be inerrant and literally true. I have not found one place where the Bible disagrees with itself, even between Old and New Testaments.

You do not believe every word to be literally true.

For example, when Jesus says 'I am the door', that's not LITERALLY true. Its FIGURATIVELY true. What he means is: "I am the way to eternal life", not that he is a literal door, made out of wood, with a literal knob to be literally turned.

There is no one, and I mean this literally :), no one, who is a complete literalist.

The next logical question, of course, is: 'How do you know when to take something literally, or not'? That is an excellent question worth thinking about.
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

I didn't expect this much hostility on a "conservative" forum.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gc wrote:
I'm just saying that most of the morals that you attribute to Christianity are really no different than the morals of atheists

Yes - some atheists have done a good job of adopting Christian morals. Too bad they don't recognize that and bash Christianity.
paisley_cross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
gc wrote:
I'm just saying that most of the morals that you attribute to Christianity are really no different than the morals of atheists

Yes - some atheists have done a good job of adopting Christian morals. Too bad they don't recognize that and bash Christianity.

Some of the more publicity seeking atheists have gone after Christianity. But its biggest enemies are the left who believe we are now in a "post-religion" society.

I think the outburst over the Morgentaler award shows differently.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So is the Old Testament the word of God or isn't it? How do you choose which parts of it to ignore and which parts of it to listen to? As Don mentioned, it's not like God is going to change his mind, right?

God changed his mind about destroying Nineveh.

Quote:
Anyways, here's what Jesus has to say about the laws in the Old Testament:

"17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."
(Matthew 5:17-1

If you fulfill the law then the law no longer applies.

Jesus fulfilled the law. Because of his sacrifcice there is no longer any penalty for sin in the heavenly realm. Thus the laws on earth that you had to follow to "the letter of the law in order to get to heaven are now just guidelines. The laws that Moses founded in the Desert where for the time in the desert. Because Jesus fulfilled the law the don't have to be followed any longer.

Quote:
So doesn't that mean that Jesus supports the stoning of homosexuals?

No - you who are without sin cast the first stone.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  

Jump to: